Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I'm scared to eat...

So... I was banded on 7/29 and everything went AWESOME. I could not be more happy with this decision.

I was in the hospital until Friday and came home and started my clear liquid diet. I'm still on it and can move up to full liquids tomorrow. Which I'm fine with.

But, I was thinking about a month down the road and maybe it will get better, but, I'm scared to eat and scared even thinking of the possibility of eating.

Anyone ever feel like this? I'm scared of ANYTHING getting stuck and going through the pain of it. I'm babying this band like nobody's business.

On another note, I had my post op appt this morning and I've lost 8 pounds since Thursday and 23 since the start of my pre-op diet on 7/13. YAY me!!!

Well... I think that pretty soon you'll be looking VERY forward to food again! :unsure: But in the meantime, it's good that you are babying your band. It needs lots of good time to heal. When you do move onto real food, start slow, chew a lot, and it'll go well.

Congrats on your fabulous weight loss so far!

Congrats on your weight loss!!!!! :unsure:)

I absolutely remember feeling the same way you did. :tongue2: I felt that every time I moved on to a new stage. I spoke with a patient facilitator that I had..And she said, "Well..You have to advance. You can't stay on liquids for the rest of your life". And that was enough to switch my mindset.

It is scary. I have been banded since July 3rd. I just started on solids on Monday..So far (cross my fingers!!!) I have not had any issues yet. So, hopefully that will give you some reassurance.

You are not alone! Like my facilitator said, you will have to advance at some point...Just make sure not to rush things, follow the orders that you were given and you will do just fine :thumbup:

OMG - seriously, my band buddy and I were talking about this yesterday. We are TOTALLY afraid to eat. I was cleared for mushy today and I am still nursing the Protein shakes.... so funny.

I was scared to and then eventually got over it. However, when I got my first fill, I was scared again and spent more time on liquids than I had to just out of fear of getting stuck.

Thank you all for the replies! It's nice to know others feel or have felt the same way.

I will admit, I am excited to get a little more than chicken broth and Isopure. If I never have chicken broth again, it will be far too soon. :unsure:

I was banded Monday August 2nd and yes I'm afraid to eat. I'm allowed to move on to the Protein Shakes today and had 3/4 of one before I stopped. I'm drinking everything slow and just not pushing myself too much.

I felt the same way when I started on each next stage. I was terrified.

It is good to be cautious and baby yourself. You will still be healing inside for 4-6 weeks and after each new fill.

Trust your doctor and team, but take it slow, chew well, and you will do great.

Good luck!

I have been eating "solids" since 10 days post op (just soft, though...no raw or crunchy foods.) I have not had ANY issue with eating anything. I take it slow still, but every once in a while I catch myself eating a big bite too fast and then I freak out when it's half swallowed and remember the band!!!! Still no trouble though...just need to remember my little friend inside me AT ALL TIMES, ha-ha!:unsure:

6 days post-op and I'm just thankful it no longer feels like a drop in an empty well when I drink! I'm on "full liquids".... but this does not include even pudding or cream Soups. I'm hungry all the time..... no fear of cream of wheat... I'm just not allowed to have it. I keep thinking the growling of my stomach has to be bad for healing also! LOL But I stopped smoking and I still take my chantix... and my pain meds were not liquid (stupid!)... so I know the tiny chantix pill passes, but the 1/2 loritab was terrible and I had to "chase it" with warm broth. Who knew I was so "fearless"! :unsure:

haha - thank you all for your stories. I love not feeling like I'm the lone person in the universe going through this! I don't personally know of anybody who has had this done, so just you online folks.

I got to have some Cream of Wheat this morning. I was nervous though and didn't even eat half of the 1/4 cup that I was allowed. Now I'm starving (that'll teach me), but this is actually the first time I've been hungry since surgery, so can't complain too much.

Dawn - Congrats on stopping smoking! Good for you. I'm surprised that you were given actual pills for the pain?!?! I was given this big ole gargantuan bottle of Codeine elixir. I can't even imagine having to take it in a crushed up pill form without vomiting. :)

Thanks again everyone, I'm really liking this site a lot more than the other one I was on. :)