Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months medical weightloss management?

Hi, i've been researching WLS for quite sometime. I attended a seminar on july 15. Initial consult was yesterday August 03; Psych. evaluation scheduled for tuesday August 10. Started Weight watchers on my own on July 17. Appointment with Nutritionist on Friday August 6. Anybody out there going through these stages? I need some friends for mutual support. My Insurance, Care first Blue Choice requires 6 months of medical weight management. Can my Insurance deny coverage if I loose too much weight during the six months? My Doctor said no but I just want a second opinion. I enjoy reading and talking to folks on this forum. I've learned a lot and found tons of inspiration here. Anyone interested in sharing the ups and downs of this journey? I know I won't be banded for another 5 to 6 months.:tongue2: I'm sooo impatient and afraid I could get discouraged along the way.

Congatulations on your decision to live a healthier and happier life.:unsure:

I didn't lose any on my 6 month required diet plan.... BUT I did stop gaining. I had steadily been gaining since I had hysteroctemy and then started gaining more when I quit smoking last year. So for me to not gain in 6 months, I was happy lol.

Good luck! The 6 months seems like a long time, but take it one month at a time and you'll be at appointment #6 in no time :unsure:

I'm in the same boat as you are. I went yesterday 8-3-10 for my consult and I have to do 7mo. supervised visits. They told me that if I lost to much weight before the surgery that I would not qualify for the surgery. My sister is doing this too and she is smaller than me and told her not to lose anymore weight or she would not qualify. If you have high blood pressure or diabetes it may be different, I'm not sure. We have to prove that we have been overweight for the past 3 years. Either proof from Dr. visits or pictures. We saw the dietician also yesterday so that counted as a visit, we now have 6 more to go. Hope this helped.

I started my whole process in July 2009 and it took a year before i got my sugery. I thought the whole time that something was bound to happen and i wasnt gonna get it!! The insurance wanted me to see a nutritionalist for 6 months, i did that. The insurance wanted me to have my gall bladder out, i did that. Then they said the hospital i had wasnt a COE so i had to change doctors UGH So needless to say 1 year and 2 weeks later i was banded :unsure: The longest year of my life HAHA But well worth it!!

Yes I too had to do the 6 month supervised diet and was worried about losing too much weight. I was very motivated at the beginning of the diet them, my motivation fizzled out and I stop losing weight, the story of my life. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you, but this is one of the reasons why we decided to have the surgery, because we need help losing the weight.

My insurance coordinator told me that my insurance company BCBS TX usually uses the Medicare standards and they like you to lose I think 5-10% of your body weight during the 6 month diet plan, I'm not 100% sure about that percentage. Anyway I only lost 9lbs. My suggestion talk to your doctors office about your concerns. I was approved late July and am scheduled for surgery August 16th. You want to lose as much as possible because after the surgery you'll have less to lose, your also don't want to lose too much and jeopardize your chances of being approved.

Thanks for all your inputs. Im going to talk

to my doctor again and hopefully I ll get some clarifications. best of luck on your journeys.

My insurance did not have a six month diet period; but due to a health issue I had to postpone my surgery. This meant that my first consult was 12/28/09 and my surgery is now scheduled for 8/12/10. My understanding is that the doctor's office sends in your original weigh in from your first consult. While I still would qualify today my insurance reapproved me (had to be done when my surgery was postponed) no problem even though I have lost 54 pounds since my first consult. As mentioned by a previous poster; many doctors want you to loose 5-10% of your body weight before they do the surgery. Sooooo as my doctor said this is all about the end game. The more you loose before the surgery hopefully the more you will lose in the end. While I am impatient and a horrible waiter you will be putting the six months into good use. Realistically how long will it take you to loose 10% of your body weight?

I am worried about giving up between the 6 month supervised diet as well. I've already done 2 months, so 4 to go and I hope I don't lose focus in the mean time.

Anyone have any tips on how to stay focused? I mean I know that ultimatley the surgery is the #1 focus but I am finding that I am having a hard time starting the 6 month diet....

I get frustrated with myself cuz when I am done eating I feel horrible but continue to keep doing it....

Help I need suggestions!

I read success stories and look at before and after pics daily.

It's helping. Weigh_in every wednesday. Lost 2 lbs this week. Honk you're right.

my dr confirms he sends in the original weight. Lets keep each other focused!

I will have to try reading some success stories. I also have decided to keep a journal and document what I eat for the day and how I am feeling. Think that might help me out!

But I agree let's keep everyone FOCUSED!!

The 6 month supervised diet is really just protocal to see if you really CAN lose weight on your own without surgery (that what my primary doc and surgeon both told me but who knows).

I did mine but oops, actually gained a few pounds (it was 2 months where there was lots of events and parties surrounded by food). Anyhoo. Now that I am just waiting for insurance approval- sure, now I start to lose those few extras. I have a screwed up mind though- the more I try to lose the more I gain...

Oh and yeah I heard that some surgeons want you to lose weight first, before the surgery... (fortunately mine didn't).. Hellooooo If I can lose weight on my own without surgery and be successful, why the hell would I go through the trauma to get the surgery in the first place. I need the surgery because when I do lose weight, I gain it back in a blink of an eye.

But, everyone is different! :)

Good luck!

Hey everyone. Good to be back for some updates: 6 months medical weight management completed. Surgery date set for 03/21/2011. Starting pre-op diet on 2/24/2011. I'm both excited and anxious. The pre-op diet time frame seems too long to me. What's your take on this? Also, how long were you out of work before and after surgery?

Thaks for your inputs.

The 6 month supervised diet is really just protocal to see if you really CAN lose weight on your own without surgery (that what my primary doc and surgeon both told me but who knows).

I did mine but oops, actually gained a few pounds (it was 2 months where there was lots of events and parties surrounded by food). Anyhoo. Now that I am just waiting for insurance approval- sure, now I start to lose those few extras. I have a screwed up mind though- the more I try to lose the more I gain...

Oh and yeah I heard that some surgeons want you to lose weight first, before the surgery... (fortunately mine didn't).. Hellooooo If I can lose weight on my own without surgery and be successful, why the hell would I go through the trauma to get the surgery in the first place. I need the surgery because when I do lose weight, I gain it back in a blink of an eye.

But, everyone is different! :)

Good luck!