Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Geezer is UNbanded, switched and camping...

..in a hotel room.

Sorry about the delay in posting. Post-op, it's so easy to read the boards, but it just feels like a jumbo hassle to post, especailly if it's more than one board.

So, it was not only textbook, it went better than that. Doctor had scheduled his first surgery (me) for 7:00 a.m. and the second surgeryat 10:30. Only, by 9:15, Dr. K was all tidied up and talking to my husband. He later razzed me, saying that I had screwed up his schedule for the entire day.

Also, my last two anesthesia debacles were overblown. At my post-op meet with the anesthesiologist, I was told that I was a "Class Three Intubation," and should mention that at my next surgery. At my next surgery, I did mention it, but that forewarned-is-fore-armed thing didn't work. That surgery was almost cancelled...a second surgeon and fiberoptics--and some good timing--became necessary.

But here, they peeked in and said, "Oh, there it is," and they were done.

After entering the OR and being tied down, I have zero recall until I awakened in my room. There's a shadow of a memory of being moved somewhere, but you wouldn't want me testifying in court on the subject.

However, I DO remember Carmen. What a kick. There is Carmen and there are rules and the two have become one, haven't they? She was very kind to me and I felt safe in her hands.

First night was fine. Second night was from hell. Everyone who needed to take something out of or add something into my body, plus those whose job it was to keep my body in motion, timed their visits at thirty minute intervals. And then everything that works fine in the daytime, malfuntions--and beeps--at night. So we got battey low warnings from machines which were not being operated on battery.

Doctor arrived the next morning and dared to say, "Good morning." I responded, "Says who?" And he started to back away cautiously.

The third night went better, and when doctor came by the next morning, before he could say anything, I said, "Why good morning, Sweet Cheeks!" He replied, "Well somebody had a BM." I said, "Not fair! You peeked at my chart." He said, "I didn't need to peek. I've been doing this long enough to have learned that a patient's personality is directly tied to how long it has been since his or her last bowel movement."

I was released Thursday. We've been at a local hotel. I'm TRYING to get 80g of Protein in...the first 40-50 g goes pretty well, but after that, it's a real challenge. I went Protein supplement shopping this morning.

I've slept a lot, but I feel excellent. My "new best friend" has not figured from my voice or other clues that I've had the surgery. She's probably figuring that I went out of town to a pre-op exam...because I did that without telling her. So when I get home and she finally figures that I'm post-op, I think she'll scream. (She also does this to me. We both HATE pop-in visits and people who want to feed our husbands.)

For the record, Dr. Roberto Rumbaut Diaz in Monterrey, Mexico, implanted this band, almost exactly as he did in the pre-FDA trials and as he has for several years now. Dr. Keshishian, my DS surgeon, can do a DS in 1.5 hours, but revisions almost always add to the time. My entire surgery took around two hours...maybe less. So a well-placed band and little scar tissue (that was my contribution) and not having erosion (pure luck) all contributed to a good game.

Last night, my husband and I went to dinner at the coffee shop adjacent to the hotel. One of the waitresses used to work at the hospital. She kept asking when I'd be having my surgery and when it finally sunk in that I was four days post-op she was kind of in shock, claiming that I simply did not look like someone who had already HAD surgery. So, I guess I'm doing okay.

Sue

That was an hysterical post from someone only 4 days post-op. It sounds like that bowel movement was all you needed to start feeling good again. Why did you have the band taken out and a revision done if the band wasn't eroded and you don't mind my asking. Chalk it up to not knowing this board very well.

Again congrats on your remarkable recovery.

That was an hysterical post from someone only 4 days post-op. It sounds like that bowel movement was all you needed to start feeling good again. Why did you have the band taken out and a revision done if the band wasn't eroded and you don't mind my asking. Chalk it up to not knowing this board very well.

Again congrats on your remarkable recovery.

Thanks for the good wishes...the band has damaged my esophagus. It may repair itself. We'll see. I have widening of the esophagus (esophageal dilatation) and the esophagus only works pushing the food down to the stomach part-time (esophageal dysmotility.) In dealing with these problems I regained all my lost weight and was miserable...eventually living on the likes of ice cream and Soup...whatever went down the easiest.

Thanks for the good wishes...the band has damaged my esophagus. It may repair itself. We'll see. I have widening of the esophagus (esophageal dilatation) and the esophagus only works pushing the food down to the stomach part-time (esophageal dysmotility.) In dealing with these problems I regained all my lost weight and was miserable...eventually living on the likes of ice cream and soup...whatever went down the easiest.

I hope this DS is just what you needed. I've heard of many successes with it. Good luck to you on your new journey. You should be able to eat fine now I hope.

Best wishes,

Dody

Sue,

Sounds like you are doing exceptionally well and I can read that your sense of humour is intact. Congratulations on a successful surgery!!!!!

Babs in TX

It is nice to hear after all the things you hear about erosion that your band was not eroded. Can I ask you how long you had been banded?

Sue, so glad you are doing well. You have been on my mind for the last week. I wish you the very best with this new journey, I hope the DS and you have a long happy life together :)

Holly Crap Batgirl!

Been waiting to hear from you person-a-blee

You just don't know how much I've thinking about you Doll.

I'm Happy your Happy!

Mr Sue gets a big Hug from me, you too!

"Why good morning, Sweet Cheeks!" He replied, "Well somebody had a BM." I said, "Not fair! You peeked at my chart." He said, "I didn't need to peek. I've been doing this long enough to have learned that a patient's personality is directly tied to how long it has been since his or her last bowel movement."

Sue, how am I supposed to be serious? You're my (insert the proper word for the person you wish you were since I want to convert.) What else can I say?

Congratulations, Princess DS!! Thanks for letting us know you're alive and well (and kicking!).

We're thinking about you--heal fast!