Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone have apnea and not use their cpap machine

Has anyone had a sleep study done and find out they have apnea, and required to have a cpap machine but not actually use it, I had my sleep study last week and it drove me crazy to wear that , I felt like I was suffocating to have it force air into me, so I was thinking if it has a timer or something on it to make sure it was on whats to stop anyone from just turning it on and letting it run but not wearing it?

My cpap does not run if I'm not wearing it. My breathing triggers it to run and if I take it off it will stop. The information it is keeping track of includes your breathing pattern.

That said, I haven't been wearing mine. /sigh

I had a sleep study done 2 years ago and was diagnosed with mild apnea. Nothing like what I've heard other had. I wore it pretty religiously for quite a while but then got a bad head cold and couldn't wear it. And I never put it back on. :thumbup:

I like to sleep all curled up in my pillows at times and I could not do it with that hose coming out of my face.

Now I'm starting this journey and I have this expensive paperweight sitting at the side of my bed and they are going to ask me about my sleep habits and sleep studies and I'm going to have to admit I'm non-compliant.:rolleyes:

The CPAP machines are able to know when you do or do not utilize them. One month after having my CPAP machine I was required to send in the memory chip from the machine which was storing my usage on the machine and monitoring if the air pressure that was being used was enough to keep me breathing during the night...so please just know that there is not a way to fake out the machine.

Having said all of that, I did find it much easier to use the mask when I am at home as opposed to using it at the sleep center...without all that other junk hooked up to me. I also find that when I use it: I feel less tired during the day, I feel more mentally sharp than I was before and I am never as stuffy headed during the day than I am when I don't use it. Does that mean that I hope I never have to give it up...heck no, but I do know that for now it makes me feel better.

Well I just got the notification that I will have to have one and I will have to be totally honest, Ive already told my Dr that if I am required to have one that it dont mean that I will use it. I just cant stand to have anything blowing in my face or up my nose, I hate that feeling that I am suffocating, and cannot catch my breath, I cant even have a fan blowing in my face, it throws me right into a panic attack, so if I am required to have one so be it but it will probably never be used :rolleyes:

I've had a CPAP machine for quite a while and don't use it. I dust it off occasionally. I do remember one time that I had to take enough drugs to knock me out for the night and I did leave the mask on all night. I woke up the next morning and felt terrific, something that I have not experienced before! There is something to it, but getting used to it is another story. When I do use it, I pull it off in the middle of the night. They say that even a few hours with the CPAP is beneficial.

I went for the apnea test so I could qualify for this surgery. Was diagnosed with Severe obstructive apena. Doc wanted me to go for the titratin study where they figure out what the settings to use on the machine would be ...I refused. Im not going to need it once i lose the wieght and I wont wear it inthe meantime.

I had surgey on 7.15 and stayed over one night. Got to stay inthe ICU with a patient ratio of 2:1..why the icu cause I had apena, no machine and not settings. LOVED IT!! My nurse was awesome casue he said most of his patients are 1/2 dead...he and I were walking aound the ward together at 4:30 in the morning he was giving me a tour! LOL!!

I went for my sleep study last night and it totally sucked. If they tell me I need one, I don't know what I will do, I did not have to wear one last night, but it can't be comfortable and I could barely sleep with that other junk on me, there is no way I will wear one. I slept so bad, I went home and went back to sleep(after washing that crap out of my hair), felt much better when I woke up.

It's so nice to see that I'm not the only person who couldn't tolerate a CPAP. I always felt like I was suffocating when I wore mine...I tried (honestly, I did) but it just wasn't going to work for me...I wasn't sleeping hardly at all with it and was more tired than I was from the apnea.

I go for my consultation next week and I am fully prepared to tell them that yes, I do have sleep apnea and no, I do not, and will not, wear a CPAP!

I have a CPap and I used to wear it religiously but I haven't used it in a while. Mine is an older model with no chip in it. It just has an hour meter on it so as long as it's on it will run without me wearing it and the hours will count up.

My mask got broken and when I went to get a new one it was a totally different kind. I can't get used to it and insurance won't pay for another one right now. My apnea is mild though so once I lose weight it should go away on it's own.