Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

restless leg syndrome

Does anyone here have RLS? How did you know you had it? What do you do to relieve it? Do you take medicine? Over the past 3-4 weeks my legs have felt like I need to keep moving them and when I lie in bed they feel weird - not painful, just like they are annoying me. I don't know why this is. Someone said maybe RLS. Any insight would be appreciated.

I have it and I do take meds for it. I put off taking the meds for over a year, then got tired of waking after only sleeping for an hour or so, just to constantly move my legs. In my case it should actually be called RFS, (feet). If someone held a gun to my head and said if you move those feet/legs again I'm gonna shoot, I'd have to say pull the trigger, cause I wouldn't be able to keep them still. Just getting the least bit tired causes it to start up, like if I'm watching a movie or if I attempt to read a book, or at a lengthy meeting.

The med I take is actually for Parkinson's Disease patients and it has something to do with brain waves. After taking an entire tablet a few times I started getting dizzy, so I cut it back to 1/4 of a table, OMG, what a wonderful nights sleep. Also, when I go to bed and if it's the least bit warm in my room, RLS is much worse. If it's below 67 I don't have to take a pill, I know, weird, but go figure, LOL.

Since this is a new problem for you, it may be your new diet. Sometimes a decrease in potassium will cause leg cramps. Try adding some potassium. You can also get it through orange juice or bananas.

How interesting HarleyNana! My hubby has RLS. He hasn't been to the doc yet, but it's so aggravating he's considering it. Here is what I know so far.

*He likes it super-cold in the bedroom. He'd leave the heat on 66 if he could get away with it. We compromise at 68 and I had to put another balnket over my half of the bed and on the kids' beds. I was crawling in bed freezing!!!!! ME!!!!!

*I read up on RLS in a Natural Cures book (not the Trudeau one, another one) and it said most folks with RLS are known to have low Iron levels. An Iron supplement is on my list for hubby, but I'll wait and see what other folks say here. His multi-Vitamin for men does not have iron in it.

*His RLS is worse when he has worked physically hard that day, or for several days in a row. He's a General Contractor and does lots of remodeling, so if he's doing hard physical labor all day (hmm, he does that every day! Okay, EXTRA hard labor) it gets worse.

I'd like to know the name of your med, if you don't mind. He's considering going to the doc for it. Drives him nuts. And he needs his sleep!!

I have it too, but it only seems to act up a few times a month. I remember first having this sensation when I was a kid ~ I just thought I was squirmy!! I don't take meds, but I will get up and get a hot bath..the hotter, the better on my legs. Then if I'm still a bit squirmy, I'll stand then go up on my tippy toes, then back down....then alternate the legs and it will give my legs a good little workout and make them 'tired'. I keep meaning to say something to my doctor to see what meds are out there, but I just haven't since it really doesn't hit me hard but every once in a while.

My RLS is more active after I've had a lot of salt, like after eating a frozen dinner, really bad. Though, mine has gotten progressively worse over the years, that along with the fact, I didn't know what my problem was for many years. Now it's advertised on TV and the radio, here I thought I was the only person in the world with this weird "syndrome", LOL.

There is a new med being advertised on tv that I want to try, but the one I take 1/4 of a tablet is Carbidopa/LEVO 25/100. I try not to take it every night, I keep my pills and a bottle of Water next to my bed, just in case I can't make it through the night.

Like I said in previous thread, cooler sleeping conditions makes all the difference in the world. The summer is much worse than the winter. My poor DH sleeps on the couch most of the time, because he can't stand the cold room.

I have RLS and have had it all my life. I take Sinemet 25/100 (the lowest dose of Parkinson medication they prescribe) and I take only a quarter to a half a tablet at a time. If I take half a tablet, I have a hard time getting up in the morning so I usually keep to a quarter of a tablet. I agree with Karen, I usually try a hot bath. The hottest I can get it. But sometimes that won't do the trick so I take the medicine while drawing the bath. Usually a second bath. Then I am good. But I do find it worse in the winter than in the summer. And I also find that if I have sat on my legs at my desk at work during the day then I usually have it worse that night.

It isn't fun, but I have learned to live with it. I hope what I have contributed will help someone else in finding a good nights sleep.< /p>

Wow Tammy, that's interesting, your worse time is winter, yet mine is summer. I was so tired of not getting a good nights sleep, tossing and turning all night, ERRR. I do want to try the new medicine out there. I don't like taking any type of meds, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes.

Karen, I'm so thankfull to finally have something to help with this.

I've had this for as long as I can remember. It will be so bad and I have to actually kick and do leg lifts for an hour until I physically cannot move my legs any more, but that doesn't mean that I don't want to anymore. I've spent countless night pacing and daning around trying to get them worn out.

The temp of the room doesn't make any difference for me.

My mother finds that Folic Acid works for her, and if I don't eat enough broccoli, my RLS gets worse. (broccoli is full of folic acid)

I take mirapex for my RLS, and it does make me very sleepy, but I'm fine to go in the morning.

Okay, Iron supplement seems to work for hubby. I finally bought some, he took it for about 5 days and noticed a difference after a few! So, over the weekend, he didn't take it, started having trouble again. His antsy little skinny legs just don't want to stay still! So he took another today, and will continue daily. If it gets better, I guess it's the iron! Wow! Thanks everyone! BTW, I bought the store brand of Slow FE.

I have never been diagnosed but have had many episodes of this also. ESPECIALLY RIGHT AFTER LAP BAND SURGERY. I thought it was because of my diet and laying around do much after the surgery. Like my legs hadn't had anything to do all day so when I went to bed at night they were wanting to move move move. I know it is a deficiency and hope that it only pops up in life when I am eating bad. I hope to never have it permanantly because it drives me nuts!! The only thing that stops mine is to walk around my dark house. I hope with everyone elses posts you can figure this thing out.

Mine is awful, and it's worst when I've been physically active. (what a great deterrent to working out! lol)

My doc offered the Parkinson's medication but I was just freaked out about taking it. If it gets too bad I take a sleeping pill. I used to take a Midol but that stuff knocks me out for a day and a half, so I don't take it anymore.

Maybe I'll reconsider the Parkinson's medication. Is the new stuff they've been advertising on TV for RLS the same stuff, just re-marketed?

I don't know why the thought of the Parkinson's medication bothers me. Maybe because I'm on antidepressants and I hate the idea of having to be dependent on another pill.

Quinine is another drug prescribed for RLS. I don't have it as bad since I've lost so much weight, but after a particularly hard nights work or extreme fatigue there it is... I don't take anything for it... Yet... but if it worsens again I will, it's an awful feeling!

I have RLS...I haven't been diagnosed but I know I do. All my adult life I have had this and it is truly very aggravating. I seems to be worse when I am overtired. My husband is a peach and will massage lower legs. And ladies and gents....a good roll in the sack sometimes helps!!!!

I don't but a co-worker does. I thought she was kidding me when she told me about it. Here's some info from a site she uses:

Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is a sensory disorder causing an almost irresistible urge to move the legs. The urge to move is usually due to unpleasant feelings in the legs that occur when at rest. People with RLS use words such as creeping, crawling, tingling, or burning to describe these feelings. Moving the legs eases the feelings, but only for a while. The unpleasant feelings may also occur in the arms.

Effects of RLS

RLS can make it hard to fall asleep and stay asleep. People with RLS often don’t get enough sleep and may feel tired and sleepy during the day. This can make it difficult to:

• Concentrate, making it harder to learn and remember things
  • Work
  • Carry out other usual daily activities
  • Take part in family and social activities

Not getting enough sleep can also make you feel depressed or have mood swings.

RLS can range from mild to severe, based on:

• How much discomfort you have in your legs and arms
  • Whether you feel the need to move around
  • How much relief you get from moving around
  • How much sleep disturbance you have
  • How tired or sleepy you are during the day
  • How often you have symptoms
  • How severe your symptoms are on most days
  • How well you carry out daily activities
  • How angry, depressed, sad, anxious, or irritable you feel

Types of RLS

There are two types of RLS:

• Primary RLS is the most common type of RLS. It is also called idiopathic RLS. “Primary” means the cause is not known. Primary RLS, once it starts, usually becomes a lifelong condition. Over time, symptoms tend to get worse and occur more often, especially if they began in childhood or early in adult life. In milder cases, there may be long periods of time with no symptoms, or symptoms may last only for a limited time.
  • Secondary RLS is RLS that is caused by another disease or condition or, sometimes, from taking certain medicines. Symptoms usually go away when the disease or condition improves, or if the medicine is stopped.

Periodic Limb Movement Disorder

Most people with RLS also have a condition called periodic limb movement disorder (PLMD). PLMD is a condition in which a person’s legs twitch or jerk uncontrollably about every 10 to 60 seconds. This usually happens during sleep. These movements cause repeated awakenings that disturb or reduce sleep. PLMD usually affects the legs but can also affect the arms.

Outlook

RLS can be unpleasant and uncomfortable. However, there are some simple self-care approaches and lifestyle changes that can help in mild cases. RLS symptoms often improve with medical treatment. Research is ongoing to better understand the causes of RLS and to develop better treatments.

What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Restless Legs Syndrome?

Restless legs syndrome (RLS) has several major signs and symptoms:

• An almost irresistible urge to move the legs or arms when sitting or lying down
  • An unpleasant feeling in the legs
  • Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep because of the unpleasant feelings in the legs or arms
  • Daytime sleepiness, which results from a lack of restful sleep due to the repeated limb movements

Urge To Move

RLS gets its name from the urge to move the legs when sitting or lying down. This urge is due to unpleasant feelings in the legs that are relieved by movement. Typical movements are:

• Pacing and walking
  • Jiggling the legs
  • Stretching and flexing
  • Tossing and turning
  • Rubbing the legs

Unpleasant Feelings

The urge to move the legs usually is due to unpleasant feelings in the legs. People with RLS describe these feelings as:

• Creeping
  • Crawling
  • Pulling
  • Itching
  • Tingling
  • Burning
  • Aching
  • Painful
  • Hard to describe

Children may describe RLS symptoms differently than adults.

The unpleasant feelings in RLS usually occur in the lower leg (calf). But the feelings can occur at any place between the thigh and the ankle and also in the arm. The feelings are worse:

• When lying down or sitting for a long period of time
  • During the evening or night, more so than during the day

The unpleasant feelings also:

• Make it hard to fall asleep or stay asleep
  • Are not as bad or go away when you move

Duration and Severity

RLS symptoms tend to get worse over time. They may begin in childhood and develop slowly over several years. People with early symptoms are more likely to have other family members with RLS than people who develop RLS later in life.

Symptoms tend to worsen faster when RLS occurs later in life. RLS that occurs later in life is also more likely to result from an underlying condition or illness than RLS that occurs early in life.

People with mild symptoms may only notice them when they are still or awake for a long time, such as on a long airplane trip.

How Is Restless Legs Syndrome Treated?

The goals of treatment for restless legs syndrome (RLS) are to:

• Relieve symptoms
  • Increase the amount and quality of sleep
  • Treat or correct any underlying condition that may cause RLS

Types of treatment include:

• Lifestyle changes and other nondrug treatments
  • Medicines

Lifestyle Changes and Other Nondrug Treatments

Lifestyle changes can improve and relieve symptoms of RLS. Lifestyle changes may be the only treatment needed for mild RLS. Some lifestyle changes that may help include:

• Avoid things that can make symptoms of RLS worse:
    • Tobacco
    • Alcohol
    • Caffeine—chocolate, coffee, tea, and some soft drinks contain caffeine. Although it may seem to help overcome daytime sleepiness, caffeine usually only delays or masks RLS symptoms, and often makes them worse.
    • Some medicines—Some types of over-the-counter and prescription medicines can also make RLS symptoms worse. These include:
      • Antidepressants (most of them)
      • Antinausea medicines
      • Antipsychotic medicines
      • Antihistamines

[*]Adopt good sleep habits:

• Keep your bedroom or sleep area cool, quiet, comfortable, and free of unnecessary light.
    • Use your bedroom for sleeping, not for watching TV or using computers or cell phones.
    • Go to bed every night at the same time and wake up at the same time every morning. Some people with RLS find it helpful to go to bed later in the evening and get up later in the morning. The important thing is to get enough sleep so that you feel rested when you wake up.

[*]Follow a program of moderate exercise

Other activities that also may help relieve symptoms include:

• Walking or stretching
  • Taking a hot or cold bath
  • Massaging the leg or arm
  • Using heat or ice packs

Medicines

Medicines can help relieve some symptoms of RLS. Doctors prescribe medicines to treat RLS in people:

• With clearly defined symptoms
  • Whose symptoms cannot be controlled by lifestyle and nondrug treatments

No single medicine is helpful in all persons with RLS. It may take several changes in medicines and dosages to find the best approach. Sometimes, a medicine will work for a while and then stop working.

Some medicines may not be safe for pregnant women.

Always talk with your doctor before taking any medicines, even over-the-counter medicines.

Specific medicines

Medicines used to treat Parkinson’s disease also are used to treat RLS. Even though these medicines help reduce RLS symptoms, RLS is not a form of Parkinson’s disease. The medicines help reduce the amount of motion in the legs. They include:

• Levodopa (le-vo-DO-pa)
    • Is best used to treat mild cases of RLS
    • Is short-acting
    • Works for a while but does not work long term in most people

[*]Dopamine agonists (pergolide (PER-go-lid), pramipexole (prah-mih-PEX-ohl), and ropinirole (roh-PIN-ih-roll))

• Are used to treat moderate and severe cases of RLS
    • Are used to treat mild cases of RLS if levodopa stops working
    • Are long-acting

The U.S. food and Drug Administration recently approved ropinirole to treat moderate to severe RLS.

Other medicines may be used to treat RLS, including:

• Strong pain-relieving medicines (narcotics).
    • Used most often when symptoms are severe
    • May be used in people who don’t respond to dopamine agonists

[*]Sedatives (benzodiazepines (BEN-so-di-AZ-e-pens)).

• Help with falling asleep
    • May cause daytime sleepiness
    • Are not recommended for people with sleep apnea and for older persons

[*]Medicines used to treat epilepsy (anticonvulsants: gabapentin (gab-ah-PEN-tin), carbamazepine (kar-bam-AZ-e-pen), and valproate (val-PROH-ate)). These types of medicines are:

• Considered when dopamine agonists fail
    • Most effective in persons with daytime and evening symptoms, as well as sleep-onset symptoms, and in those who describe the unpleasant feelings in the legs as painful.

[*]Iron supplements, if Iron deficiency appears to be contributing to RLS. Iron supplements should only be used if recommended by a doctor.

All information quoted above originates from the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute.