Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mixed Feelings Today - ARGH!

I have crazy mixed feelings today and I apologize for the rambling nature of this post.

Today I met with my surgeon (Dr. Ren @ NYU), as I haven’t seen her since January. Don’t get me wrong with what I am about to write here – I really like Dr. Ren, she’s a straight shooter, which is how I am – so it makes me feel comfortable. A mild mannered, soft-spoken surgeon would probably make me nuts.

Anyhow, today I posed this to her:

I explained that I recently went to an outdoor concert and the temps were 90+ and holy heck, I was hot! I found myself guzzling Water to stay cool and hydrated and had a moment - where I wondered what I would do with the lap-band (and I don't mean 2 days post op or even 3 months post-op - I mean LIFE post-op) and so I asked, what would I do? Would I be forced to sip water when I was sweating gallons? And, yes, I’m a sweater and yes, I’m sure this will get better with weight loss, but I come from a family of thin sweaty people, so I am expecting this problem will probably stick with me (oh lucky me!) Anyway, is this really a crazy question? Maybe it is, but in defense of myself, I am pre-op, which means I can read and read these boards and heck, even watch videos on YouTube, but really I don’t know JACK about post-op until I’m there (which drives me nuts – I need ANSWERS TO EVERYTHING NOW).

Anyway, she got kind of, I don’t know what to call it, by my anxiety (which is fair – to her this is GREATLY increasing my quality of life and I’m over here fretting about the differences of gulping, sipping and guzzling), but this is me. We did speak about putting off the surgery, canceling and then possibly maybe seeing someone for the fact that I am scared of changing my behaviors, but then I was like NO, I want to go through with this (this also felt a little reverse-psychology to me).

Moving on..

We also spoke about the flurry of negative press around both her and the practice (there was an article yesterday or the day before in Reuters) and let’s just say, it’s weird/scary to see your surgeons name out there in the press, but it is what it is and it does bother me a little, but I’m trying not to dwell.

And this is where I am right now. I’m trying to come to terms with my over-thinking, is it just me? Am I crazy? Also, I seriously need a band buddy. The one girl I know who has a band eats Doritos and drinks Coke (not even diet) and I feel as if maybe, just maybe she wouldn’t make the best band buddy. And yes, I plan on going to some NYU support meetings, but work is pretty insane right now and it's hard to find the time (I know, make the time, but I have deadlines people!)

Well at least all the anxiety and deep thinking means you are not taking this lightly and you are aware there will be massive changes to things other than your weight.

I drink/guzzle Water every day...the only time I can't is when I have:

a) just eaten - you should for 30 mins or so until the food has gone through the band or it puts pressure on and hurts.

:cursing: I have eaten something that has stuck in the opening of my stomach - usually swallowed absent mindedly in a rush not to miss a gap in the converstation!! The process of it being stuck and coming back out/up usually causes swelling, then I am sadly reduced to sipping for a day or 2 and not even my morning cups of tea will go down. One can only sip whilst partially blocked, may last a day or 2, as the swelling subsides and full guzzling should be able to resume after that day or 2!! I find I never get anything stuck if I eat on my own with a book!

Drink goes through ok if you have not eaten which is how people manage to eat around their band and stuff themselves with 'slider foods' then moan they have lost no weight.

If your band is so tight you cannot drink Water at a normal speed then it is too tight and you will not be able to consume good food so you will not loose weight, you will be very tired, very hungry and you will be very bloody miserable!!

Good luck with your decision and journey in whichever direction you go :-)

Well at least I know I'm not alone. I worry about the same thing. I know it may seem petty to some but I'm always so thirsty. But I would do anything to lose this weight so I figure I'll make it work.

I read the article and agree... it is what it is. And like typical media BS, it generates more questions than it answers...

One thing really makes me shake my head is when reports say things like, "bariatric surgery compared to diet and exercise." It's not an alternative!!!!!!! They should publish some reports about combining bariatric surgery with diet and exercise!

Brad

One thing really makes me shake my head is when reports say things like, "bariatric surgery compared to diet and exercise." It's not an alternative!!!!!!! They should publish some reports about combining bariatric surgery with diet and exercise!

Brad

Thanks Brad - I needed that reminder. Many folks think it's an "alternative" when it's not. I need to keep reminding myself of that, because forgetting that is helping me to self sabotage (my brain) . But HELLO, doesn't anyone out there not going through this process understand you need to combine the surgery + a serious change in behavior, which ='s diet and exercise. It's not like I won't be an active participant in this weight loss, it will be me and my band together :cursing:

I am in the preop process as well, but I can give a suggestion if your constantly thirsty; suck on ice cubes. It will satisfy the thirst in your month and the Water will go down at a much slower rate.

I wish Dr. Ren was my surgeon.

I started out with her but my ins. is out of network with them .

I'm now with a practice that I am not comfortable with. The surgeon seems qualified and Ok. His staff is causing my much unnecessary grief.

I am a person that anticipates the worst too so I know how you feel worrying about things that have not yet happened.

My surgery is 8/16 and I am worried about dying on the table. Throwing up all the time which I loathe. Them opening me up and finding my liver is diseased and they can't do the band or worse opening me up and finding I have cancer :rolleyes:

Now isn't that all crazy? but that's me!

I think it's natural to have all sorts of anxiety going into surgery. Relax and search out Dr. Ren on the site she has numerous positive posts.

I was at Dr. Ren's office yesterday also. I wonder if we passed each other in the hall.

My surgery is scheduled for September 13. I'm so nervous, but excited too. I am also feeling really overwhelmed and would love a band buddy.

What did she say when you asked her about the articles? I was too scared to ask!

I was at Dr. Ren's office yesterday also. I wonder if we passed each other in the hall.

My surgery is scheduled for September 13. I'm so nervous, but excited too. I am also feeling really overwhelmed and would love a band buddy.

What did she say when you asked her about the articles? I was too scared to ask!

It's possible! My appt was @ 2 and I was there a bit early to meet with the nurse first. I just told her there was a lot of bad press not only around her, but the practice as well. She was really great about that part - which made me feel better. She was like YES, let's talk about it and we did. She wasn't so happy to hear about my anxieties, which again, I *get*, but it was off putting - but ultimately I trust her and that's what is most important.

We can be band buddies!

Well at least I know I'm not alone. I worry about the same thing. I know it may seem petty to some but I'm always so thirsty. But I would do anything to lose this weight so I figure I'll make it work.

Good Luck with the surgery this week! I look forward to reading about your successes.

It's possible! My appt was @ 2 and I was there a bit early to meet with the nurse first. I just told her there was a lot of bad press not only around her, but the practice as well. She was really great about that part - which made me feel better. She was like YES, let's talk about it and we did. She wasn't so happy to hear about my anxieties, which again, I *get*, but it was off putting - but ultimately I trust her and that's what is most important.

We can be band buddies!

How is it going Dr. Ren band buddy? Do you have a date? Mine is less than a month away and I a freaking out slightly. Keep thinking that I am crazy for doing this. Then I heave myself off the couch, wait for all of my joints to crackle like Cereal, and remember why I am doing this.

Have you been back to see Dr. Ren?