Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Single mom - how long do you need help post-op?

I'm a single mom of a 2.5 year old. How much help do you need post-op. I obviously will need someone to look after my child and me, but for how long? The answer to this will depend on who I ask to help out. Any advice is appreciated.

I recovered quickly from surgery, as it seems most people do. I would say 2-3 days should do it. Moving around to take care of a 2 year old would probably be painful for a few days. Good luck on your surgery!

you wont need anyone taking care of you, you should be able to be up and around the next day no problem wont FEEL great but able to move around. A 2.5yo is a whole nuther problem, my doc told me to lift nothing over 10lbs for 6 weeks. He is ultra conservative but I would wait at least 3 weeks. That part for me is harder than the diet. only 2 weeks out and I feel like I am perfectly normal as before the Banding.

Edited by dman3998

After about 3 days, you'll still be sore, but able to move around and function. I have a 2 year old and needed my parents for a few days. Poor thing didn't understand why he couldn't sit on my mommy's lap...but after a few days, it was back to normal. But!....dman was right. I was told not to lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 6 weeks. After about 3-4 I was picking him up though (he's about 25 pounds). If he/she is able to get in the car on their own and all you have to do is buckle them in, that's good. If they can get up and down from their chair for meals, that's good. Just avoid lifting for as long as you can.

I have a 2.5 year old daughter and I started a new job taking care of 8 preschoolers at a daycare less than 2 weeks after surgery. I was not able to lift my daughter for 2 weeks. She is 29 pounds and some of the kids I care for weigh 40 or more. I am 5 weeks post op now and I have no problems lifting anything. I dance and jump with the kids. I showed my daughter my bandages as soon as I got home so she would understand that mommy was sore. She wanted up a lot and I would sit down first and she would sit on my lap. She was so happy once I hit my 2 week mark and I lifted her. Mommy's all better!!! Everyone heals differently. I had no complications at all and my incisions are practically invisible already. I needed help for the first week with my daughter but was completely capable to do everything for myself the first evening after surgery. Good Luck...it was a great decision for me :cursing:

I am a single mom of twins that were 3 1/2 when I had surgery. I stayed in the hospital for one night and then came home to care for them myself. The first couple of days were a little rough but after that I was fine. I just couldn't lift them for awhile but they could sit on my lap.

I am single and my son was 5 at the time of my surgery. I spent 1 night in the hospital and then 2 nights at my parents place (I only wanted to stay 1 but they insisted...moms....). Other than not being able to lift him (he's a snuggle bug even at 6) I was fine to take care of us alone after that...slow and slightly achy but fine. The night I came home from the hospital my son had a GI bug and was throwing his toenails up....we could have managed alone but it was REALLY nice to have mom send me to bed while she stayed up with him.

I would say at least 3 days of help would be good, you'll have some sore days but you can likely make it on your own after that. GOOD LUCK!!!!

At 2.5, there isn't as much lifting involved as there is with a younger baby. If s/he is able to climb up to your lap, climb into bed, etc., I would not expect to need help for more than a day or two.

My doctor did have a lifting limit for the first few weeks postop---but I think I would have been able to work within that limit when my kids were toddlers.

The first couple of days, though, you won't be feeling terribly well. It's not horrendous by any stretch of the imagination--but it is nice to have someone around to help.

Single mom here too- granted my son is older (7) but I needed help driving him to school for the first 2 days and it was nice to have someone to cook and keep me company

My kids are teenagers but my mother came and stayed with me for three days anyway. It was very nice not having to worry about anything except healing. The pain meds will make you sleep a lot, so as long as you're on those, the extra help will be nice.

I'm not a single Mom but was home with my 9 month old son alone the day I got home from the hospital, day 2 was shopping at Walmart and on day 3 we went to Wisconsin Dells walking and shopping with family all day.

Exercise and activity will only make you stronger. Get lots of sleep at night.

Day 3 sure my tummy is sore where my incisions are but other than that, I'm good to go! TONS of energy.