Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much is too much wgt loss?

You are doing great. I hear, "Are you sick?" (Our church recently lost a friend to cancer.) Someone asked me how much more I want to loose. I said only about 5 pounds, as my doctor is conservative and thinks woman of certain age, look skinny if they are to low weight. But, I will still be in the overweight BMI because I am short, 5'3", and he wants me to stop at 150. I am happy to maintain at that weight, however. Good luck, everyone, on your weight losses. Karen

Thank you for sharing Karen...it is refreshing to know that I am not alone! This is all the more reason for me to take back my power from those who try to "hate" on my success! Congratulations on your five pounds! I believe that you will do well!

Tanya

Thanks, Tanya, I guess we just have to do the "stiff upper lip", thing. Part of my reason for wanting to lose, was I was tired of being the "fat lady" in the choir. Feel so much better now! I know that we both have done and are doing the right thing for ourselves. Pfft! to all the "jealous" folks out there. :wub:Karen

Quote:

Originally Posted by elcee viewpost.gif

I think too much weight lost is when your BMI is in the underweight range. If it is still in the normal range(which yours is) then you are fine.

Most people that tell you you have lost too much weight are just jealous . IGNORE THEM!

depending on the height of the person, 174 could still be overweight. Maybe the doctor feels they are not just there yet. Is this person a male or female? I think if you went as far to have surgery to lose the weight, you might as well go all the way to a normal bmi and tone it up. You dont have to be a stick just fit.

This is true, 174 could still be overweight. However I looked at the ticker at the bottom of the OP's post and it showed a BMI of 25.3. This is definitely in the normal range.

If the BMI were to be under 18.5 then I would regard the person as having lost too much weight as 18.5 is the lower end of normal and a weight below this could indicate problems.

Nb. It does depend on which BMI table you use though as even these seem to differ slightly!

Realistically, I can think of VERY few women for whom 174lb would even be small, let alone too small. I mean, I'm 5ft 10 and 174 lb is definitely on the plump side for me. Allowing for differnet body types, its just not logical that it could be too small unless you're like 6ft 5.

People just get used to seeing you fat and the (relatively) sudden change unsettles them. I dont even think its jealousy or mean spirits, it just unsettles people. I think we're biologically and pscyhologically conditioned to see extreme weight loss as a sign of illness, even when our rational mind knows its not.

Everyone seems to need input dont they? My mother's beside herself because I dont really eat bread and apparently, nobody can live without bread. My MIL worries because apparently, Soup does not a lunch make. Yet the people I work with, who never knew me fat, have never thought to comment that my lunch makes me anorexic or that I am too skinny. And furthermore, lol, they dont think there's anything nuts about me wanting to shed a few pounds to wear my new red bikini in Thailand!

Edited by Jachut

I agree that as long as your BMI is in the "normal" range, you haven't lost too much weight. That said, if you feel you're "done" and want to maintain where you are, I think your doctor should oblige.

I'm 40 pounds from goal and people also tell me that I'm "too skinny" and ask if I'm doing this the "right way" or if they need to worry about me. If it were up to me no one would mention my weight ever. I don't need positive reinforcement. The scale does that! In other words, I feel your pain! There was a women I used to see who lost quite a bit of weight. I hadn't noticed and then one day it just sort of hit me that she went from overweight to fully thin. I told her how great she looked and went on and on about it. I cringe when I think about it because I HATE when people give me the compliment and then won't stop. I can't remember what I was thinking but I can only assume that I was trying to make her feel good about her success. I don't know her well enough to be jealous so I certainly had no ulterior motive. So...I guess it's just the annoying nature of the beast.

Congratulations on all your success!