Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your experience at your first fill???

I am post-op ending day 12. I have been experiencing a little hunger pain and so I think I am ready for a fill!! My first one is scheduled for August 12th and I am just curious as to what you experienced banders have to say about this new experience! So far, I have lost 15 pounds, so I am excited for this new journey I have chosen. Let me hear from you!:scared2:

I go for my first fill Aug 5th. I'm a little nervous. Just started with the hunger a bit over past week. But it's controllable. I was banded June 25th. My dr. won't fill until 6 weeks. Weight loss has stopped/slowed. Some on here say it happended to them also and once they had first fill the weight started dropping off. Crossing my fingers. Good Luck on your journey.

hi, i was band may 7th and 6 weeks post op was my first fill the process is very simple u go in the doc has u lay down on the table then he feels for ur access port mine is under the big scare on my left side anyway he numbs u up around the port then inserts a syringe filled with saline.he has u sit up while the syringe is still in u then has u drink some Water until u feel the water start to slowly go down. now you've had ur first fill.for me i had good restriction for about 3 weeks then i started to feel loose again hungry, im on my third adjustment and have lost a total 115 lbs.so as u can see its not a big deal u may have more or less adjustments than me but everyone is different good-luck. .:wub:

Yeah you have to remember, until you have your first fill there is no saline in the band so there is no restriction what so ever, just a normal stomach with a "ring" on it. For the first 2-3 weeks you will never really feel hungry because of all the swelling, as that swelling subsides you will get hungry because until your first fill you still have a "normal" stomach, nothing to stop stuff from going down (unless you try to swallow that half a pork chop without chewing lol). I was banded July 15 and not until this week have a even felt really hungry. Last week I had half a sausage patty and felt like I was gonna explode, tonight I had a whole chicken breast and felt "satisfied". First thing I have learned and I try to share, when you feel hungry stop and drink a full glass of Water before you eat, about 75% of the time I am just thirsty but my stomach/brain is interpreting it as hunger.

Good luck and dont worry about the slowing of the weight loss right before the first fill, it will disappear very quickly once you get that first fill.

Edited by Knaroz
Brain faster than fingers lol

My first fill was very different from Iceejoe's. I had to go to radiology where my surgeon met me. I had to lie on a table, he found the port inserted the needle with the syringe of saline. He inserted the saline. Then the table was raised until I was almost standing. He had me drink some barium while we watched on the camera, he slowly withdrew saline until the barium flowed through. LOL he didn't disclose how much, he said I need to see if it's enough by how I feel. So far so good. My fill was on Thurs the 5th and its now Sat. the 7th lol. Oh and yes I was really hungry the week before the fill. Good luck and let us know how it was for you. Kathy.

First thing I have learned and I try to share, when you feel hungry stop and drink a full glass of Water before you eat, about 75% of the time I am just thirsty but my stomach/brain is interpreting it as hunger.

Thanks for that advice - get filled next week and have been getting very hungry and a little discouraged.