Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery on July 7th and I go through spells where I am depressed. The other night I was at my in-law's house and they were all eating BAD food and I just lost it. I couldn't stop crying. I felt like such an idiot and it was all because I couldn't eat what they were eating. Some days I feel great and have no problems at all, but then other days I just feel emotionally drained. I am feeling a little better now that I am on soft foods instead of liquids, but the sadness is still there some days. Does the missing food part get easier as time goes on???

I am not as far out as you are, (4 days) but I can definitely see myself in your shoes. food has been my BEST friend for sooooo long. Its like grieving for something we lost as it used to be my "go to" for feeling better. I have also lost large amounts of weight in the past and I do have to say that nothing feels better than losing that weight. Also, being in control of what you eat is an amazing feeling.

So, give yourself time and I do think that onc e you start seeing big changes in your body and health all that "bad" food won't seem so forbidden. Let yourself have a treat once a week...per my dr. or you will fail.

It's really hard, sometimes, giving up what has been a good "friend," comforter, social hub, focus of celebration, etc.

For many of us, food took on roles it was not meant to have. And grief for the loss of it, in those roles, is normal.

It gets SO much easier with time. I promise, with time, food will take its proper place in your life. You will learn that you still can eat--and sometimes, you can eat just what you want to eat (even if in tiny amounts). Celebrations can still involve food!

But right now, you're in a terribly, terribly restrictive phase. And it's all new to you.

It will get better. Truly, truly it will.

It hit me later in the process (about 6 weeks after surgery), but I have had and still have some of the same feelings. I blogged about it on this site, and had a couple people respond that I'm actually mourning my old life.

Makes a lot of sense?! Feeling sorry for ourselves for not being able to eat like we want, couch off (potato-wise), get more active.

But on good days, I realize I FEEL better: less panting going up stairs, more energy, just a good feeling overall.

Give yourself some time to mourn the lifestyle that wasn't healthy and start to enjoy the new, healthier you. And like I've read before, this site is a perfect support mechanism.

Take care!

Well said by all posters! We all go through this to some degree. I got very teary a handful of times in the first 2 weeks. You will adjust and feel better soon I am sure. Especially when people compliment you on your weight loss! I just had 2 compliments in the last 2 days! you will be there soon too!