Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep study and apnea

I went for my sleep study last night. I had been forewarned by friends about all the wires and electrodes, but the only thing that really bugged me was whatever was attached to my throat, the tech explained it as a mic-type device so she could hear snoring better. I can't even sleep with my own hair touching my neck, never mind something like that! I was given ambien cr to put me over the edge, thank goodness.

Anyway, I assume the gasping and "heart attack" feeling I get as I am just dozing off is apnea and I will be ordered to use a CPAP machine. My surgeon made it very clear at my first visit that if apnea is present, the CPAP is required.

I would love to hear people's experiences with the sleep study as well as CPAP input. TIA! =)

Hi Tia!

I too had a sleep test about 3 weeks ago and was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I go this saturday for the follow up CPAP test. The actual experience wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. I just kept knocking the wires off during sleep! I had my own pillow, the television, a good book, my ipod, munchies, and comfy pj's! I was a little self conscious while falling asleep - but once asleep I managed to sleep all the way through.

I think my anxiety over the sleep test was being petrified by the thought that I just might (or would most likely) have sleep apnea. I did not and do NOT want the CPAP - or as I call it, the "C-CRAP"!! But, the blessing is that the diagnosis of sleep apnea has caused me to look more closely at my life, at the changes that need to be made, to begin my research on weight loss surgery, and ultimately the beginning of my journey into a healthier me. I guess it has been the "push off the ledge" that I've needed for quite some time now!

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!! :scared2:

~Lisa

My appointment was 8:30pm and after noting my "night owl" sleep diary the tech suggested a mild sedative. I was out like a light before 9:30pm. I was a little surprised because it doesn't seem like they would get natural sleep results, but grateful because I probably wouldn't have been able to sleep without help.

I am glad they gave you something that would help relax you. I had been running around all day before I took my test - and went out like a light!! Do you have the results of your sleep study yet? Just curious... They pretty much gave me my results the next morning when they told me that "you probably should schedule your follow up study while you're here.." My PCP confirmed that "yes, it was positive". Sooooo, Saturday I get to do it all over again.. Will have to remember to run around like a crazy woman again, perhaps get in 18 holes of golf and cut the grass too!

~Lisa

I was given 2 appts together and told the 2nd one (tomorrow night) would be canceled if I didn't need it. I didn't receive any "don't come in" calls, so it looks like I am on. I think they will hook me up again, this time with CPAP.

I have a brand new CPAP machine that was prescribed to my husband a year or so ago.. he had a bad experience at the clinic with it and never took it out of the bag again. I hope they are ok with calibrating it to my specs, since it seems foolish to buy another one. I am hoping to not need it too long, once I start losing weight.

I was given 2 appts together and told the 2nd one (tomorrow night) would be canceled if I didn't need it. I didn't receive any "don't come in" calls, so it looks like I am on. I think they will hook me up again, this time with CPAP.

I have a brand new CPAP machine that was prescribed to my husband a year or so ago.. he had a bad experience at the clinic with it and never took it out of the bag again. I hope they are ok with calibrating it to my specs, since it seems foolish to buy another one. I am hoping to not need it too long, once I start losing weight.

Hey Sooz!

I kinda wish I would have had both together, too. But.. it is what it is.. Tonight's the night for the second one. And, I'm with YOU that I hope that I don't need this C-CRAP stuff too long once I start losing weight. We'll BOTH be keeping our fingers crossed!!

~Lisa

Lisa, I actually did pretty well sleeping with it. I did wake up 3 or 4 times thinking "what the heck???" I am just not used to sleeping with my mouth closed, I guess. It was sort of like learning to snorkel in my sleep. Was given ambien again, thank God, so fell asleep within minutes.

Tia,

Well, I survived the second "titration" test.. It wasn't bad. Once I fell asleep - which took longer with that thing on my face - I stayed asleep. I didn't like the nose thingy, it made me feel as though I couldn't catch my breath:thumbdown: so I opted for the face thing. I am told that I am going to need C-CRAP, so now I have more ammunition to get this weight off!!

I hope all's well with YOU!!

~Lisa

I had to go through two sleep studies and was actually glad that my surgeon made me do it. I was mortified at first to go through with the study and be hooked to everything, but I took a xanax and didn't have a problem falling asleep. They discovered that I woke up an average of 40 times per hour. No wonder I was always sleepy during the day and would fall asleep all the time. I had no energy to do anything other than survive the day taking care of my two toddlers.

I know have the CPAP and as much as I find it annoying, the benefits outweight the drawbacks. In addition, I know once I lose the weight, I probably won't need it anymore. It is nice to have energy again. I can exercise! I can play more with my children and I don't have to nap during the day. It has made a big difference.

I do, however, have trouble falling asleep with it on if I don't take a xanax or some tylenol PM. I hate to have to take something, but again, I am actually getting some sleep. The number of times I stop breathing during the night has been reduced by more than half.

It's not the most flattering aparatus, but it's tempory. I am glad that I have it.

I had to go through two sleep studies and was actually glad that my surgeon made me do it. I was mortified at first to go through with the study and be hooked to everything, but I took a xanax and didn't have a problem falling asleep. They discovered that I woke up an average of 40 times per hour. No wonder I was always sleepy during the day and would fall asleep all the time. I had no energy to do anything other than survive the day taking care of my two toddlers.

I know have the CPAP and as much as I find it annoying, the benefits outweight the drawbacks. In addition, I know once I lose the weight, I probably won't need it anymore. It is nice to have energy again. I can exercise! I can play more with my children and I don't have to nap during the day. It has made a big difference.

I do, however, have trouble falling asleep with it on if I don't take a xanax or some tylenol PM. I hate to have to take something, but again, I am actually getting some sleep. The number of times I stop breathing during the night has been reduced by more than half.

It's not the most flattering aparatus, but it's tempory. I am glad that I have it.

You're not kidding "it's not the most flattering aparatus"! hahaha!! My husband stayed with me last night until after they "hooked me up"... I asked him, "Hey Baby, wanna fool around??" We had a good laugh over that one!! Me in my face mask.... oh jeeeez, that's a horrible looking thing!! I felt like I should have been playing the role of Hannibal Lector!

You're not kidding "it's not the most flattering aparatus"! hahaha!! My husband stayed with me last night until after they "hooked me up"... I asked him, "Hey Baby, wanna fool around??" We had a good laugh over that one!! Me in my face mask.... oh jeeeez, that's a horrible looking thing!! I felt like I should have been playing the role of Hannibal Lector!

Ok, you totally have me laughing! When they hooked my up, I had them take a picture of me with my phone and sent it to my husband for a good laugh. You definitely have to have a sense of humor with the head strap and mask over the face. Not sure what is more of a turn on for my husband....the mask or the previous snoring and snorting that could be heard three blocks away.

Ok, you totally have me laughing! When they hooked my up, I had them take a picture of me with my phone and sent it to my husband for a good laugh. You definitely have to have a sense of humor with the head strap and mask over the face. Not sure what is more of a turn on for my husband....the mask or the previous snoring and snorting that could be heard three blocks away.

And you have me howling here!! "Three blocks away"!! hahahahaha!! Sounds like BOTH our husband's deserve the "Good Chap" award for sleeping with US!! I can't believe you took a picture!! BRAVE Woman!! I can see my warped family putting that on YouTube or something!! hahahahahahaha!! That is tooooo funny!!

"Mrs. Hannibal"

omg, the 2 of you have me in stitches!

I didn't try the full face mask, and now kind of wish I did. I'm sure my hubby could use a good laugh at this point too. :wub:

I was told I could trade off (at no cost for 30 days) until I figured out which I preferred. Not sure if the tech remembered I already have a machine when she said that.

I didn't try the full face mask, and now kind of wish I did. I'm sure my hubby could use a good laugh at this point too. :wub:

I was told I could trade off (at no cost for 30 days) until I figured out which I preferred. Not sure if the tech remembered I already have a machine when she said that.

Oh yes, The Hubs DESERVE the good laugh at seeing us in "full face mode"!! Kind of a reward for having to sleep with us! Not sure about you but having little puffs of air being blown up my nostrils freaked me out!! I actually found myself holding my breath when it puffed me!

I had to take advantage of switching masks within the first 30 days. If you aren't comfortable with your current one and still have time left, make the switch. I hated my first one and wanted to run it over with my car. The second one is much better and I can actually wear it all night. There was a very big difference in the way the two fit my face.

My favorite aspect of this whole experience is the fact that I am now developing some really pretty acne around the mask areas despite my obsession with keeping my face clean. Now I am a fat person with acne that has a lot of energy. It doesn't get much better than that.