Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Advice on Clexane please

I've had my band replaced here in Italy and have some difficulty with the language when talking to doctors and nurses.

I was discharged from hospital on Wednesday evening. The doctor gave me an envelope and said ring the number on here to make a follow-up appointment for 2weeks time.

Anyway, I've been feeling a bit rough with post-op gas pains so it's only today that I've taken the letter out of my bag. It doesn't just contain the number for the follow up appointment but is also a presecription that I should take to the chemist for Clexane 4000 UI.

I imagine this is to help avoid DVT (as they didn't give me anything to bring home with me). My husband has just taken it to the pharmacy so I'll start straight away - but I'd like to know how much of a problem it might be that I've missed a day and a half.

Obviously, most of you will say to contact a medical professional and I'm doing all I can on that score but if there's a nurse or similar out there, perhaps you can help?

I don't know, I am not a doctor but I would take the meds and be sure to walk to keep the blood flowing. Do you live there or will you be flying home? I'm sure you have called a doctor by this time. Also, the pharmacist should be able to let you know. Good Luck, glad to see you with a healthy band.

Thanks both. I checked with the pharmacist who said not to worry. Also had some advice from an English speaking nurse so I'm feeling all info'd up at last. Turns out that the injections are one a day so I'd only missed one.

I appreciate your responses. Thank you very much.

I just noticed that you've both done really well with your weight loss!

It's almost the same weight loss as me but you've both done it in much less time - complimenti !!

Jenna - our stats are similar. I started at 210 and am currently at about 154.

Take aspirin the meantime until you get the prescription fills to prevent the deep venous thrombosis. That should do the trick. I don't think not taking it for a day or so is going to make any difference. I hope if you flew to Italy from the states and back that you got up on that long flight and tried to walk a few steps. That is the important thing, not to sit too long in any one spot. I'm sure you will be fine. Best wishes on your new band.

I guess I mis-read the post from Jax. Apparently she is in Italy. Jax, any chance you are military and stationed at Aviano. Just a shot in the dark, because I think they would send you to an Italian hospital for banding. I don't think they have facilities or knowledgeable docs in lap banding on that small base.

Replaced - with another band because the first one had slipped.

In Italy - moved here from the UK a little while ago so nothing to do with the military base. Was self-pay for the original surgery and have received good aftercare here in Italy.

Obviously the language barrier is the MOST difficult thing. I speak Italian on the street, in the shops and bars etc. but talking about medical things to doctors and surgeons who are not particularly chatty in the first place is a killer. Especially if you think something is wrong. Which of course I ALWAYS do!