Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So it hurts to eat with the band?

i saw in another thread that someone mentioned it hurts to eat with the band at first.

Is that true for everyone? How bad is the pain and how long does it last?

I've had my band five years, and it doesnt hurt to eat with it, nor did it at first, BUT there are definitely "sensations" at every meal. Once banded, you are always aware of the feeling of eating, or I am anyway, it becomes second nature to stop, wait for assurance that bite has gone down, before going on. There's multiple small moments during a meal where you wait for something to subside.

That's as near as I can describe it. I have to be honest, it doesnt feel like eating before, and sometimes I looka t one of my kids shoving something down their face and wish I could enjoy something like a donut with such abandon, just once, but I wouldnt change it for anything.

I agree with Jachut--not so much hurting as an awareness. Sometimes it borders on uncomfortable. I have had only 2 really bad "stuck" episodes. Apparently I put my hand to my chest when I get "that" feeling of "Will it go down or not"? Or at least that is what my family tells me.

So, hurt? no, but it definitely is different.

You're probably referring to what I was talking about in another thread. The 2 ladies above have described it perfectly.

You're always aware that food is going down.

HEY,I WAS BANDED MAY 7TH AND I HAVE EXPERIENCED PAIN WHEN EATING. IT ONLY HAS HAPPENED A COUPLE OF TIMES. BUT THE PAIN WAS INTENSE:cursing: .

I have been banded since May 13 and have only had one painful episode when eating. It makes you become more aware that you really have to chew your food.

Jachut...I know exactly what you're saying. When I go out with friends and they have the appetizers, the meal, and then dessert..then there's me with half my meal or less, no appetizer and no dessert..I get kind of sad. I would not however change it for anything either! What I miss most is having my iced tea with my meals. It's still kind of weird not drinking and eating at the same time.

There have been times when it is very painful for me to eat. It feels like I have a bunch of gravel at the top of my stomach. Last time was with oatmeal. And yeah, it was very painful.

I had my surgery on July 7th and I just started eating soft foods today and I have no pain at all. I'm not sure if it will be different when I go to a "normal"diet, but as of right now I have no pain.

No pain, just when not chewed good you feel it in your chest stop eating or it will come out. Just not comfortable not pain. Eat slowly chew, chew, chew. I only have problems with rice, Pasta, mostly the things that swell. good luck

The above are correct in chewing...I am still learning that I have to chew my food...had my surgery in March and if you dont chew your food or you eat too fast...there will be pain like you wouldn't believe...I mainly get it with the first bite of food (still learning)...but i wish you good luck with that process!!!

It hurts me because I am an idiot and try to eat too much sometimes.

On those days I am not an idiot, I don't even know it's there.