Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK,so now I feel really stupid..

Hi Everyone,

I recently responded to a post about how fortunate I have been to have only PB'ed less than 7-8 times over the last 2 1/2 years. Well todays violent PB and subsequent vomiting is the worst experience I have had so far since I have been banded.

I made a 10 lb turkey since they were on sale and we did not have one for Thanksgiving at my house. All afternoon, the turkey was beckoning me. It was the butter basted variety.... The smell was driving me mad so I decided to eat some. I had about 3 pieces totaling about 3 oz of the dark meat. After the third went down, I got a huge golfball. Normally if I wait it out or dance around a little, it will go away and pass through. This was not the case. It was stuck. I tried a sip of warm Water. It was backing up in my throat. I waited and now just searing pain and pressure in the middle of my chest. After about 5 minutes, I knew it wasnt passing through and I would have to force myself to vomit by leaning over the toilet.

I barfed and immediately felt better. I jumped in my car because I was late picking up my son from school. I got to the traffic light and knew I had to barf again. I pulled into the parking lot of Sams Club and barfed again. I jumped on the highway and took a small sip of Water. I just knew I had to barf again but I was late and I didnt want my son hanging outside alone at school. I contemplated barfing into a chip bag I had in the car for my sons afterschool snack. But it was full of baked potato chips and I would have had to pour them out on the seat of the car. I was driving 65 miles per hour and didnt think pulling over on the highway was an option. I keep dry heaving and holding back the slime.

15 minutes later, I pulled up to my sons school. He jumped in, I went one block and pulled over on the side of the road and threw up like 3-4 times. I actually knew when I was totally better because the "stuck turkey" dislodged itself. I had already vomited 6-7 times and I am not talking slime only but the contents of my stomach. I felt better and continued on my way. Holy sh#@%%. I dont want that to happen again. This is the second time this year that turkey did me in. Its so weird that I can eat steak, bread , rice and other difficult bandster foods but for some reason turkey gives me problems if I eat it too quickly. Even us tenured bandster can forget and eat too quickly and cause ourselves pain. SO there, I survived, but was a crappy experience.

Have a great night!!!

Babs in TX

334/180/170

-154 ish

Oh, turkey is near impossible for me, I cooked some in the crock pot with mole sauce and thought I was gonna die.

For some reason chicken and turkey are very difficult for me. I can do rice, I can to soft tortillas but the birds are phew... rough on me!

Sorry it was so crappy :)

Productive burp, although, many of us have bouts with what I call, The Slime, which can be brought on without the burp.

Oh yeah, welcome to LBT.

Ohhhh man.. that sounded terrible.. Babs, thanks for sharing, thats a good description!

I surely hope it doesnt happen to me!!! (but it prolly will)

I am getting a fill next week cuz I been able to eat turkey sandwitches and everything!! (and gaining weight)

I figured I had a nice thanksgiving.. I dont need the christmas meal..

I always hated the idea of these two huge meals one month after another anyway.

Babs, I have been there, done that. What you describe sounds like my episode a year ago June with seaweed salad. HORRIBLE. Please be very good to yourself the next few days--you might feel a little bruised or tender, unsurprisingly.

My worst bugaboo is beef. Even cooked to nothing in a stew one tiny piece can get lodged and create irritation for days, even if I don't have any PB or stuckage I can feel. Which really sucks, because my DH's favorite wintertime meal is beef stew. :)

Hi Alexandra,

So beef is a problem for you? MMMM, I couldnt live without beef. I ate some turkey today without a hitch. I was in a hurry and didnt pay attention and got what I deserved. Seaweed salad? I could easily give that up. ... LOL I like sushi though and dont have problems with rice or any form of seafood so I am thankful for that!!!

Babs in TX

It is surprising what one person can handle and another one can't. I have very little trouble with chicken or turkey, as long as it's moist. I love sushi to the max, but I steer far away from the seaweed now.

YIKES!?!?!

I froze myself a couple little containers of turkey, stuffing and gravy for when I get to solid food (I was on liquids post-op during the holiday). Now, I'll be afraid to eat it.

YMMV. I'm interested to see what I will be able to tolerate. I don't wanna PB, but I will have to learn the hard way like everyone does.

I had a turkey epispode too! The turkey was cold.. and did not go down well! Hurt! Didn't PB, but it scared me to death!

Take Care!

Big Paul:

You'll do just fine. But if you are really afraid, just puree it ! LOL

Alex: Normally I dont have any trouble with white meat chicken or turkey. I eat turkey 2 times a week usually in my homemade turkey chili. I even eat tenderloins. But for some reason, I have a problem with dark meat. Maybe its too stringy....

Babs in TX

I'm not banded yet. I have weeks of nutrition classes to attend unfortunately and have to prove I can lose weight before the surgery. (If it was that easy I wouldn't be needing the band would I). My dr. discussed with me PB's and the importance of NOT drinking anything if you ever feel anything somewhat stuck. He said it makes it much worse. He said just wait it out. I haven't been there yet, and it sounds scary, but he insists that drinking something only makes it worse and will make you throw-up.

Cold Turkey is the Anti Christ. I PB'd & barfed by the side of the road over Thanksgiving weekend too -- maybe we should start a club! I ate steak the other night just fine though -- go figure!