Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Once you are approved you can't be denied right?

What I mean is this: I was approved yesterday and my BMI is right at 37. After the preop diet if my BMI goes below 35 I can't be denied right?

I tried to ask the co ordinator this question yesterday and she's so flipping hard to communicate with. She immediately started scolding me about how I must follow the diet and lose 10 pounds or they won't do the surgery etc etc and she never did answer my question.

Also should I worry about losing the 10 pounds? I mean will I really lose 10 pounds on a 10 day pre op diet or should I start a few days early and do a 12 or 13 day diet instead?

Approved is approved now get your butt on the pre-op diet! :thumbup: Congratulations again! Relax everything is going to be fine, just follow your Dr's instructions for the preop diet to a T. Good luck.

Congrats!!!

You should lose the 10 pounds, I lost 14 by following the instructions. But they said they will still do the surgery if I didn't as long as I lost some because I was all paranoid that I wouldn't lose all 10 pounds.

What kind of diet will you be on: Medifast, HMR, Protein shakes? My surgeon "suggested" I do the HMR 500 liquid diet. Yes 500 calories. It was very difficut, gave me allergy like reactions and I did not loose any weight in 5 days. Since I had been loosing weight on 1 or 2 whey Protein Shakes and 1 or 2 low calorie/fat/carb meals; I went back to that plan. Today when I met with the surgeon for my final consult he said "Well since you are loosing weight on your current plan just continue it." I have been doing this eating plan for 4 months and have lost 25-30 pounds. I do an hour of cardio a day, 7 days a week.

FYI my sugeon does not weight you after the last appointment with the nurse. Mine will be 2 weeks before the surgery. Not that I plan on going crazy in those two weeks

For a prework out snack (time between lunch and dinner is often 7-8 hours so I need a snack before I go to the gym); I have a Chobani 0% Fat fruited yogurt to which I add appr. 2 tablespoons vanilla whey Protein powder and Splendra. Mixed together it is a really thick satisfying snack. Sure there are carbs but for about 200 calories your getting around 25-28 grams of Protein.

Can you make your protein shakes with fat free milk? I freeze milk cubes and mix them in a personal size blender. Two cubes equals about 1/3 cup milk, so I then add 2/3 liquid milk to the Protein Powder. Gives the drink more of a "frappe" like texture. I also add non fat/suger pudding mix as well you could talk to your Nut about that. Also if you are buying the Protein Powder on your own read the label on the back. Whey Isolates are the best kind (which I researched on my own and the Nut also recommended). For a 110-140 calories you should be getting 25-30 grams of protein. Whey Isolates cost more but are easier for your body to break down.

I am in the same boat as you. My BMI is 35.8 and for the past 6 months I have not been able to lose a pound or two or I wouldn't qualify for the surgery. The office has a policy for patients to not gain any either, so I have had to hold steady. I have figured out the difference between my home scale and the Dr.s scale and plan my clothes accordingly! I have a heart condition and my weight can fluctuate on any given day by a few pounds because of Water.

I am waiting on approval and my surgery is scheduled for August 11th. My Dr.s office schedules at the end of the surgeon meeting. I was told that once it's approved, I don't have to worry about going below the 35 and I do have to do the 2 week preoperative diet and they expect to see weight loss. If you don't, it may appear to them that you are not as likely to follow the plan afterwards, but the real reason is to shrink the liver and get your body ready for surgery.

My information was sent to the insurance on Monday, so I'm hoping to hear that I'm approved next week! Let's hope! If not, I'll have to hold steady for a little bit longer! :biggrin:

IDK b/c my paper says to make the Protein shakes with Water only.

But then it goes on to say that I can have no more than 3 servings of skim milk, cottage cheese or yogurt a day.

Misleading huh? Why not just put the milk in the shake?

If you can spread them out during the day you'll feel more satisfied. Just a thought. :biggrin:

I was worried about dropping below 35 BMI during my pre-op diet. I asked my surgeon what would happen if I got to the hospital and was under. He said not to worry, they'd put rocks in my pockets! Ha!

Acutally the hospital weighed me in a gown, and I barely eeked out over 35. But the fact was, once I had approval in hand, I was good to go. It was based on what I weighed when it was submitted.