Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All! My name is Tereasa and I will begin my Lapband Journey on July 20, 2010. I'm nervous, anxious, and excited all rolled into one. I'm 41 yrs old and have a multitude of health issues ie. high cholestrol, high bood pressure, Diabetes, Diabetic Neuropathy, and probably a few more things yet to be determined. In all seriousness, I feel like I have always been a bit heavier than most of my peers in High School. After the birth of my children, I found it extremely difficult to lose the weight. While I was pregnant with my youngest, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. That should have been my first clue! Now I'm scared for my life and have decided that it's time to take back control. After several years of research, I have chosen Dr. Faoud Hachem to be my surgeon. I start my clear liquid diet on 2 days and will continue this diet until the day prior to my surgery, and will resume for 1-2 weeks after the procedure. I have another appt. with Dr. Hachem on July 29, to see if I've lost the 10 lbs he wants me to lose before the surgery. I'm so scared that I'm gonna feel like I'm starving, and I'm even more scared for my family...that I might be a total crab. I will continue to check in and read the posts of everyone to keep me on track. You all give me hope!:smile:

Hello All! My name is Tereasa and I will begin my LAP-BAND® Journey on July 20, 2010. I'm nervous, anxious, and excited all rolled into one. I'm 41 yrs old and have a multitude of health issues ie. high cholestrol, high bood pressure, Diabetes, Diabetic Neuropathy, and probably a few more things yet to be determined. In all seriousness, I feel like I have always been a bit heavier than most of my peers in High School. After the birth of my children, I found it extremely difficult to lose the weight. While I was pregnant with my youngest, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. That should have been my first clue! Now I'm scared for my life and have decided that it's time to take back control. After several years of research, I have chosen Dr. Faoud Hachem to be my surgeon. I start my clear liquid diet on 2 days and will continue this diet until the day prior to my surgery, and will resume for 1-2 weeks after the procedure. I have another appt. with Dr. Hachem on July 29, to see if I've lost the 10 lbs he wants me to lose before the surgery. I'm so scared that I'm gonna feel like I'm starving, and I'm even more scared for my family...that I might be a total crab. I will continue to check in and read the posts of everyone to keep me on track. You all give me hope!:tt2:

Hi Tereasa, I'm Dawn. Congratulations on the start of your journey. You are a couple of years younger than me but let me say that I was borderline everything, plus had sleep Apnea and open heart surgery for an aortic anuerysm and valve replacement in 2001. I will need to have the valve replaced again because I had a pigs valve put in, which unfortunately they don't last for a lifetime. I did this because I just didn't want to take blood thinner for the rest of my life. So next time I'm getting a mechanical and taking blood thinner because I honestly don't want to get it done again after that. Anyway needless to say I had my lapband on Oct. 23, 2009. I have successfully lost 102lbs, am no longer borderline anything and I no longer have sleep apnea. I just went 2 weeks ago to the cardiologist and he told me that my valve is functioning at 100% and that I have probably prolonged my surgery.

So my point, it's normal to be nervous and it's normal to ask yourself all of the questions that you are asking yourself. I can't say that you won't be starving because you will be. When you start the liquid diet you will be starving, tired and cranky. Once you have your surgery you probably won't be hungry for the first week. When the swelling goes down you will start getting hungry again. Some people feel relief after the first fill but to be honest with you, it takes about 3-5 fills before you start feeling satisfied.

Here's how you get by all of that. You have to make up your mind that you are going to do this. Go into it with the mind set that the lapband is a tool that will help you to reach your goal and keep the weight off. It's not a miracle cure it all. It will not take away your bad habits. I would suggest now trying to educate yourself on the difference between real hunger and head hunger. It will ultimately help you in the long run. As for your family, they will get by. You will be surprise how much your family kind of falls into your good habits after you get banded. My husband is actually losing weight because I am not eating as much and I am not eating all of the bad food that I used to eat.

Check out my blog. It might help to answer some of your questions. Right now is the best time for you to read up on everything. That way you will be aware of what is going on and how to deal with things as they arise.

In all honesty I only have 1 regret. And that is that I didn't get this done sooner. I couldn't be happier. I haven't been this weight since 1987. You will be so suprised at how your self esteem comes back once you start losing the weight and people start noticing you. I have completely lost a person on the outside but I have gained a person on the inside (my self esteem). You will too.

I wish you much luck on your journey. I would also suggest a local support group if you have one in your area as well as coming here. Please feel free to ask questions. And DO keep us posted on your progress.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!:)

Hello Dawn! And thanks for your words of encouragement. This weekend has been very hard and emotional for me. I was informed on Thursday that a couple of red flags popped up in my labwork. My A1C is too high, and my thyroid levels are running low. The thyroid is totally new to me...never had a problem with it before. My surgeon's nurse told me that he will not do the procedure if my A1C is not below an 8, but to stay on the liquid diet until our next apopintment on July 29th. I called my PCM and there isn't anything we can do to bring it down before my surgery date of Aug. 3. I have 2 different flavors of Protein Drinks and they pretty much taste the same now, and its getting harder to "get down". I'm staying the course until I can see my PMC on Monday, at which point she will have discussed everything with the surgeon..or at least I hope. Its just harder now because I have a feeling the surgery is going to be postponed, and I "feel" like I'm just being tortured until I find out for sure.

Edited by XOQtblondi@aol.com

Hello Dawn! And thanks for your words of encouragement. This weekend has been very hard and emotional for me. I was informed on Thursday that a couple of red flags popped up in my labwork. My A1C is too high, and my thyroid levels are running low. The thyroid is totally new to me...never had a problem with it before. My surgeon's nurse told me that he will not do the procedure if my A1C is not below an 8, but to stay on the liquid diet until our next apopintment on July 29th. I called my PCM and there isn't anything we can do to bring it down before my surgery date of Aug. 3. I have 2 different flavors of Protein drinks and they pretty much taste the same now, and its getting harder to "get down". I'm staying the course until I can see my PMC on Monday, at which point she will have discussed everything with the surgeon..or at least I hope. Its just harder now because I have a feeling the surgery is going to be postponed, and I "feel" like I'm just being tortured until I find out for sure.

Wow I am so sorry you are having such a bad time right now. I wish there was something that I could say or do that would make you feel better but I know that nothing I say will make you less anxious about finding out if you will be having the surgery or not. I know it sucks but if your surgery is posted poned its for the best. If your blood work is not just right and they take the chance of operating on you, the risks are very high. So trust your doctor and I promise you, how ever long you have to wait, it will be worth it. I do hope that everything works out for the best. Please keep me posted.

As for your Protein shakes. You might want to try a different brand. I know they are expsensive but if you are bored of them, they aren't going to do you any good. They do make fruity ones. They also make unflavored ones and ones that taste like chicken broth.

Anyway good luck to you. I wish you the best. Let me know what happens.