Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bowel Obstructions

I've noticed that a few people on here have had surgery for a bowel obstruction. Is this band related, or just coincidence? It's never occurred to me until now, but I don't track my Fiber intake. With our high Protein diet, is getting in the recommended amount of Fiber even possible?

How much fiber do you guys get in a day? If you supplement, can you recommend a good one (and please don't say metamucil - blech!). Thanks!

I try to get in as much natural Fiber as I can. Fiber One Cereal is my fav...it has a slight sweet taste that I just love. I sprinkle 3 tablespoons of it on everything. I use it for salad crunchies, on my tunafish, on my cottage cheese and in my yogurt. I also eat a lowcarb wheat bread. But with my last fill, that has beenkinda hard to eat lately. It is recommended to get 25 grams a day and I track mine through fitday. When I am not going to make that for anygiven day I use Benefiber tablets and the mix in stuff. I use it two ways, I put a tablespoon in my coffee and I mix it in my ice tea. I put a little hot Water in my glass first to ensure that it is mixed up well and then pour in my ice tea. It is truly clear and you would never know it was there. It does alter the taste a tiny bit, but not enough to make you not want to drink it. It is something I really have to work at to get in in a day. I also got my samples from FiberChoice and that is a hard candy you suck on. They were great, but at 13.00 a box kinda on the pricey side for me right now. Hope this helps.

Benefiber is a good one to supplement with, as it is very band friendly.

High fiber cereals and bread are both an awesome way to get some much needed fiber into our diets as well.

Hope this helps. ~K

I've wondered about this too, Anwyn. Are bowel obstructions related to low Fiber intake (that is, to constipation)? Or is there some other element necessary for an obstruction to happen? If the former, I'd think we'd see it a lot MORE often than we do among bandsters--it would probably be cited as a fairly common risk.

Whatever the answer, it's obviously important to keep things moving and fiber helps immensely in that regard. I use Benefiber when necessary, which it was often during my more-restricted phases. Now that I can eat Cereal I like Trader Joe's Organic Raisin Bran Clusters (YUM!!) which packs a good fiber punch. Atkins Advantage Protein bars also have the most fiber of any Protein Bar I've ever seen--10 grams in most varieties.

I've been using Benifiber too. I don't get in much Fiber, since I cut out most carbs, even the complex ones months ago. I haven't tried my beloved broccolli with this new fill, I'm chicken :D

My grandmother died from a bowel obstruction, and my aunt (her daughter) had to be air lifted from a cruise in Alaska because of one. She almost died, and neither one had a band.

Paul, you're not really selling me on the poop shakes (for some strange reason). :D Although it sounds like a drink my 5 year old son would happily try...:) I think I'll try the Benefiber.

I've always been unregular and it sucks lol, but recently I started taking metamucil capsules. I can't do the drinks, they make me gag, but the capsules actually go down quite well, for me. That seems to have helped.

While I try to get Fiber through greenage, with the amount of restriction I currently have those small salads just don't cut it.

I don't know if it's band friendly but flax seed is a great Fiber supplement. I used it religiously when I was on Atkins (I followed the super strict induction phase for over a year). I would by the ground kind and use it as a topping for foods, or make pancakes or muffins from it.

If it's band-friendly I have some killer recipes.

Ah so metamucil do capsules now? I cant drink the stuff either, bleurgh.

I'm worried about this, I'm a fruit and veg nutter and I currently eat enormous salads for lunch quite often. I know I just wont be able to. I also eat 2 or 3 pieces of fruit a day and wholegrain bread, often have meusli for Breakfast too. So I'm very regular, lol.

The more I think about it the more I think some sort of Protein shake/smoothie seems to the perfect bandster Breakfast and has become a bit of a habit for me. What a great chance to get in dairy, fruit, Protein, my dessertspoon of flax oil and a spoonful or two of unprocessed bran. So much of what you need in a day in one package, its a bonus!

And again, you just cant waste your stomach capacity on crap. Most people need 20 to 30g of fibre a day, most unbanded people dont manage that! I'd say supplementing fibre is a good idea.

Wheat germ. You can buy it at any grocery store and sprinkle it on just about anything. It is great for Fiber intake.

Regarding bowel obstructions. They often result from adhesions; which some people are prone to post op. I've had to have them removed twice.