Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saw the nutritionist yesterday and it was devastating...

I did not know just how overweight I am. She said I should weigh 125 and I weigh 225! I'm really, really hoping my insurance approves this. My BMI is under 40 so who knows what they will do but I do have co morbidities. I so hope they approve me quickly. I can't believe I have 100 pounds to lose:(

With 100lbs to lose and co morbidities you should be approved .

If your ins. co. covers weight loss surgery they usually say if it's medically necessary and with the co-morbidities it seems to be.

I am in your same boat and I was approved. I have 100-120 lbs to lose and I had HBP and deterioration of my left knee.

My surgeons office is slow so I'm impatiently waiting for my surgery hopefully I'll be banded in August.

I thought you were 5' 5", no?

I started off with 144lbs to lose to even get me on the high end of "normal" for my height, and a BMI of 47. It is VERY doable. You are 100lbs overweight with comorbidities, which is what most insuarnces look for.

according to the BMI chart, the healthy weight range for a woman who is 5'5" is 114lbs-150lbs.

NHLBI, Obesity Guidelines - Evidence Tables

I went yesterday and was told my goal weight would be 175 post surgery. I am 5'7". I had thought I would lose a lot more weight than that. I am currently 257 lbs but was 336 5 years ago. Why do they set your goal weight so high. It doesn't even get me into the normal range. Am I really still going to be a size 18, even with the band? Starting to wonder if it is worth it as I am self pay.

I think they set the OP's goal weight in low so she would have the magic number "100" for her insurance approval.

Kimmy-- I think some Dr's set your goal weight high so that you will not be intimidated by the amount of weight you have to lose. You can lose as much as you want to. There are people on here who have lost more than they now weigh. Plus you can then say "I am 20 pounds below my goal weight."

I was originally thinking mine would be 150, but after I started losing I realized that 130 would be attainable but if I had only lost down to 150 I would have still been happy (self pay too.)

I think they set the OP's goal weight in low so she would have the magic number "100" for her insurance approval.

Kimmy-- I think some Dr's set your goal weight high so that you will not be intimidated by the amount of weight you have to lose. You can lose as much as you want to. There are people on here who have lost more than theynow weigh. Plus you can then say "I am 20 pounds below my goal weight."

I was originally thinking mine would be 150, but after I started losing I realized that 130 would be attainable but if I had only lost down to 150 I would have still been happy (self pay too.)

The bolded is how I feel. I think they are more conservative with weight loss with the band ,telling us if we do well you can expect to lose from 1-2 lbs per wk. I have seen many in my research that have done much better if they follow the protocol.

You can set your goal for wherever you want to be and go for it.

I'm 5'2" and my goal is 140-150 . I hope I'm like Leigha and I get to that point and see that I can make it to 125-130 so that I can truly be the petite I'm supposed to be. :cool:

I'm not sure if she did it to get to the magic 100 or if she really meant it.

She was super tiny herself. She said for women 5 foot you should weigh 100 pounds. Then you add 5 pounds for every inch to get your normal, healthy weight.

I'm 5'9" and my goal (for myself) is 175, which would put my BMI at 26. Yes, still overweight. I would be good with 175. If I get under 175, even better!

She was super tiny herself. She said for women 5 foot you should weigh 100 pounds. Then you add 5 pounds for every inch to get your normal, healthy weight.

:cool: That's funny!!

I'm 5'2" ... so according to her and I'm sure the insurance charts I should be 110 lbs.

I would look like super crackhead at that weight.

Do what feels and looks right to you as long as your healthy and fit.

I'm 153cm which is 5'+ a smidgen. 100lb is just over 45kg - even my very skinny 21 year old daughter weighs more than that!I think that for an adult female that is an extremely unachievable goal. To lose another 7kg I would literally have to starve myself.

If that is true, I am 5'2" or a little shy of, that would make my goal weight of 110 lbs. I frankly do not want to be that skinny. I do not like the look of seeing bone and I feel that is what I would be at that point.

I don't like any flat "rule" of how much someone should weigh. I have a half sister who is the same height as me (5'5") but she has really little bones. My finger and thumb barely go around my wrist but they cross over hers and overlap about an inch. I am muscular and she is not.

We have both been a size 10 at the same time, when I am a size 10 I weigh 150, she weighs 135 at size 10.