Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on the 15th of July now 3 days, I have been very surprised at the variances in diet that each Doc has. Mine has a program that I am on liquids for 2 weeks before any mushies even then nothing like real food till week 5. I am sick of broth and Jello already and am NOT looking forward to the next month.

is this the "hell" part or is it worse trying to get your fill just right? I dropped 20 lbs pre-op and dont want to gain even a lb back. I think I am in for some hungry days.

dman

I wondered the same thing and I think it is when you are healing and start getting hungery but don't have a whole lot of choices because of restricted diet, I am just guessing though :smile:

Banded on the 15th of July now 3 days, I have been very surprised at the variances in diet that each Doc has. Mine has a program that I am on liquids for 2 weeks before any mushies even then nothing like real food till week 5. I am sick of broth and Jello already and am NOT looking forward to the next month.

is this the "hell" part or is it worse trying to get your fill just right? I dropped 20 lbs pre-op and dont want to gain even a lb back. I think I am in for some hungry days.

dman

Bandster hell is typically referred to as the period after surgery swelling subsides until satisfactory restriction is achieved from fills. This is because the hunger normally returns like a raging wildfire during this period and all you have to fight it with is will power - because most bands are "installed" empty.

If you are having trouble with the food stages, contact your surgeons office and ask permission to try more foods. Many will allow you to try a "test" food from the next step to see how well you tolerate it. But remember, the goal is healing during this period and more solid foods require your stomach to work harder and this is what's trying to be avoided.

Good luck!

Brad

I am now on Day 3 Post-Op. I thought I had lucked out and didn't have any gas pains, until 2 am this morning. I woke up with a horrible sharp pain in my chest like I had been stabbed. I got up and walked about the house for about 30 minutes, starting belching like crazy and it went away for the most part.

I was only required to be on the all clear liquid diet for the day of surgery and was allowed to move onto pureed foods the second day. I am sticking to my Protein shakes for the most part though. Thankfully, I haven't felt hunger yet. I am making myself drink the shakes just to help with the nausea from the pain meds. I tried to eat a yogurt this morning and was only able to take about 5 bites before feeling full.

So weird how every Dr. has different diet restrictions pre- & post-op?

I was absolutely miserable with back and shoulder pain for up to a week, used liquid lore tab (sp?) as the liquid tylenol didn't do anything except make me gag!

I found the only thing that causes that chest pressure is when I didn't chew food enough. It lasted a couple of hours, otherwise, when I've had too much. Either food or liquid... feels like someone is sitting on my chest!

I was only required to be on the all clear liquid diet for the day of surgery and was allowed to move onto pureed foods the second day.

So weird how every Dr. has different diet restrictions pre- & post-op?

Mine is making me do Clear Liquids for the 1st week, "bodied" no chunks liquid for the 2nd week, I dont get any pureed food till the 3rd week.

Is my surgeon "over cautious" or is yours reckless? sure sucks eating Jello and broth.

I feel like I could eat a double whopper but I know that is my head hungry talking. Hope I can control it later when I can eat real food.< /p>

I am 5 days post op, feeing "kinda OK" but back at work at least.

dman

Is my surgeon "over cautious" or is yours reckless? sure sucks eating Jello and broth.

dman

Good question? He & most of his staff have also been banded so I was comfortable with them and their practices. He sure was cautious on the pre-op, I was only allowed 4 Protein shakes a day & Water. Jello on occasion, but not everyday.

Funny thing, I have no desire to really eat though. I have stuck with jello for the most part post-op. I am lucky to drink 30 oz of Water a day and that is really pushing it. I have felt pretty crappy (mostly gas in my chest) up until today though so if I don't get some sore of appetite within the next few days I'll be sure to give him a call.