Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banding after gastric bypass?

Guest queenzed

Guest queenzed

Anyone out there end up getting banded after trying gastric bypass surgery? Or anyone know of someone like this? If so, can you share your story with me? I am very curious. I didn't know this could be done, but I over heard a conversation at a store the other day of a lady that did do this.

Thanks!

I understand that my clinic has done this. I don't personally know anyone who's had this done, but I do know that my surgeons have done it.

In the seminar that I attended, my surgeon mentioned that he had done it, but I don't know anyone who has had it done.

I know several people who have had this done since my Dr. in TJ has done several of them, I seem to meet a new patient who had bypass and now has the band.everytime I go to Tj

You can go to his website and post a thread there and hopefully get answers from those who have had it done

There is Linda and Gayle over at the other site he has a thread specifically set up for this topic

www.lapbandforum.com

My doctor mentioned having the bypass and the band done at the SAME time; not getting the band after the bypass had failed. He said it greatly increased the long-term success rate of both surgeries.

You might do a search on obeistyhelp.com, I came across a message board for just bypass patients who had the band as well. you might just do a search for the band and see what pops up. There were several people on that forum that had that done.

I am shocked to hear that this can be done, but yet happy for those whom have had it done and are having success with it!

My band doc said that she receives requests for this on an almost daily basis and that it cannot be done. (Maybe she meant that she WON'T do it.)

Guest queenzed

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, it is possible--there is a woman on the obesityhelp.com lap band forum who had this done, but usually it is performed by a surgeon who has specialized in these cases like Dr. Ariel Ortiz.

Don't know what results they get b/c i don't know enough ppl who had it done to follow the outcome.

There is someone in my group for Dr. Aceves that is having this done after her gastric bypass from a few years ago. You can go to our group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Dr-Aceves-bandsters

I think her screen name is MC_MD...something like that, I know her name is Michelle. I think she would gladly give you information. She is going to have her lapband in a few weeks. Good Luck!

Most hospitals and surgeons have a strict policy not to take people who have preveiously had gastric surgery. If they couldn't lose and keep it off on that, the band isn't going to be the solution. The solution is within themselves and they have to search for it. It's a tool, not a given.

For the super obese, RNY may not take them far enough though--many of these ppl end up still in the 200s

Most hospitals and surgeons have a strict policy not to take people who have preveiously had gastric surgery. If they couldn't lose and keep it off on that, the band isn't going to be the solution. The solution is within themselves and they have to search for it. It's a tool, not a given.

I dunno. The way my surgeon explained it was that some folks with the RNY, even if they are being the best RNY patients that they possibly can, still have problmes like things stretching, through no fault of their own.

I think it is entirely possible that there are members of the Turtle Tribe who've had some other WLS, like the RNY. It would make perfect sense, given our stories here on LBT. It may be that RNY Turtles need the band too because they haven't lost their weight within their weight loss window.

I am from Maine and one Doctor in Portland does it. I am looking into it now. I had bypass 12 years ago. So it can be done-some won't do it though.