Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was put on a 600-800 calorie diet. I was wondering how low to keep my carbs. The nut said no carbs which I find impossible. Will I still lose the weight? I only lost one pound in a month and got a scolding. So I have been journaling my intake of foods and trying to stay within my range. Do you get to deduct the calories from exercise? I'm about 3 and a half weeks out. My surgery date was June 17. Any replies will be greatly appreciated. One more question do you have to wait the whole 6 weeks before any core exercises?:)

rpm2010

IMO that is way too low calories. Your body goes into starvation mode if you don't get enough calories and starts cannibalizing your muscle mass and holding onto the fat. You need the muscle to fuel your metabolism. Personally I think no carbs is not healthy for you either and really, I would not want to live in a world where I could not have a hot slice of freshly baked wheat bread once in awhile. :)

It may or may not be too low in calories--we have no way to assess that; everyone's different. I've consistently eaten 800-ish calories/day, have lost almost 70 pounds, and have not yet had a lasting plateau. I have more than enough energy to exercise vigorously at least once, and most of the time twice, a day (which, in addition to my Protein intake, ensures that I am losing fat, not muscle.) My body requires that level of intake in order to lose; it's the reason I was banded. I am grateful my doctor was able to see this--it led me to the tool I needed!

(There is little peer-reviewed research to back the popular "starvation mode" theory.)

That said, if the nutritionist said "no carbs," I'd want a great deal more explanation from her.

My doctor's regimen is low-carb & high Protein. As I mentioned, it's in the 800 calorie range--though he doesn't emphasize calories. (It's just what it turns out to be when I eat that way.)

I do eat carbs---from legumes, vegetables, and fruits. I will add whole grains back in when I reach 75% of excess weight lost. But most days, my net carbs are less than 50 grams--which is pretty darn low.

It's been very liveable for me. Stomach space is at a premium once restriction is achieved, so making good choices in terms of food quality (lean Proteins, veggies, fruits, Beans, heart-healthy fats) is lots easier. Before restriction, it took a good deal more willpower (and hunger!)---but it was still liveable; the results made it worthwhile for me.

Still, I'd want clarification from the nutritionist. Did she mean no refined carbs? That's not bad advice, most days (though there's always room, in any lifestyle, for treats and exceptions). If she meant no fruits, veggies, or legumes? That'd be a problem for me.

Off on a tangent a bit, but it's important for you to remember that your body is different from every other body on this planet. Mine really responds well to low carbs--I feel better without the grains (but I've long suspected intolerances). Your body may be totally different. Most people don't find that the source of their calories (carb, fat, protein) makes a huge difference; if their calorie intake is in the right range, they lose no matter what. I can't; it's just the way it is. But once your band is doing its job (once you have restriction), I think you can feel pretty free to see what works for YOU. If you journal for a while, you'll begin to see patterns that are helpful for you. If you find that more carbs work for you, then add 'em in! If not, don't.

My point is this: your doctor's/nutritionist's recommendations are made based on what they've observed to be useful for the majority of their patients. If you find it doesn't work for you, find a way to tweak them so that your needs are met. If your doctor's nutritionist is rigid and can't help you do that, there are others who can.

Just make sure you meet your body's basic nutrient needs---that's what is most important.

Well, that was rambly and incoherent! (Did I mention my doctor also vetoes caffeine LOL?! Clearly, I need it this morning.)

Thanks for your replies.....I think yesterday my carbs was in the sixties somewhere. I'm only 5 feet two so I cant eat much anyway. Do you deduct the calories burned with exercise from your daily number of calories for the day?

Edited by rpm2010

I have been deducting the calories burned in my diary but I was never told to do that. I bought a calorie king book and it said to do that. But I still try and keep my calories around 1000-1200 despite what I end up burning off.

Betsy-

I'm curious to know, what are some examples of your typical meals for a day?? I'm trying to stick to low(er) carbs as well but often find myself eating higher calorie foods like pepperoni and cheese slices for lunch. I'm having a hard time doing low carb while also staying low calories. I'm always looking for low calorie yet low carb food suggestions, any advice??

Well for me I have to journal and count the calories, carbs and fats etc to see how many I am getting. They can creep up on you pretty quickly. To keep the carbs low it is mainly a lean meat and non-starchy vegetable. Read all the labels you will be surprised just how many their is in some foods:unsure:

Good luck.....rpm2010