Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Total beginner, 6 weeks pre-surgery

Hello! Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm KatjaE and I just got my surgery date of August 27 -- about six weeks away.

I'm a complete beginner here, but I think I'm ready. I'm more excited than nervous. I've already made a LOT of behavioral changes over the last year:

-- In March 2009, I started exercising 6 days a week (33 minutes on a recumbent stationary bike). This did not lead to weight loss, but it made me feel stronger and healthier.

-- In the summer of 2009, I stopped eating ice cream and started eating big salads almost every day. (This was a MAJOR change for me and my family.) This did not lead to weight loss either.

-- In January and February of 2010, I had some brief but severe health issues caused by a drug interaction. This led me to change my diet in a couple of ways:

------ I started eating lots of plain yogurt and other dairy products with good bacteria (probiotics) to control some serious digestive issues caused by massive quantities of antibiotics during the hospitalizations.

------ I also cut way back on carbs because I learned (while in the hospital) that my blood sugar was a bit high -- not at the level of diabetes, but not good, either.

I have lost about 20 pounds since February. I attribute the weight loss partly to the low-carb diet but also partly to the fact that I've stopped taking the medications that made me so sick in January and February. I believe that they might have caused part of my weight gain over the last few years.

I am pursuing the lap band surgery because I want to control several lingering health issues: elevated blood sugar, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and sleep apnea (I use a CPAP machine). These issues do not affect my quality of life a great deal right now (at age 43), but I think they will cause problems as I get older. So I want to fix them now.

I'm curious to hear from folks about how they decided whom to tell about their surgery. My own preference would be to tell my husband and children, and no one else. I'm not sure why I feel this way. I don't feel ashamed of needing the surgery, but for some reason -- I just don't want to tell anyone, not even my parents, who I'm sure would be supportive. Maybe I just don't want people to be asking me afterwards "so how much weight have you lost?" I'm not really interested in discussing my weight with anyone other than my doctor.

Well, I'm looking forward to hearing from some of you and to reading all of the threads on this board!

Thanks for listening!

KatjaE :grouphug:

Hi KatjaE,

My name is Mishells, I live in the Chicago-land area.

I am still waiting for a Surgery date but have jumped thru all the other hoops to have it.

I first went to a seminor in Sept of last year and decide to start, then in October my employer decided to make a change to our insurance...due to a better chance of being approved I waited until 1/1/2010.

I have tried many diets and the few friends that I have told about my decision think that I am take the easy way out....I think not. I don't think the surgery is for the weak at all. I too have found that its good to leave the Surgery talk @ home with my hubby and kids.

I have found that I need a CPap machine also but have been lucky with no other meds at this time but I know if I stay my current weight I will find more problems and want to be here on this earth to see my Grandkids.

Since my jouney has started I have lost about 20 Ibs and have stopped drinking any kind of soda. At this time my workout is only playing on the Wii Fit. I hope to join one of those Women Weight loss places to help with the extra skin that I will have as I lose.

Good luck to you! God Bless!

Hello! Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm KatjaE and I just got my surgery date of August 27 -- about six weeks away.

I'm a complete beginner here, but I think I'm ready. I'm more excited than nervous. I've already made a LOT of behavioral changes over the last year:

-- In March 2009, I started exercising 6 days a week (33 minutes on a recumbent stationary bike). This did not lead to weight loss, but it made me feel stronger and healthier.

-- In the summer of 2009, I stopped eating ice cream and started eating big salads almost every day. (This was a MAJOR change for me and my family.) This did not lead to weight loss either.

-- In January and February of 2010, I had some brief but severe health issues caused by a drug interaction. This led me to change my diet in a couple of ways:

------ I started eating lots of plain yogurt and other dairy products with good bacteria (probiotics) to control some serious digestive issues caused by massive quantities of antibiotics during the hospitalizations.

------ I also cut way back on carbs because I learned (while in the hospital) that my blood sugar was a bit high -- not at the level of diabetes, but not good, either.

I have lost about 20 pounds since February. I attribute the weight loss partly to the low-carb diet but also partly to the fact that I've stopped taking the medications that made me so sick in January and February. I believe that they might have caused part of my weight gain over the last few years.

I am pursuing the LAP-BAND® surgery because I want to control several lingering health issues: elevated blood sugar, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and sleep apnea (I use a CPAP machine). These issues do not affect my quality of life a great deal right now (at age 43), but I think they will cause problems as I get older. So I want to fix them now.

I'm curious to hear from folks about how they decided whom to tell about their surgery. My own preference would be to tell my husband and children, and no one else. I'm not sure why I feel this way. I don't feel ashamed of needing the surgery, but for some reason -- I just don't want to tell anyone, not even my parents, who I'm sure would be supportive. Maybe I just don't want people to be asking me afterwards "so how much weight have you lost?" I'm not really interested in discussing my weight with anyone other than my doctor.

Well, I'm looking forward to hearing from some of you and to reading all of the threads on this board!

Thanks for listening!

KatjaE :blink:

Hi KatjaE,

My Name is Brenda and I live in Tempe, Arizona. I am in the process of being approved for Lap Band Surgery. I am going thru my insurance Aetna. I have 3 more appointments before I can qualify. I started in June but was on the fense and canceled my appointment but then had second thoughts. Rescheduled my appointment so I am going thru it.

I am 59yrs old and have been on 50k diets. I did lose weight on Nutrisystem but I hated the food. It was all procesed and would give me gas so bad. LOL. :grouphug: I can lose the weight but cant seem to keep it off so I think this will be the tool.

I need to lose 60-70lbs and keep it off. that is my dream.

I also have a heart condition Cardiomyopathy, and Mortons nuromas on both feet. I take Blood presser meds.

I will let you know when I get approved. wish me luck.

:lol:

Good luck to both of you, Mishells and Brenda!

And thank you for writing back. :grouphug:

I don't think the surgery is the easy way out. It's the ONLY way out. Something like 95% or 98% of people who lose weight with diet and exercise alone GAIN BACK THE WEIGHT. Somehow, the human body was not meant to lose lots of weight and keep it off.

And I am not really interested in talking with people who think it's the "easy way out" or that I'm just being lazy. I've worked very hard and lost significant weight several times over the last 15 years. If most people I know aren't ready to understand that, I'm just not interested in convincing them. This is why I don't really want to tell people about it.

I was glad to hear that Mishells feels the same way.

It will be a little awkward though, because I will have those days off from work and then be on a different diet when I get back. But I'm hoping to take just 3 - 4 days off work (the surgery is on a Friday -- I hope to go back to work the following Wednesday or Thursday). And everyone knows I'm already being careful about what I eat and watching my carbs and blood sugar. They all know I had health issues earlier this year and had to be on a liquid diet while battling C Diff. So -- I'm guessing no one will figure out I've had WLS.

What kind of hoops have you had to jump through?

I had to demonstrate that I could lose some weight under a doctor's supervision for three months.

I also had to have a psych evaluation, which went just fine.

Tomorrow is the nutrition counseling.

I will also have a physical therapy session in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure what that is about; I suppose they teach you how to exercise? That is not really a problem for me, but I suppose if I had more severe limitations, I might not know how to exercise.

I'm curious to hear others' experiences in this "getting ready" stage!

KatjaE

Good luck to both of you, Mishells and Brenda!

And thank you for writing back. :lol:

I don't think the surgery is the easy way out. It's the ONLY way out. Something like 95% or 98% of people who lose weight with diet and exercise alone GAIN BACK THE WEIGHT. Somehow, the human body was not meant to lose lots of weight and keep it off.

And I am not really interested in talking with people who think it's the "easy way out" or that I'm just being lazy. I've worked very hard and lost significant weight several times over the last 15 years. If most people I know aren't ready to understand that, I'm just not interested in convincing them. This is why I don't really want to tell people about it.

I was glad to hear that Mishells feels the same way.

It will be a little awkward though, because I will have those days off from work and then be on a different diet when I get back. But I'm hoping to take just 3 - 4 days off work (the surgery is on a Friday -- I hope to go back to work the following Wednesday or Thursday). And everyone knows I'm already being careful about what I eat and watching my carbs and blood sugar. They all know I had health issues earlier this year and had to be on a liquid diet while battling C Diff. So -- I'm guessing no one will figure out I've had WLS.

What kind of hoops have you had to jump through?

I had to demonstrate that I could lose some weight under a doctor's supervision for three months.

I also had to have a psych evaluation, which went just fine.

Tomorrow is the nutrition counseling.

I will also have a physical therapy session in a couple of weeks. I'm not sure what that is about; I suppose they teach you how to exercise? That is not really a problem for me, but I suppose if I had more severe limitations, I might not know how to exercise.

I'm curious to hear others' experiences in this "getting ready" stage!

KatjaE

I have not had to really jump thru hoops yet. I see the nurtrionist next appointment. I had to write a timed letter on diets that I have tried. Which True Results gave me a guide letter to follow. Was pretty easy. I had a psych eval which was not bad I may even go back to her she was pretty good. My insurance will cover it also. She mad me see things differently. she did ask if I was going to tell anyone that I was haveing this surgery. I said not.... I was keeping it to myself. I feel this is very personal and my choice and dont want any ones opinion on it. So there I choose to not tell anyone.

I know my BMI is 36 and I can not loose anymore weight or I will not qualify. if it is lower than 35 the ins. will not pay.

:grouphug: