Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Most fruits and fruit juices okay?

I have yet to be banded. I was wondering if acidic fruit after being banded is okay? I love grapefruit and grapefruit juice and mandarin oranges and orange juice. I was wondering about the acid in those...would it hurt the band in some way?

Blessings, Michelle

I was told that they are not okay during the clear liquid phase because of the pulp, but I assume after that you can have them. My dr didnt say NOT to

I've been banded for awhile and I eat fruits very regularly and have not been advised not to. Like the other poster mentioned it's only during the clear liquid phase or liquid phase its best not to eat your fruit. However if you want to drink them, get them without pulp.

Apple juice was good during the Clear liquids phase, and then v8 is especially good during the liquids phase. You need your veggies!!

Would cranberry juice be considered a clear liquid? I love V8 juice for the regular liquid phase. I'm a big juice drinker so I'm glad I'll be able to have at least some juices at first.

Once into the all liquid (not necessarily clear), pineapple juice and apricot nectar okay too?

Thanks so much and blessings, Michelle

During the clears I drank anything healthy I could actually see through. Then during the full phase I drank anything as long as it didnt have lumps or was pulpy. I really stuck to my post op diet - and my band is actually still doing quite well.

I did get too tight for a spell but has fixed itself once I got a bit of unfill. So, I think as long as you stick to your post op plan I think you will be ok. Good luck!!!

juice shouldn't hurt your band but is not ideal for weightloss. There are lots of calories in juice, and no Fiber. You are much better off eating your calories. Liquids slide right through the pouch into your "big stomach".

I will have to look at labels closely then...I buy Juicy juice for my toddler and they claim to have 100% juice but not sure about the sugar content. I do buy the light cranberry juice and I drink a ton of sugar free Kool-Aid. I'm trying hard to wean myself off of soda, even though I drink only diet...I know carbonation is contraindicated with the band. I also like those flavored sugar free zero calorie waters at Wal-Mart.

Thanks everyone...blessings, Michelle

Everyone's experience is different - like someone said above, the main problem with juice is calories/sugar, most of us know its usually better to eat the whole fruit, but like anything, if you dont overdo it and its a part of your calculated daily intake, AND you're not low carbing, then its a healthy source of a lot of Vitamins and minerals.

Personally, I like the "taste" of fruit but have never really been big on actually eating it, there's just something about the texture and coldness about it that I dont like, I never fancy fruit. Since being banded, if anything is going to block me up and give me discomfort its fruit. Interestingly, I cant get a glass of juice down to save my life, it blocks me up horribly. I've no idea why, it makes no logical sense.

I compensate by eating a lot of vegies - I love raw cucumber and red capsicum, raw carrots (why those dont bother me but fruit does beats me) and I do enjoy a crisp peeled apple too.

You've no way of knowing how eating fruit and drinking juice will be for you after banding, its one of those leaps of faith you take.

I was instructed by my doctor not to drink any juice after 6 weeks being post banded however, I still allow myself apple juice once a week to "keep things moving". I LOVE strawberries and they are low in calories and I also love Kiwi and do well with both. I often throw about 3 cut up strawberries in with my kashi Cereal and have yet to miss the sugar.

It is true that drinking your calories is not good. Always save your calories for solid healthy meals. However, the I think the premise here was what are good alternatives for post operative clear or full liquid diet.

5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day are healthy and standard, but if you can only have liquids then I say a light fruit juice should be substituted. I did it during my post op and I lost quite well, in fact that was the time I lost most of my weight. Even that won't get you 600 calories, which is far below healthy standards.

Good luck everyone!