Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discovered kinked tube at 1st fill!

Well, I went for my first fill today & the saline would not flow either direction! I then proceded with floroscopy and discovered that the tubing kinked just past the tapered part of the port. I will have to have the port surgically moved in order to get the kink out. My port is located on my left rib. This would only make sense that the potential for kinks would be high considering it is almost directly across from the band. I have never read anything about this happening to anyone else on the forum. The surgeon (from my home town) that worked attempting to give me a fill today places his ports below the band on the abdomen in order to avoid the tubing from potentially curving & kinking. Now I will be paying a plane ticket, room & board and hospital fees, plus the expenses incurred today from the surgeon here besides the price of having the surgery for the band itself. I could have stayed in my home town and had the surgery for $12,500 with free fills for a year. I attempted to save money by going to Mexico, and now it will be costing me the same amount if I would have stayed here.

So sorry to hear of your problems, Cindy. You'll be in my thoughts as you go in for the next surgery. It sucks big time .. :D

Oh gosh! I sure hate to hear this.

Have you used the "search" feature to find out if there have been others around here with this problem?

There are so many members that join and post problems, but never continue posting their status - I think its safe to say that we forget about them. Im sure that in LBT history, weve seen a kinked tube here and there.

Good luck - and please follow up with us post kinking.

Thanks to you all for the the kind words & support. I would like to hear from someone who has experienced this same problem. I would also like to hear from others on the whereabouts of thier ports? Is mine just a fluke unfortunate thing that happened or is there protocol in the placement of the port and for what reasons? I guess the docs that veiw the forum could answer this better than anyone. Would appreciate input.

I'm sorry to hear about your port! My doctor told me that he used to place the port on the rib, but that he soon switched to a lower location. He said that it was easier to fill the band this way.

Guest ASPHALT ANGEL

Hi Cindyh, Sorry to hear about your tubing kinking, did you go see Dr Schmit in Bismarck? That is who I go to.

Thanks Annie & Jolynn. Yes Jolynn, Dr Schmidt is who I saw today for my first fill. He said he also places the port lower on the abdomen in order to prevent this problem (kinking of the tube).

Is mine just a fluke unfortunate thing that happened or is there protocol in the placement of the port and for what reasons? I guess the docs that veiw the forum could answer this better than anyone. Would appreciate input.
I'm not a doc and I don't know if it has anything to do with where your port is placed, but I had a kink at about the same place.

Mine actully built up a leak in the fold of the kink. You can read my story if you search (top blue bar) under "kink".

Long story short the kink (tubing) was cut out and a sleve was placed over, connecting the tubing together. It didn't work and a month later I was rebanded (for free).

I recomend replacing the entire tubing from port to band, don't just have a repair/sleve preformed, my opinion.

It's a small repair don't worry, out-patient procedure.

Good luck and try and read some of my history...it's been about a year since it's all unfolded, no pun intended.

I don't know of anyone else who's been though this, welcome to my club and please do keep me informed.

wow ya'll have started a kinky girls club - LOL - never heard of this before but good information for others who may join your kinky club in the future.

Candysmooch & Vinesqueen, your too funny on the kinky stuff! Humor certainly helps during these times! Vera, I appreciate your story & experience with your kinked tube. Your advise about having a good, effective, proper repair as compared to a quick patch job is good to know. I would not have known the difference. I woke up in tears this morning over this. Just knowing how expensive this is becoming is tearing me apart. I am sure my bill is around $1000.00 from the good doc in ND that took most of his day yesterday attempting to remedy this without having to have surgery. Now I discover my airfare is just short of $1000.00 to Mexico, plus hospital fees & motel. Go figure! And I agree, I should'nt have to be paying any of these expenses.