Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

13 days post-op and questions....

Morning all....

I am 13 days post op today, adn have a couple of questions... things have gone really well for me thus far, with the small set back of some dehydration that required IV therapy on day 7....Am tolerating the full liquids very nicely....

So my questions are:

1: What can I expect at my first post op appointment?

2: Any one have a fear of becoming anorexic since having the surgery done?

3: And what about sleep? I get about 3 hours a night of sleep is all since surgery... I am tired adn not napping during the day, but just cannot seem to sleep at all...

As far as the becoming anorexic thing goes, I just worry about it... actually I obsess over it... making sure I am following the docs timetable for eating to a "T", as to make sure I am not missing any thing, and that I am getting enough liquids in...

Any advice on the above questions would be awesome... thanks so much guys and dolls... Have a wonderful Monday....

:thumbup: Keep at it....

First post-op appt. the surgeon usually weighs you, asks you how you feel, looks at your incisions, etc. He'll probably feel your port just to make sure it's where it needs to be. It's painless really.

No fear of becoming anorexic. I'm not depriving myself of food, nor does gaining a pound here or there bother me. I'm learning how to eat RIGHT, not how to deprive myself of things. If you are seriously worried about it, I'd go to a doctor because it can happen.

Not sure why you aren't sleeping. Maybe you just can't get comfortable? Ask your doctor.

I'm on my 13th day post-op. Don't really understand why you can't sleep. I must have had some sleep apnea issues. I'm breathing a whole lot better since surgery, have lost 22 lbs and sleeping much better at night. Are you still have discomfort or pain at night? Possibly some tylenol before bed? I would definitely ask the Dr. what's up with that! I wouldn't worry about anorexia unless you really have a fear of food. In which case your Dr. needs to know this too and maybe get you a nutritional consult.

During the first post-op as Reverie said the surgeon just wants to see your scars and ask how things are going. He may also tell you how to proceed on your post-op diet. Mine let me move to real food after 2 weeks.

I wish I was anorexic. I'd rather have to force food down my throat than have to refrain from eating it.

I've always had issues sleeping but am actually sleeping better since losing weight. I haven't been able to sleep on my belly for about 15 years and can do so once again.

** PS. those of you that are going to reply about anorexia being an eating disorder and how wrong I am for wishing for it; please save your breath.

Im only 12 days post op but I think I kind of understand the fear of anorexia thing. Ive noticed on liquids that I am losing so fast and then yesterday I ate a few bites of real food(something bad) and even though it was a small amount, I woke up today with my first gain, and 1.5 lb gain at that! It confuses me beacause overall I was still way under the calories I normally would have eaten in a day pre-band. Makes me a little apprehensive to eat anything solid even when I am allowed to. Liquids is working so well. I dont want to gain 10 lbs when I go back to regular foods, but I dont think I could really become anorexic because although its a little scary to eat solids again, I can't hold back forever lol I love to eat too much. Ill just have to make sure and get a fill if I start gaining when I go to solids.

Not sure if thats kind of what you are feeling or not, but like someone else mentioned, if you really feel that you could become anorexic, let your doctor know and maybe you could talk to someone to help you through the mental part of this whole process.

Morning all....

So my questions are:

1: What can I expect at my first post op appointment?

2: Any one have a fear of becoming anorexic since having the surgery done?

3: And what about sleep? I get about 3 hours a night of sleep is all since surgery... I am tired adn not napping during the day, but just cannot seem to sleep at all...

Hi Janica:

1. basically they want to see how your doing, and where your at, don't worry if you gain some weight it is normal!

2. Not really but sometimes you will be at a point that you may not want to eat, it happens just make sure you drink the Protein drinks!

3. You may want to try some sleepy time tea, you may still have some residual of anesthesia give it some time you will be able to sleep soon!

Good Luck!

Sandee

I'm 13 days out too, and I hear ya on the scale moving up even after a tiny bit of 'real' food. I've been eating for about 5 days now, and the scale has gone up like 3lbs (although I refuse to change my ticker! hahaha). Don't worry, it will go down eventually. It's like we've been in starvation mode and when we get some food, our bodies do not want to let it go!! Also, I think Water weight gain happens to us more often than skinny people since we have more fat to hold the Water. Who knows, I could be talking out of my butt...but that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :thumbup:

As for being anorexic, highly unlikely. Mal-nourished, maybe...but not anorexic.

Best of luck to you!!