Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how much am i gonna loose? start 225lbs

hi everyone.

i'm being banded on 07/26/2010

am 25 yrs old, have gained 35 lbs. in 3 months.

i was 136 lbs. 5 years ago.

i loose quite fast usually when im on a diet. i have really good self control. i'm wondering, in your experience, if you've been in my weight range, how much did u loose in how long?

how much did u loose on liquid preop and post op diet?

i'm starting liquid presurgical diet in a day.

am quite nervous, starting to have second thought on the whole thing. is that normal? should i just ignore it?

i hope you can tell me some encouraging words, to get my mind back on track, and being exited.

actually if i'm gonna hear in ur answers how much weight i'm gonna loose, i'll get positive already.

its gonna be a good motivation for me.

looking forward to see some helpfull answers.

weight.png

Second thoughts are not such a bad thing. Let yourself re-evaluate the situation, weigh the pros and cons of your decision, and decide whether or not this is for you. Personally, I am happy with the results. I didn't lose a lot pre-op or directly post-op (maybe about ten pounds) but since I had my last fill, my weight has steadily dropped. Each person is different, so it is risky to try and foresee your own future by peering into someone else's crystal ball.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

I think you'll do really well because you're young, have discipline when you set your mind to it and are a "loser". I wish you had described what the hesitation was about. The surgery is quite minor. The only thing to "dread" would be the pre-op diet and bandster hell (do a search). After that it's smooth sailing, for the most part. I've lost 80 pounds in five months, if that helps you. Being nervous isn't a sign from the gods or anything. It's normal! Don't analyze it too much. Just start your diet and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

thanx for all ur replies.

LapNYC,

you asked what my hesitation were?

i have these worries about the port forever being in my body.

i'm afraid of the port bothering me when i'm pregnant.

as soon as i'm skinny i want to become pregnant again.

i've read about lots of women having "port pain".

i dont want to throw up, not even when i'm pregnant do i throw up. i try not to it yucks me.

i am looking forward to be skinny.

i wanna go shop for winter clothes in normalm sizes.

benn walkin around in maternity since my daugthers birth 11 month ago.

i've been dreaming for the longest, how i'm gonna look and was soo exited. and now that its so close its all getting blurry.

you know what i mean?

BTW i'm so happy and thankfull that i have this board.

good luck to all us bandsters!

PBing and sliming are not like regular throwing up--that yuks me out too. Once I had my first PB episode, thankfully at home, I learned it isn't the same as throwing up. I also learned what not to eat and that when you get the soft singnal of full don't go for that last bite. Even if there is only one cracker left in the box, wrap it or toss it cause you are not going to keep it down anyway!

The port pain is usually just a quiet quick reminder that it is there, sometimes a waistband overlaps it, and a wrong twist will cause a quick pain. Or being seated weird will trigger, but it isn't constant or anything.

I'm a slow loser so I lose about a pound a week. You will be faster most likely as you are much younger.

Weight loss depends on many things. Age, diet, how long you have been overweight, exercise, restriction from swelling after surgery, amount of fill, amount of liquids you take in, sodium intake, general health, menstrual cycle, and, I think sometimes, just the direction the wind blows that day LOL.

I started at 225 pounds on surgery day. I did a 4 week preop and lost 23 pounds before surgery. I am almost 14 weeks out and have now lost 31.2 pounds since surgery which is 2.3 pounds per week.

The average is 1-2 pounds per week. I was lucky that I had restriction after surgery from swelling and still have restriction with only 3.0cc of fill in my band.

Everyone is different. The important thing is to focus on what you have control over - what you eat, when you eat, whether you eat your Protein first and eat all the Protein your surgeon wants you to get in, whether you get all your Water in, if you excercise, etc. Set your goals in those areas, not in how much you lose, as you really do not have direct control over that. For example, set goals like eating 60 grams of protein, getting 64 ounces of Water, eating on schedule, not snacking, walking 30 minutes and the weight will come off.

I have only vomited twice since getting my band. Both times, I was off schedule and ate too fast. It was one or two heaves and relief - not like having the flu and continuing to heave. I learned I have to chew more and go slower.

The band has made an incredible difference for me in how hungry I am, so sticking to my goals for intake, water and protein have been easier than regular dieting (not easy, though). Exercise has been tougher for me but as I am losing, it is getting better.

I really think it helped to do the preop diet (although my surgeon did not require anything except two days of liquids). I had gotten my appetite under control, was used to smaller portions and I was psychologically ready for the band when I had my surgery. My surgery was very easy since my liver was smaller and I recovered easier.

Please keep in mind that the first 4-6 weeks you are in healing mode - not weight loss mode. If you happen to lose weight it is a bonus. Until you have some restiction, often 3-5 fills, you will be dieting like with out the band. That is "Bandster Hell". It is worse for some than others. You have to use a lot of will power during that time.

I love the metaphor another bandster used. She said, it is like buying an expensive sports car. You just can't wait until you can get in it and drive really fast and see how it performs. But if it does not have any gas in it, it will not work. You have to put gas in it and it will work like it is supposed to. With the band, that gas is fills. Each person is different. I have some restiction at 3.0cc. Some people don't feel restiction until 7cc or 8cc or even more. You just will not see full performance until you get restriction, so be patient.

Being unsure is totally normal. I was convinced I would be the one that the band would not work for. What I found out is that the band does not work, I have to work the band. When I do my part, it is a wonderful help to me, but it does not work alone.

Keep reading, asking questions, and exressing your fears, concerns and doubts. It is normal.

Good luck to you!

I love my band!

I lost very little on the preop diet ---and my doctor started me on pureed Proteins a few days after surgery, so I didn't have a postop liquid diet.

Still, I've lost about 65 pounds in less than 6 months--only having had restriction for the last couple.

The trick is eating as though you have restriction even when you don't, yet.

as soon as i'm skinny i want to become pregnant again.
Are you aware that most doctors are quite adamant that pregnancy be postponed for at least a year post-banding?

I lost very little on the preop diet ---and my doctor started me on pureed Proteins a few days after surgery, so I didn't have a postop liquid diet.

Still, I've lost about 65 pounds in less than 6 months--only having had restriction for the last couple.

The trick is eating as though you have restriction even when you don't, yet.

What were some of the pureed Proteins? ?? I am on pureed foods and could only come up with egg salad mushed.

BetsyB, I want to become pregnant as soon as I'm skinny.

I thought that's how i wrote it in my previous post.

i have over 100lbs. to loose, so it wot be overnight.

i'm aware of that.

Edited by feelfat
add something

I bet you will get to your goal within a year. You have age on your side and that helps tremendously. When I was your age, I could lose 2+ per week on Weight Watchers. Now, I can hardly lose anything on WW and have to be starving all the time (hence the band). You are lucky to be getting it so young because your skin will snap back too. Just follow the rules, exercise, and don't stress about the rest.

My port really doesn't bother me. I even do a lot of crunches and ab exercises and although I am aware of it, it doesn't bother me. And, even if it is annoying to you during pregnancy, just remember that is only 9 months out of your life. The band will help you so much that it will be worth it.

As for PBing, it is a lot different from throwing up. I am also one that has never been a puker. It just grosses me out so much. Now, I do occasionally PB, but its really not gross to me. I can always keep it down if I have to, but when you're stuck, it does hurt and you do want it out. I just excuse myself to the bathroom, force myself to cough, it comes up, and instant relief. There is not stomach acid so it tastes the same coming up as it did going down.

Best of luck to you!

I think how much you lose and how quickly really depends on how determined you are to lose the weight. For many it comes off easily during the pre-op stage, and sometimes right after surgery. But that does slow down, so be prepared for that.

I'm 19 and I've been banded for 2 months, and I've lost 45lbs, about 15 pre-op I believe. In any case, the weight loss is in your court. Get your fills (IF necessary), eat right, exercise, and the scale will show you what you want to see.