Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are we doing this?

Well.. I have 3 main reasons:

1) Cosmetic reasons... hell I want to look good and not think of myself as the chubby friend. I want to go on hot dates and be proud of myself instead of hiding away in black. I want my children to be proud of me and I can chase after them and play games with them without them being embarassed bout their tubby mama.

2) I want to be able to ride horses without breaking their backs, o on funfair rides without worry the machine will break down, go Parachuting without being over the weight limit, go on a hot air balloon without fear of the balloon not rising, go in an elevator with other people and not go over the recommended weight so the doors don't shut and everyone knows you are the biggest.

3) I want to be able to buy clothes from a regular store... hate fat peoples shops. they only sell clothes my grandma would wear if she was alive... I am still only young (ish) and want to wear modern clothes and dresses and shorts and vest tops without always being concerned if I am showing a ripple of skin.

What are your reasons??:)

1.) To be healthy. Being as heavy as I was at 19 isn't healthy, and even though I didn't have severe health problems, I'm sure I was getting there. But 45lbs lighter I'm healthier feeling both physically and mentally.

2.) Comfort. I don't feel very comfortable carrying around 100lbs+ of extra weight. It sucks, and even dumb things such as going to the mall really makes me uncomfortable. The weight is coming off and I see myself feeling much better personally.

3.) I LOVE rollercoasters, though I always aimed for the middle of them because that's where the "heavier" people can fit. I never had a problem fitting, but it will be nice to go on and be able to sit where I want and not have to worry about a thing.

4.) Looks wise. Of course, at 19 going on 20 I wanna be able to look good and feel good too. I'm already down to a size L/XL in most clothing and down 2 pants sizes, so I'm getting there.

Looks, yes. I want to feel comfortable in crowds again. Not worry if the airplane seatbelt will buckle. Fit into old theater seats. Buy clothes at a regular store!!!

Mostly though, we want to have a baby. Too risky to do so heavy. And I don't want to be a fat mom who can't play on the floor or run around outside with their kids...

There are lots of reasons to do this... top on my list is I just don't want to live the way I do anymore.

#2 It's a lot less expensive to be healthy in life than to continue on the road I'm on, and pay co-pays and deductibles to maintain a life that isn't healthy.

# 3 I want to be proud of who I am. Comfortable in my body. I don't want to be judged immediately for being obese by everyone around me. Yes I got here by some choices I made previously, but that doesn't define who I am and how I deserve to be treated!

# 4 I want my Mom to be proud of me too, and I want to live longer than she did, and longer than her Mom did. Being obese increases the risk of developing cancer, on top of all the other medical pitfalls I face. Cancer runs hard and fast through my family - I want to try to beat it ahead of schedule. I want to be in a decent shape to fight it if cancer happens to me.

#5 Being active! Running, cycling, camping, hiking, skiing, playing some ball with my friends - I'm tired of sitting on the sidelines! I want to live my life, not just watch it go by!

Being able to conquer this will allow me to live my life by the rules that I want to live it by, and will allow me to love myself more. I feel like right now, I'm trapped by this body and everything I've tried previously to lose failed. To me, this isn't a matter of just making things better - it's a matter of life and death, because if I stayed on the other road I would certainly perish. I'm choosing life, because not everyone gets the choice, but I do.

All the replies have been amazing and I am so glad that you shared them. It's inspirational reading what people put on the forums and I will be on here quite alot in the coming months while I go through this adventure and share it with everyone going through the same.

Thank you for sharing your intimate thoughts, they are really appreciated and hope it helps you too by voicing your desires.:)

I want to be the me I was in the past, active, and free. Like others I am sick of the way that I look. I have very little confidence and my self esteem is in the toilet, I have hardly any friends and feel depressed a lot due to these things. Honestly I am not entirely sure being thinner will help my social life and confidence, but it sure as hell isn't going to hurt.

I am going to California at the end of August and as excited as I am about the trip, I am dreading the plane ride over. I know my butt does not fit in the seat (as I flew last year and my butt was a little smaller). I am trying to plan my flight with the least amount of people on it so I won't have anyone sitting next to me so I can leave the armrest up. Now if that doesn't make me totally depressed and upset with myself, yeah.

Jess,

Don't get down on yourself about the airplane seat. Remember that the seat is going to be just a few hours of your journey. Just look beyond that and enjoy the trip! I hope you have lots of fun! :)

Well.. I have 3 main reasons:

1) Cosmetic reasons... hell I want to look good and not think of myself as the chubby friend. I want to go on hot dates and be proud of myself instead of hiding away in black. I want my children to be proud of me and I can chase after them and play games with them without them being embarassed bout their tubby mama.

2) I want to be able to ride horses without breaking their backs, o on funfair rides without worry the machine will break down, go Parachuting without being over the weight limit, go on a hot air balloon without fear of the balloon not rising, go in an elevator with other people and not go over the recommended weight so the doors don't shut and everyone knows you are the biggest.

3) I want to be able to buy clothes from a regular store... hate fat peoples shops. they only sell clothes my grandma would wear if she was alive... I am still only young (ish) and want to wear modern clothes and dresses and shorts and vest tops without always being concerned if I am showing a ripple of skin.

What are your reasons??:)

Great post...

1> I want to live longer and don't want my kids to have to grow up without a mother.

2> I want to be proud of myself, and I want others to be proud of me also. Not just looked at as the fat, unhappy person that attends functions. And ok, all of the attention is great!!!

3> I want to stay out of the 'fat people' section in the store because as state before there are only styles that a grandmother would wear. I am happy to say that I do shop in the regular sizes but I still want to wear a pair of skinny jeans.

4> I want to feel sexy!!! And I want to have some respect for myself.

First and foremost, I want to be healthy. I don't want to be tired all the time, or have my joints hurt all the time. I don't want to worry about all the health risks that come with being big. Not getting winded after a short walk, being able to excercise and not feel like there's a elephant sitting on my chest.

Then of course there's the vanity part of it. Not being the fat chick in the group would be great. Shopping for real clothes has me pretty excited.

To be healthy, and alive to enjoy my Husband, Children and first Grandson for a LONG LONG time... I look forwarad to being able to run and laugh with my Grandson as often as he wants!

Jess,

Don't get down on yourself about the airplane seat. Remember that the seat is going to be just a few hours of your journey. Just look beyond that and enjoy the trip! I hope you have lots of fun! :confused:

Thanks, I am a little worried, but not overly so. I plan to have a fantastic time on the trip. Hanging with friends and going to Universal Studios Hollywood.