Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

to band or not to band.....

Hi!

We're about the same age and I was where you are about 2 yrs ago. I talked myself out of it then with the same mentality: "I CAN do this on my own. I WILL walk. I will exercise daily (I spent $600 on an Elliptical). I will etc etc... Ya, that gung-ho attitude lasted for about a month and then it was back to where I was, plus about 20lbs in about 4mo following.

When I had my second child, I decided enough was enough. I could not do this on my own. The weight I would lose would be great, but it would ALWAYS come back and bring its friends. I knew it was time when I became aware of all the signs in my life that were shouting at me to go for it. An aqaintance (sp?) had it done and looked great after about 6mo. A billboard for my doctor was put up right by my work. I stumbled across this board on accident while doing a Google search for something totally unrelated, etc etc... It was then that I made the call. I started the process in April, for real this time. I'm now two weeks out of surgery and even though I may P&M about the discomfort/change to my body....deep down I know I made the right choice.

I NEED to be around for my kids. I need to not have a heart attack at 40 (or God forbid sooner). It was as simple as that.

Like others have posted before me, only you will know when and IF the decision is right for you. Once you decide, it will be a relief to know you're making a huge sacrifice for the goal of good health. Really, think of the sacrifice to your health if you DON'T do anything about it. Know what I mean?!

Best of luck to you for whatever you decide!

but it would ALWAYS come back and bring its friends.

HA! :grouphug::lol::lol::lol: That is the funniest way I have heard it described.

I felt the same way and then I saw Dr. George Fielding speak at NYU Langone. The way he broke down the whole issue - it just made complete sense to me. If you go to his website, you can see a clip on the topic. I have my surgery in 2 weeks!

I felt like this too when I was deciding to have surgery until I went to Dr. Fieldings seminar also and that cinched it for me.

He made the point that only 1 in 50 people will be able to lose 20 lbs and keep it off and that is with every help available to them.

I know I can lose weight the "traditional way" I've been on every diet and I have lost weight. On my last diet I lost 50lbs but I have gained back 60 and I feel terrible.

I decided on surgery so that I can for once lose the weight and have a very good chance of keeping it off if I do my part.

I want to live my life and get off this yo-yo rollercoaster .

I'm not sure this is relevant, but one of my reasons for wanting the surgery so badly is the amount of food I eat. My body never gets a break from being a food processing machine. Even while doing traditional dieting, like WW, I am obsessed with eating and feel hungry all the time. I make my WW meals as big and as filling as possible, and basically plan my day around what I can eat and when and how much.

I even think ahead (usually) and eat something before going to parties, etc., so I won't make a public pig of myself. It boggles my mind seeing people - usually thin, or "normal" - ignore mounds of yummy appetizers in front of them. Meanwhile for me, it's all I am thinking about. MMM onion rings! Wow, are those nachos going to waste there? etc.

You might be able to lose and keep it off, but I have tried and failed for years. I need help. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Edited by Sooz

Thank You for all the replies!:biggrin:

I have decided not to band for the time being. I started a lifestyle change with better food and exercise last week and have already dropped 10 lbs.

I currently have no issues keeping up with the exercise and I am even okay with the Portion Control.< /p>

in three months I will re-visit where I am and decide if I need to reconsider the band again.

Again, Thank you all for the replies, I wish you all best of luck on your individual journeys. :)