Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Increased exercise and weight gain

Does anyone know if you can actually gain weight when you start increasing your cardio activity. Last week I really amped up my exercise, went from basically nothing one week to 2 times at the gym the following week, then the week after went to the gym 4 times, walked the dogs a bit and started back on Wii fit.

My weight is up a couple pounds and I am getting really upset by it and I do WW and I have been staying within my points, so I know I am not overeating. I also thought maybe Water retention, from working out and it being so hot out recently so I upped my water intake, but nothing.

The only otpions I see is wait it out and see what happens or actually eat some more, I have heard that you may need to eat more points when you work out. What do you guys think?

I need advice and opinions on this. TIA

Do NOT let a little weight gain frustrate you. Your weight will fluctuate both ways when you change up your routine.

How much Water are you consuming? If you are not getting enough, your body will start retaining Fluid.< /p>

How much Protein are you getting? You should be eating at least 50 grams of protein a day. That is the fuel that keeps you metabolism burning.

WW points make sure you keep calories, carbs and fat low but they don't help on protein.

Well yesterday I drank about about 20 cups. Usually I drink about anywhere from 12-16 cups, or more. I've recently tried to up my Protein intake, not sure on the grams, but I had about 4 ox chicken (with vegetables) for lunch yesterday and about 5 oz of lean hamburger for dinner on a sandwich thin and veggies, plus 1/2 cup egg beaters for Breakfast. I need more high protein meal ideas. I was told to try to decrease the carbs, but I am finding it hard to do it.

That sounds like a good idea, I have never tried the greek yougurt though/ Maybe I should try to drink a Protein Shake?

When I exercise the next day I am up a pound or two, it has to do with the lactic acid (I think that is what its called, bit it might be a different acid.) that is generated in your muscles when you exercise, it makes you retain Water for a couple of days but it is temporary.

By the way, I never consider less than 3 pounds a gain. If it is 3 pounds or less, I just say "Oh thats water" and go on about my business and the weight will be gone in a day or two. If its 4 pounds or more then I consider it a gain and start trying to tweak something.

Exercise = long term results! :)

ETA- I use string cheese, greek yogurt and EAS carbadvantage shakes to meet my daily Protein goals.

Edited by LeighaMason
add info about protein

If you exercise you increase your muscle mass and reduce fat. Muscle is heavier than fat. I am not saying that that's what's going on with you, just stating a fact.

No, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat! A pound is a pound. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat though. If you have more muscle and less fat than another person of the same height, you will be smaller but heavier.

You also do not gain anything appreciable muscle wise from a couple of exercise sessions. For a woman, its a long hard slog to gain muscle, and gaining a couple of pounds of muscle over a period of months is really good going.

When you suddenly increase exercise you damage your muscles and they retain Water, you gain a pound or two.

I am hoping that is all it is. I am only doing cardio, no weights, so I should not be building any muscle. Thank you