Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

24 Hours of Vomitting Slime

Hi Bandsters...

I was banded 8th March 2010, first fill at 3 weeks, second fill at 7 weeks - doctor doesn't tell me how much so can't comment on that. I am about 18kg down!

No issues to date with anything - it has all been smooth sailing, a few discomforting "stuck" moments since my second fill but it usually passes and I can keep eating. I am fairly thorough with my chewing etc.

Until a few days ago I was boasting in fact that I had never had to PB - lucky me!!

This week I came down with a cold, first I have had in over a year - feeling generally lousy and found because of that I have been eating more than usual and probably not thinking as much about what I am doing. Yesterday at lunch time I had left over chinese food, which went down fine, but silly me decided to "pick" at it about an hour later and from that moment I knew I had done the wrong thing.

I instantly felt stuck and for an hour tried to ignore it (dreading my first PB) but then succumbed. I retched and retched and retched only to bring up Fluid and no chinese :thumbup:

About 20 minutes later I had another go and managed to puke up a large quantity of the lovely "slime" that I have now learnt all about. Still no actual food.

Throughout the evening everything I tried to eat / drink caused me chest & back pain and slimey vomits - even a couple small sips of semi melted icecream & chicken broth.< /p>

This morning I woke feeling better but only until I tried to have Breakfast. Even a sip of milk with a zantac sent me running for the loo within 5 minutes. I have tried some Water, ginger tea & Soup this afternoon and managed only a few sips of each and spent the next 20 minutes after each pacing the living room trying to burp. Burping relieves me for about two minutes. I have a headache and have even tried sucking on a lozenge just to get some kind of sugar in....it made my chest ache. I haven't consumed anything more than a couple of spoonfuls of liquid in over 24 hours.

My surgeon is out of town at the moment. I am in so much discomfort hoping someone might have some idea of what to do?

The worst part - I'm frikken starving!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try sucking on crushed ice, it can help to reduce the swelling.Once you are able to keep that down then progress to drinking water/clear liquids.Hydration is the most important thing. if you are unable to get any liquid in soon then you need to get some help. If you call your surgeons rooms it is likely that someone there can do an unfill if necessary - it is not normally only the surgeon that does this.

I instantly felt stuck and for an hour tried to ignore it (dreading my first PB)

I have heard lots of people say this and it is something I don't understand.I would far rather PB/regurgitate/bring the offending item up if I can than be stuck , in pain and miserable.It is so much easier and gives far quicker relief.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hi Elcee -

I saw in another thread that someone had mentioned ice, unfortunately I don't have any in the house but I do have some icey-poles so I had a go at one of those....managed to get about a third of the way through it over the space of 45 minutes...

Since then I have gotten down one soluble panadeine and am attempting a second...Also about to make a cup of peppermint tea which I am hoping adds some relief.

At my Surgeons rooms he is the only one there, he doesn't have a "stand in" for when he is away in fact the answering machine at the clinic says we are not here so too bad basically. If I get desperate in the next 12 hours I am going to take myself to the ER.

Thankfully I haven't spewed again since this morning but have had a few moments of feeling dicey, I know if I tried to eat something I would definitely bring it up. At the moment its awful because I have the hunger pains that make you feel sick too!

As for the PB... I guess it is the fear of the unknown, its like the way I dreaded my first fill until I realised it is relatively painless. After my first slime spew yesterday I did actually realise it is not so bad, in fact I have had a lot of practice the last 24 hours....I just wish I didn't have all the agony and what not going on with it!

Thanks for your reply - feeling a bit desperate and miserable at the moment!

Lauren:blushing:

Take if from your fellow bandit here who 3 days ago had to get 2 liters of IV fluids and an emergency unfill...if this isn't improving in a few hours you need help. There should be someone on call for your physician with him being out of town. If you cannot keep down small sips of Water, ice chips, and/or saliva there is an obstruction, could be food, could be that you just irritated your stomach and your itty bitty stoma swelled closed. Either way, a few hours of no fluids and it's time to get assistance. If you stop peeing or start getting dizzy, light headed, etc, head to the ER, you're probably getting dehydrated. Good luck!

Hi Christie -

Thanks for this.

Unfortunately my doctor must be the only doctor that does not have a stand in when he goes away. ER it will have to be.

I have managed very very small sips of fluids, still causes some discomfort but they are going down.

I am just going to see how I go over night and if I am still suffering by morning I will head in to the Hospital.

It did concern me that for all the PBs I did yesterday I didn't bring up the offending piece of meat...I hope its not wedged in my band :thumbup: I didn't think it would be possible for something to stay stuck that long - wouldn't the stomach acid break it down eventually??

Thanks for the advice - good to hear from people who have had similar experience. My sister has a band but has not had this kind of complication so she didn't know what I should do!

Lauren :thumbup:

The slime is just mucous. You need to be taking in fluids galore. Drink, drink, drink, and the mucous will thin out. Also, your stomach is definitely swollen now from something getting "stuck". DON'T try to eat for a whole day. Just keep taking in fluids. Let the swelling go down, and try to eat soft foods tomorrow.

it sounds like you should head to the ER and by ambulence, I wouldn't try to drive--what if you pass out? and what is PB?

Just want to add, stick to COLD clear fluids until you know the swelling is down. Anything hot or warm will make it worse.

No the item won't be broken down by stomach acid as there is none there. The acid is lower down in the "normal" stomach". The stuck item if it is still there will be sitting wedged in the stoma between the 2 stomachs.

Your surgeon should have a number for you to contact in emergencys. Where are you - I imagine somewhere outside of the US as you gave your loss in KGs and not lbs! If you can't get Water down you will have to go to emergency as you will become dehydrated.

Hope its getting better already.

So.... what happened?? I did my 2nd fill yesterday at 4pm. I sipped Water for the doctor, had a small strawberry shake on the way home. All good. I had some brocolli Soup about 8pm... didn't feel good going down, so I only had about 1/2 a can. Today has been nothing but vomit after vomit. Slime & tuna, slime & cheese, slime & cracker. I think I kept down 8oz. of hot apple cider.... I fell asleep after I drank it. I'm trying not to freak out. Tomorrow I am leaving for a two day business trip with a woman who does not know about my surgery. We're sharing a room... I don't want her to know.... but the airplane vomit bag in my purse might be hard to explain. ugh! Why do these things only happen on a weekend and/or when I am going out of town??!!

dawn, the first stime you eat something and the vomit/slime you should stick to clear fluids for 24 the 48 hours. you are just going to make the situation worse and worse. hope you feel better this weekend!

My doctor had me come in tonight and removed 1cc of Fluid from my band. I would have continued to try liquids only for another 24 hours if I wasn't leaving town, but I had only managed to keep down about 4oz. of fluid on Saturday. I didn't want to risk being gone for 3 days to a seminar and not keeping down liquids.

*So I'm at 3cc and feeling much better. I'm doing liquids only until tomorrow, but I can already tell a difference when I drink. :) I am sure there is still swelling from all of the vomiting today, so tomorrow will be soft foods or liquids. I hope to go back in 2 weeks and put the other 1cc back in. *I asked for "a double" or 4cc when I went to my fill on Friday. So glad she didn't do it!