Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon agrees today to do port revision surgery

I was banded on 4/15 and had problems immediately related to my port. It sticks way out, rubs on a rib and causes a great deal of discomfort when I exercise or even bend over. It actually throbs when I exercise. Very weird. Anyway, I've been complaining since about 4 days post-op and just had what must have been my 5th or 6th follow-up appointment in the past 12 weeks. Up to now my surgeon kept asking me to be patient and wait it out suggesting that once I lost enough weight it would move/settle and the pain would dissipate. He said that all that was available was another surgery and he didn't want to go that route.

Today I informed my surgeon that I wanted to do something since it bothers me so much. Also told him that in all likelihood I will not have insurance that covers anything that is WLS-related after the first of next year. He agreed - for the most part. He said that he'd have his office staff pursue getting pre-approval from my insurance for port revision surgery, but is confident that by the time it comes around to do the surgery I won't feel the need any longer. I get the feeling that he just doesn't want to admit to placing it in a bad spot.

Anyway, I feel a huge sense of relief knowing that correcting this problem is finally in the works. Who has had port revision surgery? I'm told that recovery is much quicker than for WLS. Any experience out there?

TIA.

I do not have any experience to share....heck I don't even have a band yet. Just wanted to let you know that I am glad that you finally got your doctor to see your point of view. Afterall, the port is bothering you, so it should be fixed!

Good Luck! Keep us posted!

Thank you for your kind thoughts Jane and good luck with your own surgery when you have it.

I had a port revision last week. They put in a low profile port, you may need to ask about that type. My first port was on my side. I didn't want it on my abdominal muscles because of the pain doing sit-ups. However, once I had lost weight it stuck out like some tumor. It was awful, embarrassing and just downright gross. In the meantime the tubing came disconnected from the port and they decided to do a port revision. I now have a low profile port in the same spot on my right side. I hope your request will go through. I've heard of some women having theirs put above their breast toward their armpit to avoid the ugly tumor once they've lost their weight.

Thank you Sandy. Your point about it getting worse after significant weight loss are the same that I've been trying to use on my doctor. It's so bad now and was immediately after surgery. I can't even imagine how bad it would be once I lost more weight than I have so far. He keeps telling me that after I lose more it will 'adjust itself' but I'm not buying that at this point.

My port revision surgery has been approved by insurance and is scheduled for next week. I have to have an EKG and blood work done as well as get a 'readiness for surgery' pronouncement from my PCP. Also have to do a 3-day liquid diet prior to surgery.

I have an appointment with the surgeon for the day prior to surgery to find out what my options are for port placement. I'm told that I should be back to work within a few days and that it's a pretty minor outpatient surgery.

What I really need is a fill though as I've been stuck at the same weight for weeks now. Not sure when I'll be able to get my first after the revision.

Would appreciate comments/advice from anybody who's gone through this previously.

my port also sticks out. my doctor say he can place it in the muscle.

Does yours cause discomfort Amy?

Mine is actually stitched to muscle and I believe that's why it causes me such discomfort when I exercise or otherwise exert myself physically. It just throbs then. Also painful bending over.

I met with my surgeon today concerning tomorrow's port revision. I was kind of disappointed to find that I don't really have any options relative to a low profile port or choosing a location. He told me that the only option is to open me up at the large incision spot above the port and to then detach the port from the muscle at the current location. He'll then move it down a bit below the current placement in the same general location. He made it sound very simple.

He also made kind of a big deal of the fact that I'm the only port revision he's ever had to do in over 500 surgeries. I wasn't about to feel guilty for requesting this or complaining about the port from day #1 though.

I also found out that it will be a while until I can get another fill after the revision surgery. No idea as to how long at this point.

Wish me luck please.

Katy

I do wish you luck, but I don't understand what the problem is in switching you to a low profile port....any way you can get a second opinion?

Mimi

Thank you Mimi. I made it through port revision surgery yesterday and other than the discomfort from the incision I'm in pretty good shape. Very gassy, major diarrhea and retaining lots of fluids that I attribute to the procedure. I did find out from the hospital's bariatric coordinator that low profile ports aren't available yet for the 14cc bands that are the hospital's standard for use. I'm anxious for the swelling to go down to see if this makes the difference that I hope.

I do wish you luck, but I don't understand what the problem is in switching you to a low profile port....any way you can get a second opinion?

Mimi

I am glad the surgery is over for you. I had port revision surgery also. My port had a leak from the start. My doctor was very nice and said I didn't do anything it was just a defective port. (Although he didn't believe me until 7 months later that there was a problem.) I lost that first 50 myself.

He did put a 5cc fill in a surgery and said he would do a fill every two weeks. That is the program we are on.

I think your doctor is just being a little ornery. But, just my opinion.

I just had the regular port put back in. I didn't have any other options for a low profile port.

Thank you Pickles and Mimi. I think my surgeon is a bit ornery too. He's good though at what he does so I'm willing to overlook the lack of bedside manner for the most part. Fortunately, his support staff is superb. Will report back once this swelling and Water retention ceases and I have a better idea of what impact the revision has had.

I think a lot of surgeons have that personality. That is why they do better with people who are asleep. LOL

I am glad he has a great support staff.

Keep us posted.

im happy everything went well. My port hurts once in a while if i bend wrong. But its good to know that its uncomfortable if its placed in the muscle. ive learned to accept the lil bump for now cause im so happy with the new me. ive lost 56lbs. in 8 months. i have 20 more to go and im done.. but i know that eventually i will have to get my port repositioned. im on a 14cc band. and from what i hear is that there is no low profile port for the 14cc bands available yet. im hoping that by the time of my revision it will be available. i have a Tummy Tuck and do not have that much to work with in my tummy that is another reason why my sticks out so much.