Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had my psych eval today..

I passed it with flying colors. The psych doctor said he will write me a great letter to send in to my insurance company. He definitely thinks that I'm a great candidate for Lap Band and he's happy that I've made the decision to get it:)

I was also supposed to have my dietary consult but here's what happened: My surgeon only uses one specific hospital. That hospital called ME and scheduled the appointemnt. They called yesterday to remind me of the appointment then called again at 9:30 this morning to say that my insurance won't cover it. She said If I pay up front they would do it for $125. I said fine. She said okay your appointment is at 11 so be here by 10:30. I got there at 10:30 they filled out my papers and took my money then sent me to the lobby to wait. At 11:15..YES 45 minutes later....they informed me that they had made a mistake and there wasn't a dietician in the hospital today so I would have to reschedule. I was so mad. I thought it was very unprofessional of them to make me pay upfront and not even check to see if the lady was there first. I demanded a refund. I told them I would repay them when I actually get to see a dietician:(

The psych doctor said the main point of the psych exam is just to weed out the Bi Polar patients. Depression is fine and anxiety is fine as long as you aren't Bi polar.

I would call your insurance company and confirm coverage of dietary meetings. My insurance covers Medically neccessary meetings with dieticians yet my dietician bills keep getting denied. Grrrrrrrr. So call them and say that the dietician meetings are required for the Lap Band approval process. If they cover the surgery they should approve the dietician meeting.

I actually had my psych eval as well today. Did not go as bad as I thought. Asked a bunch of questions and then filled out a a few sheets of how I've been feeling. My guy too said it was just to weed out people who are severely depressed and who they don't feel would be able to cope with the surgery. He did not give me any results, but said he'd mail them to me, my PCP and surgeon.

About your nutrition appointment, that is totally unprofessional. They should have told you prior to your appointment that one would not be there. My insurance does not cover the nutritionist as well and when I called up they said they require 3 appoiuntments, 2 before surgery and one after. They said they are usually $164 each, but they bundle the 3 appointments together and are $164 total. So that is doable.

I had my psych eval yesterday. It was different then I expected, but it went very well. I took 3 hours worth of tests and then had a 45 minute interview. The Phd that my surgeon's office referred me to was very nice!

I can not wait to share in your journey's!

The psych doctor said the main point of the psych exam is just to weed out the Bi Polar patients. Depression is fine and anxiety is fine as long as you aren't Bi polar.

That's weird -- I have bipolar Disorder. I have even been hospitalized in the past. I am stable now and under a doctor's care. Both my surgeon and the guy who did my psych eval were not really concerned. I did have to have a letter of support from my psych doc, but that was all that was said about it. Did the psych doctor elaborate on why people with bipolar shouldn't have the surgery? Just curious!

He said it was because when a Bi Polar goes Manic they usually get non compliant and eat things they shouldn't which in turn messes with the band.

Okay -- that makes a little sense to me. It at least explains why they didn't consider my bipolar a problem -- because I'm stable. Thanks for answering me!