Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banded 6/30,my story, doing really good

Hi, good to hear from you, it sounds like your dr. is much more conservative than mine is on moving along, since I have no prior experience with this I couldn't say which is better, I assume it is different for each person what they can tolerate or not. I have eaten chicken several times now, with almost no problems, I just chew it a lot until it is totally disintegrated, if I happen to find a lump if gristle or something in it I spit that part out, I don't want to risk an actual blockage. I have also had a hot dog twice now, the first time I ate it with out the bun, but the next time I decided to go ahead and try the bun, since I was hungry and away from home, I ended up only eating half the bun though, because I started feeling really full before I was done. and I ate some home made meat loaf with mashed potatoes and gravy, again I just chewed and chewed. Last night I was the only one home for dinner, so I made a lean cuisine spinach & mushroom pizza, I was a bit worried about the crust, because I know breads are hard for a lot of people, but with lots of chewing things went just fine. I have actually had more problems with Water lately than anything, I know we are not suppose to drink while eating but I thought that was because it would wash the food threw quicker, but I have found that if I try to drink while eating the Water can't go threw and sometimes it just comes back up, this has happened to me twice now, the first time it was actually the first time I ate chicken, I didn't chew a bite well enough and I felt a lump in my chest and I thought if I took a drink of water it would help to wash it on threw, well, I was wrong, because pretty quickly the water came right back up, luckily I was alone and able to spit it right out, I consider this pbing, because it was not throwing up, there was no heaving or food coming up, just the water. But the last time it happened the timing was awful. I was driving my car home from an overnight camping trip Saturday it was around 11 am and I hadn't eaten anything yet because I didn't feel like eating the granola bars my husband had packed and I was just going to pick-up something on my way home (my husband was camping for 3 days I just went up for Friday night). Well, I noticed he had left a bag of pretzels in my car so I decided to eat a few, since it would be another half hour before I got some where that I could bye food. The pretzels went down fine but they made me thirsty, so I started drinking water, I thought things were going ok, until all the sudden it came right back up everywhere, just the water Thank God, because I had almost no warning, I felt a bit like I needed to burp, so I stopped drinking, but I didn't burp, the water came up with force all over the place. Luckily I was driving on a quiet gravel road so I just pulled over and wiped the water off everything, at least I was alone, because otherwise it would have been so embarrassing. I swear more water came up than I thought I had drank, and because now the front of my shirt and shorts were all wet I couldn't stop for real food, and I had to just wait til I got all the way home an hour and a half later to eat anything. I think for now I probably shouldn't eat and drink while I am driving :) I think I will wait til I get back from my vacation to get my first fill, so it will be around Aug. 16. Let me know how yours goes! Pam

Hi Pam! Ok, your stories are giving me some confidence to try some other things. I will probably stay on the softer foods for a couple more days, and then maybe venture out and try some other stuff. Sorry about your car/water incident--oh my! I haven't had that happen yet...yikes! It's probably a good plan to wait til after your vaca to get a fill.

I've been wanting to try some pretzels and bread, just to see if it will go down. I did try some chicken last night and it was fine. I have a feeling once we get our first fill it may be more difficult to get some of this stuff down. I am having a hard time not drinking with my meals. I always feel thirsty, for some reason. I try to drink in between meals as much as possible.

Enjoy your vacation! Keep me updated. I'll let you know how the fill goes.

Susan

Hi Pam! Ok, your stories are giving me some confidence to try some other things. I will probably stay on the softer foods for a couple more days, and then maybe venture out and try some other stuff. Sorry about your car/water incident--oh my! I haven't had that happen yet...yikes! It's probably a good plan to wait til after your vaca to get a fill.

I've been wanting to try some pretzels and bread, just to see if it will go down. I did try some chicken last night and it was fine. I have a feeling once we get our first fill it may be more difficult to get some of this stuff down. I am having a hard time not drinking with my meals. I always feel thirsty, for some reason. I try to drink in between meals as much as possible.

Enjoy your vacation! Keep me updated. I'll let you know how the fill goes.

Susan

I agree, it will be harder to get some of these things down after a fill, especially bread that seems to be a common problem food, but what I have tried so far has worked fine, I just don't eat too much of it because it fills me up too fast, and it is high carb, which I am trying to stay away from pretty much. The not drinking has been hard for me, I knew it would be before I went into this, I even discussed it with my Dr. and he told me he had another patient that just never could adjust to the not drinking and he told her to do her best, and if she really felt that she had to then go ahead but keep it to a minimum, but during our discussion he indicated the reason not to drink was because it would wash the food threw the pouch faster and you wouldn't feel satisfied as long. So, in my mind I felt it would be ok to just drink a small amount for now, when I really felt I needed a drink and I would work on getting used to not drinking, I mean this is all a learning process right? Well, so far drinking while eating has not worked out very well, I told you about my two experiances, the one with the chicken and the time in the car, so I think maybe their is more than one reason not to drink while eating. It sort of makes it a little easier to say no. Now I just have to get better about drinking between meals, I'm not very good at that:unsure: Good luck as you slowly progress to other foods, keep me posted on how it goes! Pam