Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi I had been about 60kg for as long as I can remember, In June 2003 I had an accident which left me with permanent injuries. Since the accident I had also fallen pregnant and gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. The weight kept creeping up and over the years I found myself at 80kg range. I had gained around 20kg. I know to some people this would be an idealistic weight range to be in, but for me this was alot and as I had a back injury the extra 20kg made my pain worst. Like alot of you I have also tried every single diet, pill, lotions, potions, shakes out there with no luck. I ended up gaining more and more weight and a hefty dint in my pocket. I was fortunate in some way as I had 3 family members who had undergone a lap-band procedure in the past and I had seen the remarkable weight loss. So I saw my doctor and we decided that we should try the lap-band procedure. I know that I am not that big, but as I told my doctor I am gaining weight as time goes by, I wanted to do something about it now. I didn't want to wait until I have 50kg to lose before I have surgery. I knew that if I didn't do something quickly this is where I was heading.So I finally booked and underwent my surgery. Its now been 5 weeks and I have lost about 5kg. I have not had a fill yet but I am not eating much. I am also not loosing anymore weight. So I am going to weight for another two weeks and If I haven't lost anymore weight then I will go in for a fill. I have also had my port placed a few inches above my belly button. I am a bit surprised with this as everyone I have spoken to stated that they had their port to their left side. So this is something I sill ask my doctor next time I see him. I have also a lump or swelling around that region so I am hoping this will settle soon. Once more thing I am also suffering from pain in my left shoulder. So I would love to hear from others out there regarding this, as well as the positioning of the port. I am new to this forum so I hope I haven't bored you all with my story.

The hardest thing for me to learn was patience... it took a long time to put he weight on and it doesn't--and shouldn't--come off quickly. It will take some time to adjust to the band, but it is only a tool to assist you.

As far as your port, mine is on my left side as well because of earlier hernia surgery that had to be avoided. I don't even notice it any more. I did not have any non-surgical pain and the surgical pain really only lasted a few days and I was pretty much back to normal except for diet. Good luck!

My port is in approx the same position as yours. Above the bellybutton and maybe slightly to the left.I have no problems with it.

You haven't said exactly how much you are aiming to lose - if it is only 20kg you will probably lose it a bit slower than if you had 50kg to lose. The closer you are to goal weight the slower it gets.

I had my surgery in june last year and have been sitting at goal for a couple of months. I have lost a total of 22kg so very similar to what you are aiming for.

Congratulations on making a great decision and doing this whilst the excess weight was "minimal". I assume you must have paid yourself as in the US insurance doesn't cover you at this sort of level.

Hi, Yes it is only 20kg weight loss that I am aiming for. I too had a hernia surgery done whilst having the lap band. I just think I am getting a little impatient with the amount of weight loss. It feels like I am stuck on 75kg and have been like this for the last 3 weeks. Do you think that once I have a fill it might start to come off. I think the 5kg I lost came off during the initial Fluid stage.

I do get hungry every two hours or so, but seem to get full very quickly. Would it be the same way after a fill, I was told that once you get a fill and it is restricked that you just get stuck not really full. So I am worried about this.

I was lucky that my insurance and medicare covered most of the pill I was out of pocket around $3500 aud. Which is not much considering the amount I spent on diet pills and shakes.

Edited by banukiss

wow, congrats with your weight loss. I hope I can achieve my ideal weight loss. Was it hard and how many fills did you have. Sorry about all the questions I am new to this.

Ahh so you are another Aussie. Where do you live and who is your Dr?

Having fills does make a difference but you are unlikely to achieve perfect restriction with the first one. Australian Dr's typically fill slower than US ones as they believe that this way it causes less problems. My first fill was 1ml.I lost constantly since the op and could not say that having a fill made a huge difference to the weight loss - but it does make a difference to the hunger so that you can maintain the eating plan and continue to lose.You still have to do your part and make good choices and exercise. The stage you are at at the moment prior to a fill is not really intended for loss but for healing.

I know it can be frustrating when you appear to be losing slowly but you have to remember you didn't gain the weight overnight so it won't come off overnight either.

I lost 5kg in the month after surgery,3kg the month after that and then it averaged out at about 2kg a month.

Full is different after you are restricted. You feel it in your chest rather than your stomach! you may want to eat more food because it tastes good but you know that you can't because you will end up being uncomfortable and probably bringing it up.Stuck is different, that happens when you eat too quickly,don't chew properly or take too big a bite. It can also happen with certain foods that may not agree with your band.

I am in Shell Cove N.S.W just south of Sydney. My doctor is Dr Richie he is in Sydney. I am so glad I found this site. You have helped me understand this much more than anyone I have spoken to. I felt lost and was feeling all alone. If felt like anyone who I knew had this surgery had it so long ago was just telling me you get stuck, you vomit, you never get full, your always hungry. I just felt like they didn't want to support me and tried very hard to talk me out of it.

I am not a big food person, I just want to feel full earlier so I am not eating the whole plate. Thank you so much my email address is kissbybanua@hotmail.com if you send me a message I can send you my phone number and maybe if its ok with you I can ring you.