Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded last Tues. the 29th and sent home with strict dietary guidelines per my Dr. The first 2 weeks is strictly Clear Liquids, no milk,protein etc. I'm already dying here! The next 2 weeks will be full liquids with addition of creamed and blended Soups and sugarfree puddings, custards and Optifast Protein Drinks. Then we get to the Protein diet which will be eggs, cheese (all kinds), meats which includes any type of deli meat and green, leafy vegetables. Absolutely no bread, rice, Pasta, wraps oatmeal, ceral, yogurt, fruit of any kind, potatoes, TOMATOES?,BEANS?:) or sugar free puddings or custards or dairy. WTF??? Anyone else find this a little extreme? After my heart attack my cardiologist preferred me on a South Beach type diet instead of Atkins as he felt it was more heart friendly.:(

It does sound more restrictive than most surgeons require/recommend. However, it's really close to what my doctor recommends (though I am "allowed" legumes, and have been since the second month or so postoperatively)---and I've been really happy with my results.

Stomach space is finite, so I really don't find myself unsatisfied. And I also don't ever find my fat, saturated fat, or cholesterol intake being pushed into levels that would raise any cardiologist's antennae; when you can't eat more than a few ounces per meal, the risk just doesn't begin to approach the eat-all-you-like levels that can occur when Atkins is misused.

Ultimately, as I approach goal, my intake will be remarkably close to that recommended by South Beach. (My doctor has us add whole grain back in a bit later in our loss---when about 75 percent of our excess weight is lost.) I really believe that it's a really sound, healthy way to eat.

But for now, as I get adjusted to being ...well, adjusted...I'm doing just fine focusing on lean Proteins, a bit of cheese, nonstarchy veggies, some legumes, heart-healthy fats, and a bit of fruit.< /p>

It's really not a bad way to live :)

Even for die hard carbaholics like me, I found my carb intake dropped by probably 2/3 effortlessly and I've never missed it.

I used to the an advocate of the four serves of wholegrains a day, plenty of starchy fibrous veg and three serves of fruit a day. I was FAT. That would probably have more to do with the amount of sugar and fat I consumed on top of those healthy foods, but the overall balance was wrong.

Now I do eat wholegrains, cant function without a little, but its ONE serve of wholegrain Cereal or maybe a slice of bread in a day, usually only one piece of fruit too. The rest is lean Protein, vegetables and a few little treats (like a glass of wine) on top. I cant eat any more than that and I dont miss the foods I used to eat in abundance. I didnt even set out to go lower carb, it just happens naturally.

But what you're doing now, cold turkey and so extreme, that's really hard. I agree with your cardiologist, the South Beach approach is much gentler and probably healthier as well. I guess you've got to find out whether this is how your doctor wants you to eat forever, personally, although we've just had such a huge thread on breaking rules, I would do precisely what I'm told post op for the transition onto solids but after that, I wouldnt follow a way of eating so extreme, I'd not really limit fruit and things like tomatoes, I'd eat some wholegrains and I wouldnt freak over things like croutons in Soup.

And I just dont get the point in cutting out so called "unhealthy" foods and then loading up on Protein shakes full of artificial sweetener. That's just plain nuts, its swapping one poison for another.

I think you'll probably find your groove, but post surgery if you dont have restriction it will likely be one of the hardest things you've ever done, you just have to grit your teeth and get on with it and if you do slip, get right back on that wagon.