Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about non-adjustable gastric banding

Hey everyone. I had a quick question. I've been researching the lap band procedure for over a year now and think it would really help me with my constant fight against weight, my sleep apnea, my being a diabetic, etc. That being said, my folks are helping me out with the surgery bill seeing how our insurance said no off the bat and I'm rather kean on getting the surgery asap, due to my mounting health problems. (I'm six foot four and 315, have been as high as 360.) My parents are leaning towards me getting the non-adjustable procedure done with a Dr. Orias in Houston,TX. (I live in San Antonio.) From what I understand, with the non-adjustable band you are only allowed to drink four ounces of water/liquids at a time, or else you run the risk of stretching your pouch, your lower stomach touching your overstretched top "stomach", forming together, and evetually passing out the band. Is the same thing true with the adjustable lap band? As far as the Water intake is concerned? I am aware that you have more restriction with liquids when your fill is just so or tighter than before....but can you only have four ounces of water at a time? I fully intend to be dillgent with working out after my surgery to help speed along the weight loss, but ....4 ounces of water after a 45 to an hour workout seems odd...due to the huge chance of becoming dehydrated. Any responses or comments would be appreciated. Thanks. - Marc

I havent heard of a non adjustable band - but the adjustable band presumably gives you the perfect amount of restriction for you. Why would you go for a non adjustable one. Another benefit of the adjustable band is that if you get ill and you need extra nutrition then they can take some fill out and give you more room.

What if you had no adjustability and your band gave you reflux, heartburn and constant vomiting?

Think hard about it, its the flexibility, adjustability and even removeability of the lap band that make it such a safe procedure.

You are talking about the old Melina band.My husbands ex has had one for the last ten years.She seems to be doing ok. She is about a size 12-14. I heard they rust??????

When I talked to my doctor last week about the "erosion" issues on LBT, he mentioned he had removed two of the Melina bands, but had not had any problems with the Inmeds.

I too can't understand why anyone would choose a non-adjustable band over an adjustable one. There are just too many variables in the human body for a static band to be effective for everyone, so there's bound to be a higher incidence of complications.

As for drinking 4 ozs of Water at a time, that's not an instruction with lap-banding once you're healed. Of course, at different times chugging Water may be difficult or impossible to do, but once a swallow has gone down there's no reason not to take another one right away. (I'd think that would be true with a static band, too, though; I'm mystified why anyone would be told only 4 ozs. in an hour. It should only take a few minutes at most for water to pass through the stoma.)

The non adjustable band it just that. A band placed around your stomach with no way of altering the size of the band around the stomach. Personally I have had 6 fills and if I had the non adjustable band I would just be trying to diet to keep the band working. To me that defeats the purpose of the band.

There was one women in my support group that had the non adjustable band and her weight loss had stalled just a few months after her surgery. Her doctor was telling her to cut the amount of food that she was eating. If you are going to do that then you might as well do it on your own. You only have one shot at the band being placed and work for you. Some people loose fat around their stomach and when it begins to shrink then you have a loose band around your stomach.

Each person is different and I know some people that have lost 100 lbs with just 1 fill. But why take the chance if you do not have too?? I would re-consider the adjustable band so that you have the ability to keep the band working for you for years to come.

As for the Water. If the water goes thru the band easily then why would you have to limit it to 4 oz? Chugging may cause difficulty and that may be the reason to limit water intake at one sitting but if you take it easy you should be able to drink 64+ ozs a day easy. Water is the best way to flush your system and all of those unwanted pounds.

Good luck in your decision!