Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life After The Wieght Lost

Guest van8182

Guest van8182

I AM NEW TO THIS LAPBAND SURGERY . I AM THINKING ABOUT HAVING IT DONE. AND I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS CONCERNING IT AND FOUND THIS SITE. WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS WHAT HAPPENS AFTER YOU HAVE LOST ALL YOUR WEIGHT.

DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE ANOTHER SURGERY TO HAVE ALL THE EXTRA FAT REMOVED?

WHAT KINDS OF PROBLEMS ARE ANYONE HAVING, AFTER SURGERY,IF ANY?

WHAT OR HOW DO YOU FIGURE ON MEALS OR food INTAKE ON A DAILY BASES? DO YOU OR ARE YOU GIVEN A STRUCTURED PLAIN TO GO BY?

IS THERE A WEIGHT THAT THEY WON'T OPERATE ON ?

WELL THAT'S ENOUGH FOR NOW. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE, THAT COULD HELP. I AM KIND OF NERVOUS ABOUT HAVING THIS DONE. AND I DON'T KNOW ANYONE TO TALK TO ABOUT THIS.

Hi

There are alot more experienced ppl to reply to this, but I will tell you what I know from my experience.

That is optional. Whether or not you have loose skin after losing weight depends on the individual...how fast they lose it...how good their skin tone is...if they try and exercise and tighten as they lose and many more things. That being said I desperately need a Tummy Tuck and am seeing a PS in February 06.

WHAT KINDS OF PROBLEMS ARE ANYONE HAVING, AFTER SURGERY,IF ANY? This varies also, I have the big 10ml Vg band and have found it taking longer to get restriction, getting the band has also bought on reflux/heartburn...but as I have said before I would do it all again. I love my band!!!

WHAT OR HOW DO YOU FIGURE ON MEALS OR food INTAKE ON A DAILY BASES? DO YOU OR ARE YOU GIVEN A STRUCTURED PLAIN TO GO BY? This varies too, my Drs office plan is compulsory which involves seeing a dietician before surgery and then regularly after. She gives me plans to follow which I dont very often. I try and get my Protein in each day and my Water, other than that I dont stress too much about what I eat.

IS THERE A WEIGHT THAT THEY WON'T OPERATE ON ? I know we have ppl on both ends of the scales here, there are ppl at 190lbs and ppl that have been 500lbs plus, that is something you talk about with the Dr.

The band has changed my life, it has given me back some control over my life and food. I cant allow food to control me anymore, I just cant. I cant let it soothe me when I am upset or down. I can eat a certain amount and thats it. Look into all the options and decide what is best for you...but I went with banding as it is the least invasive and reversible.

Good Luck

hi newbie - if you do a search through the forums for any of these questions they have all been answered in depth at one point or another.

But since you are new I will address your questions -

1. Not everyone has to have plastic surgery to remove excess skin - it all depends on the individiual, how much weight you have to lose, whether you excercise, drink enough Water, don't smoke, eat right and age. Too many factors to x in on.

2. Problems include slippage, erosion, things getting stuck, acid refux. Again just start searching the forums and become familiar with this site - every question you have has been answered here, but feel free to ask if you can't find specifically what your looking for.

3. Your nutritional plan is decided by your dr and whether or not you need to see a nutritinoist - everyone's meal plans are different as they vary from dr. to dr. do some readin on here and you will find a variety of everyone's plans.

4. I don't know if there is any specific weight they won't operate on - they go by your BMI (body mass idex) and your health problems/concerns.

Again I encourage you to become familiar with this board and just start reading as much as you can here to learn everything you need good and bad.

Welcome :)

I haven't had the surgery, but I've been researching it for a very long time so here's my 2 cents.

No, the point of this surgery is to remove the extra fat - a large portion of it, anyway. Do you mean skin? If you mean skin, then no, you still don't have to have another surgery. Some people whose skin has remained stretched will opt to have plastic surgery to fix it, but it's not something anyone has to do.

WHAT KINDS OF PROBLEMS ARE ANYONE HAVING, AFTER SURGERY,IF ANY?

This is a very broad question. "Problems" can range from post-surgical complications to poor mental adaptation to the lifestyle & resulting changes, to relationship issues that come from the same. Is there something specific you're looking for?

WHAT OR HOW DO YOU FIGURE ON MEALS OR food INTAKE ON A DAILY BASES? DO YOU OR ARE YOU GIVEN A STRUCTURED PLAIN TO GO BY?

Yes, and no. Often pre- there is a prescribed diet, and post has very strict guidelines but not sctructured in the sense of "eat this and this at this time of day."

IS THERE A WEIGHT THAT THEY WON'T OPERATE ON ?

I don't know. Most surgeries have a weight threshold for the patients' safety, as well as the doctor's physical ability to perform the sugery. I would imagine this procedure isn't very different, but that's only my best guess.

WELL THAT'S ENOUGH FOR NOW. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE, THAT COULD HELP. I AM KIND OF NERVOUS ABOUT HAVING THIS DONE. AND I DON'T KNOW ANYONE TO TALK TO ABOUT THIS.

You're in the right place, but you might get more respones if you avoid the red caps... the whole netiquette thing. "Yelling" messages are often ignored.

Good luck! If you weren't nervous, that would be very abnormal. :)

Hi, I am 8 weeks post-op and here is what I know . . . or think I know for that matter. *laughter* First let me tell you I was 480 pounds 5'8" tall the day of my surgery.

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE ANOTHER SURGERY TO HAVE ALL THE EXTRA FAT REMOVED? </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Fat no, Skin yes, I have abused my body to the point that it will never recover from the streched out skin, one of my dearest friends who only had 120'ish pounds to loose with her band just had 16 pounds of skin and tissue removed from her mid-body lift. I will definitly have more surgeries to have excess skin removed. But this is DEFINITELY a personal choice.

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">WHAT OR HOW DO YOU FIGURE ON MEALS OR food INTAKE ON A DAILY BASES? DO YOU OR ARE YOU GIVEN A STRUCTURED PLAIN TO GO BY? </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</FONT></FONT></FONT>I had a very strict diet of specific types of food for 6-weeks post-op. Now I am on a non-restricted diet, which means I can consume anything I want, as long as my body will allow me too. And TRUST ME you will know without a doubt when you have eaten something that your body doesn't like, and that something is totally different for every single bander.

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">IS THERE A WEIGHT THAT THEY WON'T OPERATE ON ? </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</FONT></FONT></FONT>Being 480 pounds with a BMI of 80+ I had a hard time finding a surgeon that would place the band in me. I got excuses of "we don't know where we would put the port" "I just don't place bands in people as obese as you" "I'll have to poke the heck out of you to find the port and I just don't want to" and the list goes on. Finally I found a doc that was more then willing to and has succussfully placed my band.

Also I know for a fact that most will not place the band if you BMI is less then 30 -- because then you are actually underweight.

Quote:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">WELL THAT'S ENOUGH FOR NOW. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE, THAT COULD HELP. I AM KIND OF NERVOUS ABOUT HAVING THIS DONE. AND I DON'T KNOW ANYONE TO TALK TO ABOUT THIS. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This is a life changing decision!! I would never take my choice back ever!! Remember that alot of people on these boards are looking for help because they have a problem, so don't let only negative problems be a basis for your decision. Yes there are side effects and problems with any choice you make. However, I just think had I continued on my eating as I was, I would have cleared 500 pounds for Thanksgiving instead of celebrating being under 450 pounds!

You'll find that most of us talk, and will answer any questions but also remember that we can NEVER take the place of your doctor. Have no fear in rejecting doctors you don't like. I went to 3 .. . 4 . .. I can't remember before I found my surgeon. I knew what I was looking for and just kept going until I found him!

Thanks ~ Erica