Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have a surgery card?

After my surgery, my doctors gave me a wallet card that explains that I have a Lap-Band and my food intake is restricted.

Being a closet bandster, I really didn't think I would ever use the card. But while in Lake Tahoe on Thanksgiving Day, my husband really wanted turkey and the works, and there was a Thanksgiving buffet at our hotel.

I am really restricted right now and I don't have much interest in food these days, so I was not concerned about being in a buffet style restaurant. But there was no way I was going to pay $17 to eat when I am lucky to get 1/2 a cup of food down!!

So I asked for the manager, and showed him my card. TO MY SHOCK AND SURPRISE, he said he sees these cards all the time and agreed to charge me $6.00 (childrens price)! They still made money off me :-), but how cool is that!!

So my question is, how many of you have card like this?? And if not, WHY AREN'T YOU ASKING FOR ONE???

I heard that one exisited but I don't know if my doc knows abou it. My favorite resturants have told me to get the card and they will charge me kid's price from here on out. I will check on it Wednesday at my post op appointment.

I have one, but I haven't used it yet. I don't do buffets normally, but that would be the one time I would/will! I like taking home leftovers so it works out fine just to order from the menu. I always have a box to take home!

Yes, I was given two. I keep one in my wallet and one in the car. Mine appears to be directed at other doctors to seek his advice before prescribing medication. I don't know how I'd go using it in a restaurant...time will tell lol. :)

I had one until my purse was stolen in Las Vegas in October. Argh...I need to get another one from my doctor. I didn't realize that you were provided with discount meals because of the card. Nice perk!

I have one, use it all the time - Chilis has a great kids menu - I order a bbq chicken breast w/mashed potatoes, and the drink was included (apple juice) - $3.99

'twas awesome...

of course now I just get boneless shanghai wings and take half home.

I have one. In the bottom right corner it says "this person can only eat small portions of food at a time (half a cup or 3 to 4 oz)". I doubt I will ever use it, but it also has some medical info on it so I stuck it my wallet anyway.

i also have a card

its kept in my wallet and its there for medical reasons i think

i should try that here in Australia and see if it works

I asked my Dr about it and he didnt have any so I went to the inamed site and emailed them and they sent me a few straight away. If any of you cant get them from your Dr email inamed.

Guest pokergirl

I just got banded two weeks ago and they gave me a card. Didn't know that I can get discounts, though. Thanks for the info!

I have one...I have used it at a few places that didn't want me to order from the kids meal. After showing them the card no problems. I don't use it alot but I have it just in case. It is also good to have in your purse or wallet for medical reasons.

I've used mine once or twice. Most places don't like adults ordering from the kids' menu, but once you show them the card, they'll usually make an exception for you. (They did for me.)

My surgeon gave me my card right at the hospital when I was banded. EVERYONE should get one, as it explains the medical stuff to hospitals if you ever need to go as well. I've used it for that purpose multiple times already as well.

I have the card, but I've never used it for restaurants. Normally when I go out I have dinner with my DH, and he's banded too. We generally split a meal, and no one has ever given us greif over that.

When I went to Vegas for the Bash, we didn't hit any buffets, but Christina (I'llsucceed) and I split Breakfast.

I like leftovers, so I'm not bothered by the extra food.