Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is YOUR Second Option for WLS?

Another member and I were briefly running this over through a PM...

IF something happened to our band, would we chose another weightloss surgery to continue our weightloss journey.

For me, I would. Not the GBP though, something else... but what? At this current weight, I wouldnt qualify for another surgery. So? What are the other options?

Im 30 pounds from original goal weight. If my band had to be removed, I wouldnt feel safe having another procedure at this weight - so do I gain 100 pounds to qualify? I cant imagine what this would do to my system!

My MIL had her stomach stapled 20 or so years ago. She still struggles here and there, always needing to lose 20 or 30ish pounds.

But she is healthy. And Happy!

No malnutrician. No worry of erosion. No reflux. No port flipping or band slipping. No problems with gas...

And this is 20 years later.

I know this is a lapband support group. But Ive been having problems of my own. So I cant offer very much lapband support right now :) .

I guess I just want to plan ahead. Cause any one of us could be the next Michelle or Trish or Jonathon or Darcey... and the list goes on.

And this stuff about trying to do it on my own (bandless) - nope, not me! I need a tool. I couldnt have done this with out something! (you go, Michelle - cause I know you can do it!)

So, what other option would you chose, if you had to face being bandless?

I'd like to know more about this gastric stimulator implant device thingy (to put it in techical terms). That sounds like a good Plan B for me, should I erode and lose my band. Well, that might be Plan C, and Plan B might be the VG band. I don't know of any erosions with that one. Does anyone else?

Oh, and no GP of any kind for me. I'm about 50 pounds from goal. I have lost 1/2 of my excess weight so far. I have lost 20 on my own and 30 with the band.

Can I just vent here for a sec?

I just wish the nagging would go away. It doesn't help that my tummy has felt funny these last days. I'm hoping it's psychosomatic! LOL But I had a tough meal on Friday...too dry, too rough, it was a grilled chicken with shrimp, rice pilaf, steamed broccoli that was still pretty raw, and I should have ordered some type of side of Pasta sauce for it and I might have fared better. I PB'd twice on that meal (I tried to eat the leftovers later, duh) then I had to do liquids for the rest of the day, then I PB'd Breakfast Saturday so I REALLY did liquids after that. Today is Sunday and I have eaten mushies, very soft foods all day and seem to be doing fine. Although as I left the restaurant after lunch today, my lower stomach felt spasm-y??? for a few minutes. Don't know what's up with that but it doesn't help my erosion paranoia. Ya know? KarenB posted about a Nutcracker esophogus, and that got me to thinking. I suppose it wouldn't hurt my band to take Prilosec twice a day for a week or two. Every burp, hiccup, fart, and twitch has me concerned. SIGH.

I don't know - I would try to be re-banded - except that I don't have the money to do so and who's to say the 2nd one would last either? I would also take a mighty interest in this new gastric pacemaker - never would I ever have gastric bypass or stapling - I like my organs just the way they are and I would choose to be a fatass for life before having my organs cut up and re-arranged.

If I was faced with losing my band, I guess I would look into the Duodenal Switch that Sue was talking about. I have looked at all the other options and I think that is the one for me. I don't like the aspect of it anymore than any of the other surgeries but I know me. I would gain all the weight I just lost and then some if I lost my band. I would need something. So the DS is for me.

Uhmmmm...that is a tough question...I been mulling it over ever since our beloved members have started having their band issues. I would honestly say that I would have to have something to aid me. The Gastric Shock Thingy(borrowing Kathy's highly technical term here) :-) would probably be my next option. No bypass for me...ever. However, having said that, if I could do it on my on, I wouldn't need the band....having said that though, I would also be hoping that if I lost my band, I would be far enough in my journey to have learned alot about myself, my eating habits and how to control them...or how to eat like a skinny person and no longer need the band...oh yes there's a fantasy if there ever was one...lol. ...ok take a breath. :-)

Band or nothing for me. If I'd tackled this problem 20 kgs ago I think I could have done it without the band, indeed I would have had to because I would have been merely overweight, not obese.

I know I need some help, mainly because the weight I have to lose - around 35kg is just so staggering to me, I cant see it happening. I cant get started, tomorrow never comes, I'm not good at deprivation, I'm a terrible dieter. During periods of my life when I've decided I"m never going to diet again, I've lost weight. Take away the obsession with not eating and I stop eating too much. Trouble is my weight problem is too big now for such an easy solution.

But I know I'm very good at avoiding gaining weight when I set my mind to it. I know my danger periods and I can avoid gaining. I went through an entire pregnancy and didnt gain weight due to nothing more than my own determination - and it didnt require horrible deprivation, it just involved everything in sensible portions.

I think if I lost the weight and then lost my band, I could keep the weight off. I've learned a huge lesson about not ignoring small gains and I've learned huge lessons about how much exercise helps my body to maintain a stable weight. I may be kidding myself but I'd give it a try, so I would definitely never ever consider gastric bypass surgery.

hi

Even though I am still fat after having struggled with the band for nearly 7 months now I would be to scared to do any other operation.....it is so bad to feel sick and in pain a lot of the time and if the "safest" operation can leave me desperate for relief and totally isolated in my pain,who says any other operation will be different?

If I know nothing would go wrong DPD/DS.Duodenal switch.....for sure....it seems to be a big operation and big success rate.....

OMG Eileen, you're too funny.

If the being rebanded was not an option, I think I'd first try to maintain what I've lost, then try to continue with my improved eating habits, (since banding), such as no bread, and very little red meat. I surely hope I don't have to make that decision any time soon.

Not sure what I'd do. Probably try to be rebanded. If that wasn't an option, then I'd definately turn back to full on vegetarianism, if not veganism.

I agree that I refuse to have my innerds rearranged, so any of the other surgeries are out for me. I would probably look into the gastric pacemaker thing too.

I'll have the band or nothing at all. The other surgeries are just not right for me which is why I chose the band in the first place. If I am ever faced with the prospect of losing my band I may explore my rebanding options, or just try to maintain my banded weight loss.

I'll have the band or nothing at all. The other surgeries are just not right for me which is why I chose the band in the first place. If I am ever faced with the prospect of losing my band I may explore my rebanding options, or just try to maintain my banded weight loss.

This is me. I'd give it a year or two to see how I do bandless, and then if it's not working out I'd explore rebanding.

But I had a tough meal on Friday...too dry, too rough, it was a grilled chicken with shrimp, rice pilaf, steamed broccoli that was still pretty raw, and I should have ordered some type of side of Pasta sauce for it and I might have fared better. I PB'd twice on that meal (I tried to eat the leftovers later, duh) then I had to do liquids for the rest of the day, then I PB'd Breakfast Saturday so I REALLY did liquids after that. Today is Sunday and I have eaten mushies, very soft foods all day and seem to be doing fine.

I completely sympathize with you!! I'm still feeling Thanksgiving leftovers from Saturday. :rolleyes Stay on liquids or mushies for another day to two, and I'll bet all will resolve. We have to remember that these rough meals take a toll that really has to be allowed to resolve; just because we're feeling OK at the next meal is NOT a license to do it again.