Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is my nutritionst keeping me fat

Is my nutritionist keeping me fat?

scale is the same. Since banding shirt size from 2x to xl-large, Waist 44-46 now 38)

In addition to trainer have working with a nutritionst who has been increasing my calories. She wants me to eat at least 1800 a day. Granted I am eating more and weight is stable but I really want to loose at least another 30 lbs or so.

I keep a food journal etc. Since last week the scale has started to move, I droped my calories to around 1300, very well balance, also cut down on artifical sweetners, and also protien drinks etc. She looked over my food journal today and said I really need to eat at leat 1700 to 1800 and be very consistant. She said to eat.

200 grams Protien etc. and put the protien drinks back in. So really not sure what to do. Made an appoitment with a the Nutritionist I went to as part of the LAP-BAND®. Last time I had a fill they said to decrease the carbs, i am now eating about 150 grams a day. But I really fell bad when I cut them too low espically when I work out. On Monday I had some meetings so did not eat before my work out and really felt bad.

Today food, which I increased per her advice was as follows,

Breakfast, Egg on Pepperidge farm deli flat.

Snack: Mellon

Lunch: Eggbeaters, Deli Flat, swiss cheese

Snack: Protien bar and shake

Dinner: chicken / Bison , salad

Snack: Protien Shake, 1tbs peanutbutter

Total: 1735 Calories, 149 Protien, 48 Fat, 173 Carb, 34 Fiber.< /p>

Would love to have any help.

Thanks

This is a hard one. I've always been of the opinion you eat less, you move more, you lose weight.

BUT - losing fat vs losing fat and muscle is quite a different issue. I've got to the stage where I'm a stable, healthy weight but I'm a little disappointed with the flabbiness - and that sounds a little vain given I dont even need any PS but there you go, its how I feel.

i can tell by looking at my body that there is still a little too much fat vs muscle there even though weight is right so..... obvious answer is to gain some muscle. To do that you HAVE to eat, its very very very difficult if not impossible to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time, maybe men can manage it, women sure cant. Muscle does need calories and Protein to grow. For me, to achieve that would entail what you're going through, eating more than I feel comfortable about eating, being sure I will gain weight and get bigger etc. But its how you gain muscle and lose fat.

So I guess it depends what your goal is. I think you have two options - you can lose the weight first and then worry about the fine details of your body composition when your weight is where you want it, or you can lose the weight a LOT more slowly but probably have lots of muscle and have lost only fat at the end.

Either way, you can get to the same outcome, personally I'm happy to have gotten to a goal weight and size and now I might worry about body composition. I'm not so afraid to add calories if I'm not looking for a loss on the scale, in fact I'll probably put the scale away.

Edited by Jachut

I've heard that 1200 calories is a good level for weight loss. Very important to eat something nutritious before working out.

Best wishes to your continued success and getting past your long plateau.

Sue

I would eat what you feel comfortable with, your body will give you honest feedback.

As long as you aren't gaining inches, I wouldn't worry too much about the scales. Especially being a man, you have a lot of muscle and if you are building on that, the muscle you gain will weigh more than the fat that you are burning off.

I know for me when I'm working out, I def have to eat more and I never lose weight, but I do drop in size which for me is the most important thing.

Keep up the good work, you're doing great!

My dr. told me 12-1500 cals a day. I also believe you should stay above 1000 to lose or you will store fat.

Good luck

Ross, you're making great progress so don't get too frustrated.

What do your workouts consist of (strength/cardio etc)? And how are you measuring calories burned?

Just remember that body composition is more important than scale numbers.

For fat loss I like a variable calorie deficit of 500 - 1000 calories derived from a combination of exercise and decreased food consumption. Main exercise focus on significant cardio - but still getting several strength training sessions a week.

What this means is you are going to be eating more food than you would likely find reasonable - that's because you are making a lifestyle change and not on a diet. Low calorie diets kill your metabolism.

What, when, how you eat is very important too, but a general balanced intake (ie not low fat, carb, etc.) is the best approach.

Good luck!

Brad

I think you should try out what she has to say. I eat between 1000-1200 cals a day. I aim for 1500 but its hard. My trainer told my I am eating for someone half my size and that my body is using my muscle because I am not eating enough food. He told me I need to eat more! Its hard with the band because I get full pretty quickly. I am usually eating every 2-3 hours even though I am not hungry but it is boosting my metabolism.

Try it for a couple weeks and see if you get the results you are looking for. Does your trainer take your body fat? Is it lowering? My stayed the same but I was losing weight, this is when I got the stern talking to about eating more!

Good luck!

I think you should try out what she has to say. I eat between 1000-1200 cals a day. I aim for 1500 but its hard. My trainer told my I am eating for someone half my size and that my body is using my muscle because I am not eating enough food. He told me I need to eat more! Its hard with the band because I get full pretty quickly. I am usually eating every 2-3 hours even though I am not hungry but it is boosting my metabolism.

Kudos to your trainer! It is often overlooked that very low calories over a period of time is self defeating behavior! Our body can store carbs (fat!) but the only way it can store essential amino acids is lean muscle tissue. So if your aren't nourishing your body with complete Protein sources then guess where it's going to get them instead...

Brad