Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need low carb food advice

I went for my initial consult today and having already done WW which counted towards my 6 month monitored weight loss I only have to go through all the testing to get my surgery.

My surgeon reccomends eating low carb and high Protein. Also not eating any yogurt, Soups and liquidy foods. I looked in my fridge when I got home and realized the foods I have been eating have quite a bit of carbs.

So what kind of food do you reccomend to eat? One thing I will not eat is fish, I hate the smell, just so it is not suggested.

Also curious on something else, I was planning on post op to continue using Weight watchers, I feel it is a good plan and I can lose on it, I just eat to much right now which is where the lap band will come in. But my Dr. said only eat 3 meals a day no Snacks, in WW you can eat your points at whatever times you want.

Has anyone ever not followed their Dr.s reccomendations and did that? I know there are people on the board that do WW after the band.

Thanks for your help.

I know you posted this awile ago but here are my thoughts: I dont think it matters what you eat if you burn more cal than you eat you will loose weight. I like low carb because I dont have room for the carbs so If I stick to Protein and veggies for the most I will loose weight. Also carbs (except bread) go down so easy for me. Ice cream, chips, rice ex are sliders for me so I always eat to much! I don't avoid fruit carbs just cant eat much of raw fruit. My doctor told me to eat every 3 hours while awake. I can never eat to much at one time and I feel like if I did not eat every 3 hours or so I would starve. I only eat 50-100 cal. at a time except for dinner because I have more time to sit and focus on eating. Hope this helps and hope you are doing good!

chicken, pork, turkey. some say the darker meat has more moistness than the white and they can tolerate it better. Some of the higher end deli meats (chicken, turkey), eggs, Tofu are some examples of low carbs, high Protein.< /p>

You can eat quite a bit of variety on low carb - any eggs, meat, cheese, poultry, seafood and non-starchy vegies.

I typically start my day with 2 scrambled eggs in .2 oz butter.

lunch and dinner varies and I have one of the following:

Chef's salad: A bed of romaine with a chopped hard boiled egg, 1/2 oz crumbled bacon and 1/2 oz shredded cheese with 2 Tbs of full fat homemade blue cheese dressing.

chicken or tuna salad made with real mayo, chicken/tuna and chopped celery on half a Tomato

3 oz Protein (grilled, baked, pan fried, etc.) and a cup of vegies (broccoli, asparagus, green Beans, etc.)

I find that a low carb diet free of grains, fruit, dairy and starchy vegies keeps me from feeling hungry. I can live on about 900 calories a day without hunger, although sometimes I get up to about 1100 if I decide to have bacon for Breakfast or cream in my coffee.

I wouldn't worry too much about what your doctor wants when it comes to diet. Keep in mind that nutrition and diet are not part of a doctor's medical training. Even the bariatric surgeons have a sad deficit of kknowledge in this area.

Bottom line - the best diet is whichever one you can stick to consistently.