Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck again- this time, not so happy :(

So, Im on week 3 of my post-op diet and I really haven't had any issues with any foods thus far. Last night we ordered chinese food. I ate a few pieces of unbreaded chicken and a little lo-mein and I got stuck on something. I threw up 3 times, slimed, pb'd, and 18 hours later I'm still uncomfortable. I'm having a lot of cramping and burping that wont go away and Im nervous to even drink anything because Im afraid I wont be able to keep it down. I barely slept last night so I'm grumpy too.

I'm feeling exhausted and discouraged and even having second thoughts about this whole process. I don't even have a fill yet and I'm this uncomfortable??

Has this happened to anyone else? Is is possible that I've done serious damage to my band?

(Also, I have left a message with my surgeons office and I am waiting for them to call me back but just want to hear from fellow bandsters.)

I gues from what I've read here, that after a fairly painful "stuck" incident that you can have swelling that lasts a couple days. People who are pros at this say to go back to liqids for a while and add food gradually again. I had one such problem last week after a fill and that's what I did. It finally simmered down...for a while I thought I was going to have to go get an unfill. It took a day and a half to feel normal though. I sipped cold liquids to reduce any swelling and that made it feel better.

I'm having a lot of cramping and burping that wont go away and Im nervous to even drink anything because Im afraid I wont be able to keep it down.

If you haven't drank any Water in 18 hours the cramping you are feeling is probably dehydration.

Your system requires water whether it hurts or not.

If the water does come back up, try eating crushed ice a little spoonful at a time.

Also remember that food like the noodles can possibly "swell" up in your stomach pouch. I have been pretty much playing it by trial and error after surgery. For me, I can eat some noodles, but one bite of rice or bread (even eggs!) and I am stuck for an hour!

And yes, go liquid for a day or so and you will feel better again!

I always tell my friends that this wasn't a miracle weight loss surgery.. the hardest part of our loosing the weight is still in eating, just a different way:wink2:

Good luck to you!

So, my surgeon was concerned that I may have had a slip. I'm only 3 weeks out so thats pretty crazy. Needless to say, I've been really stressed about it which hasn't made it any better. Finally, 20 hours later, Im drinking and keeping the liquids down. But I've been miserable all day. Is it normal for a "stuck" episode to last this long and be so debilitating? Or might it be something worse? Anyone have anything like this?

Tinksmom, were you also feeling like you couldnt even drink liquids when you had that feeling? Im trying to figure out if this is just the "swelling" post being stuck, or if I've actually done damage...

I've been banded for 2 years and I've only had one episode like yours and I've been stuck plenty of times. Of course, I've also learned how to handle a bad stick. Once I've been stuck, I go on liquids for at least 24 hours. If I have swelling (I can feel it), I eat lots of ice and only drink really cold things. I don't even try to eat. The next day, I move to mushies. I've found this works for me.

With only being three weeks out, you're still doing alot of learning and you'll figure out what works best for you. Hopefully, you don't have a slip.

Let us know how you are doing.

Cindy

So, I think that my stuck episode lead into a heartburn episode. I've never had heartburn so it was a foreign feeling to me. So I think the stuck, followed by heartburn, followed by the residual swelling of being stuck, created the perfect storm. Has anyone ever experiences anything like this? I took Protonix and within hours i was feeling better and keeping down my liquids.

So, I think my band is still in place, and Im in the clear, for now :)

I'm still very curious to hear if anyone had an experience like this so any other feedback would be great!

**Update**

I went for a fill yesterday and the RN discovered that I had 2cc's in my band, which were not supposed to be there. She said that was probably the reason for my discomfort early on. She added 1 cc and I was so uncomfortable that she had to take half out.

So, thats my story. I'm feeling good now!