Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and Screwing up

Guest Codycoco

Guest Codycoco

Help everyone,

I'm Coco and I was banded in Mexico two weeks ago. I had surgery on Friday and by Wednessday I felt so starved that I began eating solid foods. I have eaten solid foods for about a week. I felt a little gassy and tight but I didn't throw up. I only loss about 6 lbs. I contacted my doctor and he told me to go back to mushy foods for the next two weeks. I feel like such a failing idiot!!! How could I go through so much, not to mention spend so much money and still be eating? Has anyone ever experienced this or am I the only nut-case?

On a brighter note, I did go back to mushy foods today and my goodness was it difficult! I have vowed to stay on them for the next two weeks. I hope that banding get easier after the first fill? Can anyone let me know if their appetite was greatly reduced after their first fill and how does it feel? Are you tight, gassy, always feeling full? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Coco

Hi Coco, well, you know why it is important to be on soft and much food right now, so you can heal properly.

I don't know that you are going to get the answer you are looking for about what a fill feels like, since I think like so many other things about the band, it is intensely personal. I don't always feel full, I think everyone feels hungry because that is part of the human condition. I know that it is very important to not let yourself get too hungry because that is when we get into trouble, we eat too fast, take too big of bites and end up stuck or PBing.

You will learn, hopefully not "fullness" but what it feels like to be satisfied with your meals, maybe for the first time in your life.

Good luck and welcome to LBT and to the Banded Gentry

I went to my support groups the other day and found out that some people did the same thing as you did. Their reason was that they wanted to try out foods on their own. I, on the other hand, am so anal retentive that I did exactly what the doctor ordered. I stayed on liquids for a total of 6 weeks. I always do what people tell me to do :) The benefit to me was that I lost over 30 pounds in that time period! ONe of the other girls who was banded on the same day as i was started eating in week two and lost very little. It turned out that her band was just too loose and as soon as she got her third fill she really started losing weight. Take care and try to stay on the mushies for your own health.

Coco-

I'm right with you. I was banded on 11/9 and started eating solids 1 week later. I've had a few problems ie vomiting on Thanksgiving. It's been very difficult...I never knew food had suck a hold on me. I wake up each morning with the best intentions and then here comes the BIG F!!! I FAIL! I'm scared that my band is going to slip. How do you know? I don't have heartburn or acid reflux.

You're not alone......it's hard. We just need to take it minute by minute.

Good luck to you Coco.

Kelly

Hey Coco,

I'm glad to hear your back on mushies and your going to succeed. I was starving from day 1. I mean I remember laying in the hospital wishing I had a burger, thats how bad it was. The only reason I stayed with what the doctor said to do was because I was scared. The healing part is just to important to me.

Your not alone, hang in there. We're all learning right along with you.

Good Luck !!

You are NOT a failure...(keep repeating that)

You only fail when you quit trying!!!!!!!!!!

I was very hungry after my banding and I didn't get my 1st fill for many months down the road and after that fill WHOA>>>NELLLY!!

I didn't want to eat anything..talk about some restriction...I still have some and that is with only one fill. Keeping busy helps more than you know...When I am at school I find that I have sat in on 2 3 hour lectures and have sipped Water ONLY!

I have to make myself eat sometimes...One of my biggest challenges is watching my family eat whatever they want...Then I try a bite and viola`! I am stuck and can't breath!! It's like one of those electric doggy collars...No ..Jake!!! Don't go near the road!!!....ZAP!!!!

Good Luck ..You can do it!

Hey Coco,

New beginings are a beautiful thing! I agree with everyone elses posts. Take time to heal and solids will be in your future.

Psych yourself out that this is a game and you are in total control, don't give the control to the food. I play keep away constantly. Keep your head in the game and kick some butt!!

Success is just as scary as failure most times - take a chance for yourself! ROAR!!!

P.S. there is no failures around here, just mere setbacks, dust yourself off and enjoy the adventure!