Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heavy drinker considering surgery

I weigh 340lbs. I have weighed over 300 for 20 years. I have tried diets and exercise, but have never lost more than 40lbs.

The fact is (deep breath) I drink WAY TOO MUCH. I have been able to cut back to a bottle of wine 3 days/week, but I know this is still too much. I used to drink 12 beers/night for many years.

I am fearful that my doctor will tell me I odnt qualify for the surger, and perhaps he is right. I can understand why. I also think the alcohol has messed up my metabolism and even as much as I have cut back it's reminance has kept me from losing weight.

I am not looking for a "join AA discussion" but am trying to see if my own thoughts run the same as others.

I know somebody that had by-pass. He lost almost 200 pounds in a little over a year. 3 Years after that he had gained it all back thanks to Budweiser.

The surgery may work for you but need to look at cutting back a little more on the alcohol. It's empty calories. All carbs and sugar.

I binge every few weeks or so but not on a regular basis.

Another thing to keep in mind is that alcohol causes the loss of inhibitions and if you get a good buzz on you may decide to hit the buffet.

I'd definitely discuss it with a bariatric surgeon and nutritionist.

Well apart from the fact that drinking that quantity on a regular basis is obviously a major health hazard it could cause problems with surgery and recovery.

Add to that the fact that an average bottle of red has about 500 calories - empty calories .

You need to think about what you want and what you are prepared to do to get there.

If you want better health and a longer life then you already know that you need to lose weight, eat healthier and cut back on your drinking.

If you do get banded then you will probably be looking at between 1000 cal - 1800 cal per day. If you drink 500 of them it doesn't leave much for food.

Another thought.

Your Dr will need to know about your drinking habits as excess alcohol is one of the causes of a fatty liver.A fatty liver can cause serious problems at the time of surgery. It can cause the surgery to be cancelled or for them to do it as open rather than keyhole surgery.

When I first read this last night my reaction was of course you shouldn't have it done if you are going to keep drinking, but then I thought well being banded and weighing less and still drinking is better than staying obese and still drinking. Maybe if you started having some success in losing you might decide to reduce your drinking more. Good luck with whatever you decide.

alcohol can help cause erosion why bother if your only going to hurt your stomach?

Plus you get drunk so much faster after being banded. So unless you want to be wasted 3 times a week it would be best not to drink so much when banded.

Keep in mind that many surgeons wont even perform surgery on a person until they stop drinking or smoking. Plus, your liver is responsible for the production of coagulation factors (blood clotting). Drinking also increases your risk of complications. Talk to your surgeon and see if they can help you.

alcohol can help cause erosion...

Source please

Originally posted by Btrieger

Another thing to keep in mind is that alcohol causes the loss of inhibitions and if you get a good buzz on you may decide to hit the buffet.

Bay,

I totally agree with btrieger! I rarely drink, but the other day, I went out with friends and had a few drinks. Before I knew it, I was picking at the cheese fries on the table. With no alcohol in me, I most likely would not have eaten them. I also had a friend who lost a lot of weight with GB. She enjoys her 4 or 5 Miller Lites a night and has gained a little over half her weight back. Not only can drinking hinder your weight loss, but excessive drinking is just plain bad for your health. Getting this surgery is mainly about getting healthier.

Edited by jllybean1982

If you read the product information of the LAP-BAND System, you will see that one of the contraindications is if you have alcohol or drug addiction.

I don't know the OP, so I don't know whether there is an addiction issue; however, if there is, the physician must be told about it so that s/he can help the OP make the best decision. It really is critical that you tell your doctor everything. Omission of anything is not fair to YOURSELF. Don't you want the best possible outcome for YOU? I surely want the best possible outcome for you. :scared2:

I weigh 340lbs. I have weighed over 300 for 20 years. I have tried diets and exercise, but have never lost more than 40lbs.

The fact is (deep breath) I drink WAY TOO MUCH. I have been able to cut back to a bottle of wine 3 days/week, but I know this is still too much. I used to drink 12 beers/night for many years.

I am fearful that my doctor will tell me I odnt qualify for the surger, and perhaps he is right. I can understand why. I also think the alcohol has messed up my metabolism and even as much as I have cut back it's reminance has kept me from losing weight.

I am not looking for a "join AA discussion" but am trying to see if my own thoughts run the same as others.

Forgive me for being blunt with you. It's not my intentions to hurt anyone but I was always taught to tell the truth no matter what the costs. So here goes.

Here is the question that you need to ask yourself. Do I want to be healthy? Or do I want to die of weight complications and liver disease from drinking to much? Grant it even people that eat healthy and lose weight can get cancer or have a heart attack. HOWEVER your chances of dieing of weight complications and liver disease from drinking to much are greater.

We all have to give a little to get alot. If you want to live then I would suggest giving up the bottle and either try the weightloss on your own or look into Weightloss surgery. No one can make you do anything. If you don't want to take care of yourself, then the doctor shouldn't put all of his/her efforts into trying either.

I still enjoy a drink now and then. In my younger years I used to drink pretty heavily. Before surgery I used to enjoy a 6 pack of beer once or twice a week also. Now I enjoy a 2-4 wine coolers or a glass of red wine maybe once a month. No one said you have to stop living. You just have to be commited to making a lifestyle change.

Most people drink in excess because they are depressed. Not because they truley enjoy drinking. So maybe you should start there first.

Again sorry if I offended. Good luck to you no matter what you decide. Hopefully your decision will be to stick around for longer.

Source please

A little of the ol' Google and I found this regarding erosion and alcohol....See number four.

http://arturorodriguezmd.com/lap-band-erosion

Edited by ardelia

A little of the ol' Google and I found this regarding erosion and alcohol....See number four.

http://arturorodriguezmd.com/lap-band®-erosion

Thanks!

I have printed this off and will talk to both my nutritionist and surgeon about it.

I love to drink every couple of weeks but even more, I eat spicy food every day of the week. I asked about both and was told that there would be no issues.

coffee is also on this list for causing erosion. How many drink a pot a day without issue. As are vinegar and soy sauce.

Thanks!

I have printed this off and will talk to both my nutritionist and surgeon about it.

I love to drink every couple of weeks but even more, I eat spicy food every day of the week. I asked about both and was told that there would be no issues.

coffee is also on this list for causing erosion. How many drink a pot a day without issue. As are vinegar and soy sauce.

Yes. No spicy food. That may very well kill me. :scared2: If no spicy food is my biggest problem, though, then SIGN ME UP!

It seems as though the foods listed are the ones people are commonly told to avoid if they have an ulcer. I could be wrong but I thought that it was no longer believed that ulcers are CAUSED by these foods. I thought that in the majority of cases it is believed to be the H Pylori bacteria that causes the ulcer and that these foods aggravate it.

I wonder if in erosion it is being caused by these foods or if again the patient has H pylori?

I am sure that everything in moderation is fine. I would think (but i am not a DR) that it would take excessive amounts of coffee,alcohol etc to cause this type of problem. Especially as liquids do not generally stay in the pouch - they go straight through so are more likely to contribute to problems in the lower portion of the stomach.