Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could use a little . . . reassurance?

Hi All. Was banded 4/26/10 with a 14 cc band. Weighed 231 (BMI 36) on banding-day. I've had 2 fills for a total of 6 cc. I feel some restriction in that I certainly can't eat in the quantity I once did, and on the 2 occasions I've eaten too quickly I learned all about being stuck and "sliming" - not much fun.

The thing is, I'm 8 weeks post-op and down just 5 pounds, all of which I lost in the first week after surgery. I am able, without discomfort, to eat 1 1/2 to 2 cups of food per sitting. I know this is too much. I felt greater restriction in the day or 2 following the fills, then very little. I also seem to feel greater restriction (that is, satisfaction with much less food) early in the morning. By dinner time, again, very little.

Is this (weight loss, restriction) typical? Is it just a matter of needing another fill?

I'd sure appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Edited by ziggledog

Ziggledog;

What you are experiencing is pretty normal. Especially when you consider that there is not much "normal" about ANYONE'S Lap band experience.

Everyone has a different band experience.

You are only two months out, and you don't have much Fluid in your Band yet. You have a ways to go before you should expect to see much in the way of progress.

Some would say that you are also still in the Healing part of your experience, not even 60 days out.

In the few days post-surgery, the restriction you were feeling was most likely a result of swelling, and had little to do with the Fluid contained in the Band, if there was any inserted at surgery.

So, you are really doing just fine. You just need to give it time. You will no doubt have some additional fills before you begin seeing the band work as you had hoped.

I would suggest that even though you CAN eat more than you know you should...don't. You need to begin eating as though you had the restriction you want. This will make it much easier for the time that you DO have the proper restriction.

Again, be aware that this is a VERY individual process. Just because someone else was able to achieve a specific weight loss in a certain period of time does NOT mean that this is what YOU should accomplish. There are people who go for many months with little or no weight loss until they are able to hit what is known as the "sweet spot", and then the weight loss begins.

Just hang in there, you will do just fine.

S.