Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!! Gained wait on Pre-Op Liquid, WTF?!

OOPS- WEIGHT, not WAIT!! :smile2:

I've been doing really well, am on day 9 of the pre-op Optifast diet and this morning my scale was 1.5lbs heavier!!! WTF?!?!??!?! :biggrin: Now I did have one slip up and had two bites on Lasagna on Monday night, but that was it.

I've normally been missing my last shake of the night, but last night I decided to have it since I've been waking up hungry.

Do you think that could be the cause?? Has anyone else ever GAINED weight on the pre-op diet???

I'm SOOOOOO ticked off. :thumbup: TIA!

Edited by Mommy2Ps

so sorry to hear you gained. I haven't lost anything this week--I got used to losing about 5 lbs a week--on pre op diet. I don't do shakes, its a full liquid diet, but have used shakes for Protein. I have lost 12 lbs for my 2 wk pre op diet, and I go in tomorrow for surgery. I would say just keep up on diet and exercise. I did have regular soft serve ice cream one nite and the next morning I had gained 1 lb. If you are exercising it could be gained muscle mass. I know I haven't been exercising as much as I used to because I am tired on the pre op diet. How many calories are in the shakes? I was told my diet should be 800 to 1000 cals. Good luck. The pre op diet sucks! But in the end we will be rewarded with healther bodies!

How many calories are you on per day. If you are consuming to little your body will not loose weight. I was on a 500 calorie a day liquid diet from surgeons office. In five days I lost less than a pound. Keep in mind I do an hour of cardio a day. At the time I was losing closer to 2 pounds a week on my own partial liquid diet (800-1,000 calories). As I am on a bloodthinner my TOM has been irregular. I will get on the scale and have gained a pound; turns out I am in PMS.

Are you talking about gaining weight in 1 day or over the period of 9 days?

If it is over the 9 days; call your nutrionist.

If it is from yesterday to today; go take a piss and you'll lose it.

Keep in mind too that if it's close to "that time of the month" then you will get bloated and will "gain" Water weight.

It is VITALLY important to take ALL of your Optifast each day.

Best of luck

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Nope, not exercising regularly, so it's not muscle gain.

Nope, not over the 9 days, just overnight.

I'm happy to report that this AM the scale was back down....so probably more or less Water weight gain.

I'm on 800 calories a day, for 14 days. My surgery is set for Tuesday. I can't wait!!!!!!!

Good luck tomorrow, Melissa!! :thumbup:

I've been freaking out about the pre-op too. My weight has been going down, then up, then back down. I've convinced myself that it's not so much about losing a significant amount of weight. It's more about getting your body safer to be operated on. My boyfriend has banned me from the scale and I think that's a good thing. Don't stress yourself out. It only makes it more difficult. You'll do fine. Good luck :thumbup:

My weight fluctuates as much as 6 pounds a day depending on when I weigh myself.

A bottle of Water is about a pound. So every time you drink a bottle of Water, you gain a pound. Unless you've consumed a lot of sodium, most of that water will exit your system on your next trip to the restroom.

If you are bound to get excited with these fluctations; only weigh yourself in the morning right after waking and before showering.

I don't own a scale but know I've lost weight as I have feet and ankles again! However if consuming too few calories your body will go into starvation mode and hang onto any calories you're putting in. One thing I was told about overweight, it means our bodies are working well to sustain us. Excess calories get stored and used during famine periods. You're doing cardio everyday which means you probably need more Protein. Call your NT and also consider Water weight.