Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 5 post op and a few problems

Ok this is a little embarrassing but I need some advice as to whether this is normal.

I had my surgery on Friday evening and everything went well. Spent most of the weekend sleeping. Returned to work on Monday, but when I got home on Monday evening I had really severe diarrhea. This has continued for the last two days and all I am excreting is basically Water. Is this normal?

Secondly a couple of times now about 30 minutes after drinking something other than water I have felt very nauseous and my mouth has filled with saliva. Neither times I was sick.

I would go and see my doctor but he is away at a conference this week.

Should I be worried?

I'm assuming you're on the post-op liquid diet, if so, remember what you eat generally comes out the same way. liquids in, liquids out. Mine did get better after a few days so hopefully yours will as well.

Also, what did you drink? I was told nothing but Water and dilated juice post-op for a few weeks, but I mostly stuck to water with a half of packet of Crystal Light.

I had some pretty bad diarrhea post-op and did report it to my surgeon. He was concerned enough to order a c-diff test on a stool sample. Turned out to be negative and the diarrhea was attributed to too much 'rich' diluted fruit juice and cream Soup. Do you have a regular doctor that you can ask while your surgeon's away?

I had the same after surgery, then I became constipated for a while!

However, diarrhea is not caused by drinking liquids (meaning, "liquids in, liquids out," is not true). If it were, we'd have diarrhea all the time with our Water intake. Diarrhea is caused by any of several things, one of which is stress to your system.

Your body is healing and there are some rough spots right after surgery, but you will get through this! Just remember to stay hydrated!

I had the same problem, it does improve. :biggrin: Its great to have this place too, because I posted and was reassured and it helped me mentally as well just to know that others had experienced the same thing.