Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PROTEIN - Shakes vs Solid Food

I understand if you are not concerned too much about Protein but I do major weight training and lifting and I work out twice a day. A HIGH protein diet is NEEDED to keep and build that muscle. WIthout it, you will lose muscle. My goal is to replace my fat with muscle and only way to do that is high protein.

You still don't need to use shakes instead of food. My ex boss was a body builder and used to compete. He got all his Protein requirements from food. Yes he wasn't banded but he still didn't eat excessive amounts. he would eat egg white omelettes,tuna etc.

Quoting Trudy Williams again.

"About 14 - 25% of your energy intake can come from Protein. That means about 60 - 105g protein each day for a 7000kj(1700 kcal)plan, which is ample for most people with a gastric band".

If you are aiming for 80g that is well within the average.

So you should be able to consume sufficient protein from a normal eating plan without supplementing with Protein Shakes. I tend to agree with jachuts opinion on shakes.I would rather eat real food .

After surgery I only did Clear Liquids for a day as per my plan and then moved onto full liquids.< /p>

I made smoothies with fruit and blended up weetbix (a wholegrain cereal), or egg flips with milk and an egg, I drank V8, Soups (home made ones with lots of vegies and some meat in them blended and thinned with stock to the consistency I could handle at the time), thin yogurt, fruit juice (minimal, too much sugar), plain milk, and as I could handle thicker liquids, I blended down whatever the family was eating if it was suitable with either stock or something like a tin of tomatoes - lean roast lamb and vegies and just a touch of gravy with beef stock makes a surprisingly good Soup, lol.

I'm all in favour of real food.

I understand if you are not concerned too much about Protein but I do major weight training and lifting and I work out twice a day. A HIGH Protein diet is NEEDED to keep and build that muscle. WIthout it, you will lose muscle. My goal is to replace my fat with muscle and only way to do that is high protein.

I think that depends on our goals. I run and do bootcamp (so a lot of bodyweight strength training). My natural build is lightly muscled, I'm not "bulky" at all and dont build a lot of muscle, although I am strong. Now if I wanted to bulk up, then yes, I'd be needing to guzzle the protein. But without focussing on shakes, and supplementing protein in any way, I lost fat, kept my muscle and have gotten a lot stronger along the way, things like full body man style pushups are no problem. I have visible muscle tone, and low enough fat that you can see my musculature, but I dont have bullk, which is what I wanted. I've not needed any more than 60 grams or so a day to achieve that.

I think of my fitness, much as I am proud of it, as layman fitness, I am NOT an elite athlete and for the results I want (and got) I just dont need shakes and protein supplements, and I really dont think a lot of people do. Its perfectly possible to keep your muscle with the average balanced diet (not the word balanced though).

I also lost NO hair and dont have much loose skin.

If you like shakes I'm certainly not arguing you shouldnt drink them, and what suits your body is unique to you, as well. But they're not absolutely necessary for everyone, particularly if they're a chore to get down.

I was banded 12/28/09. My weight was 191 and now I weigh 179. I eat small meals and low fat. I am frustrated that I am losing so slow. What can I do to lose more faster.

I did my shakes post-op while I was on liquids because I could not find another way to get much of any Protein in....I swore to myself that after that I wouldn't drink another shake, EVER. I've tried a variety and hate them. I've tried protein powders and hate them. I try to focus on a well rounded, healthy diet, with emphasis on the protein but I refuse to be anti-carb, I just think there are too many benefits that healthy carbs (fruits, veggies, etc) can give you that you can't really get without them or through supplements. I'm 6 months out and 70+ pounds down, I did start losing hair at 3 months out but that is tapering off now. My doc is happy with my diet and my progress, and so am I.

Post fill I do liquids for 48 hours and stick with Soups (homemade for the most part) and homemade smoothies/yogurt, etc. If I'm ever seriously ill and can't eat solids for an extended period I'll consider the shakes but otherwise I am DONE DONE DONE with 'em.

Thank you everyone for your posts.

I know that my surgeon told me to drink only non caloric fluids and to stay away from slider foods such as shakes. So I've been confused by all the posts and enthusiasm about shakes and wondered if I was missing something.

I can see that this journey becomes individualized.

I drink a Protein Shake every morning because I was never a Breakfast eater. It's not that I'm too tight to eat, just am not particularly hungry in the morning either. So I figure it's a good way to get some Protein and nutrition in to start the day.

I also mix unflavored with Crystal Light when I want to up my protein. It helps when I am going to eat a late dinner and also is a way to help get my Fluid intake in without eating a "snack".

It is a personalized journey. Do what works for you. The more you read on this forum, the more you know the band effects everyone differently.

I drink low carb Protein Shakes for breakfist and lunch and eat lean meat (mostly fish) and some vegs for dinner and if needed I have another later in the evening. I'm not hungry so I don't see the problem.

I have hypothyroid disease a very slow metabolism. I was banded six months ago. My start weight was 191. I am now at 178. I feel that my weight lost is too slow. I believe that I have followed the post -op plan to no avail. What can I do to speed up losing again. It seem that I can only lose if I stay on Protein and a liquid diet.< /p>

Please post your meal plan.< /p>

My doctor recommends Protein Shakes, for all stages of weight loss up until goal. Right now I am pre-op, but in the early stages. I don't even have approval or a date scheduled yet. In order to lose the 5% of my weight required by my surgeon to have the surgery, I am supposed to drink 2 shakes per day as a Meal Replacement, and eat one healthy meal. I am also allowed to have a small piece of fruit, a yogurt or some salad with the shake to help me feel full. Post op will be the same diet once I move on from full liquids.

I don't know why every doctor does things different, but this is what my doctor has told me is good. Do I agree with it? Not really. I would rather eat 3 healthy meals a day. My surgeon also requires my diet to be low carb, including no Beans or nuts. Fruit and veggies are ok, but other than that it's all about the lean Protein (chicken, turkey, tofu, fish, and shakes). I have asked multiple times why it has to be low carb, why no nuts, etc. Every time they say that they have found people have the most success when they follow that plan.

I have been trying to lose weight my whole life, and it's never worked. I figure I might as well at least try it their way, because what I'm doing hasn't worked.

i definitely prefer the Protein Shakes in the morning when my band feels much tighter. I do typically feel a little hungrier sooner than if i ate a regular meal.

Here's one that i really like : )

1 scoop unflavored ProPerformance 100% whey Protein

1 cup light chocolate soy milk

1 frozen banana (if unfrozen, you may want to add ice)

1 tsp. instant coffee

I was put on Protein Shakes for about 2 months prior to surgery. Then I stuck with the shakes and liquids for 1 month. I lost a total of 30 lbs on them(20 lbs post op). About 5 lbs a week; however, post op and once i moved onto mushies/solids, I quit drinking them and I've been losing about 1 1/2 a week. Suffice to say, after 2nd fill, my doctor said to see results, shake intake needs to occur. Apparently, as I thought I was getting enough Protein in per day, I wasn't. Now, I take 1 in morning called AMP from GNC which has 60 grams of protein for 3 scoops. doesn't taste bad and done by morning time getting your protein in for the day. :bored:

Thank you everyone for your posts.

I know that my surgeon told me to drink only non caloric fluids and to stay away from slider foods such as shakes. So I've been confused by all the posts and enthusiasm about shakes and wondered if I was missing something.

I can see that this journey becomes individualized.

And this is the only reason why I would even insert my opinion, just to say there are successful bandsters out there that dont do shakes or even Protein first.

Otherwise, I have no business having ANY opinion on what someone does or doesnt eat. Its an entirely personal decision. I may not particularly believe in the protein focus but that's absolutely no indication that I'm either right or that my beliefs have any relevance to someone else.