Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd fill today and it was informative and I think productive too

I went to a different hospital for my 2nd fill than I did for surgery and the 1st one. Not by choice really, just because the doctor who does fills at the other hospital is on vacation and I didn't want to wait two weeks for my 2nd fill.

The first thing that I found interesting was that the doctor was much more informative than the other one or my surgeon. This doctor just started out by telling me how he approaches fills for 14 cc bands and that his experience tells him that folks typically get restriction at between 8 and 9.5 cc. I then asked him about filling to band capacity and he said that the capacity for a 14 cc band is really only about 12 cc. That's the first I'd heard that it can't actually hold 14 cc.

Then we got started on my fill and he caused a lot more discomfort than the first doctor. I'm still sore in fact. He proceeded to drain my band of the 6.5 cc of saline from fill #1. I asked about it and he told me that he does that because some folks have problems with their bands leaking or whatever and this is a great way for him to be sure that a band hasn't lost Fluid. He mentioned that it's also helpful for patients like me who were filled elsewhere previously. It seems pretty simple as a practice, but I thought it sound and it makes a lot of sense to me.

Once I was filled to 8 cc I did the barium swallow and drank way too much of it and had a horrible case of the burps, but feel better now. Lots of small sips of Water have helped.

So, that's my story. Nothing earth shattering, but a couple of pieces of information that I hadn't previously been aware of. He gave the usual directive about 48 hours on what he termed as 'light liquids'.

My surgeon and PA are always very informative. It makes it a lot easier. Otherwise, I'd feel like I was on an assembly line or something.

This is the first I've heard of the 14cc band not holding 14ccs. I've seen people post here about haveing 11 and 12 ccs in their 10cc bands.

My second fill was to 7cc in my 14cc band and I thought I had hit my sweet spot already.

A week later I was able to finish a 6" sub.

I get my third fill in 2 days from a new PA in my surgeon's office. If she hurts me, I will kick her. The PA that usually does them is great.

Taking the saline out to check is not necessarily a good thing. In Aus they no longer routinely take it out unless they suspect a problem as it can cause problems and affect the pressure within the band.

Makes sense really. Think about what happens to a balloon if you constantly inflate and deflate it.

That's really interesting. I will ask about it at my next visit.

Taking the saline out to check is not necessarily a good thing. In Aus they no longer routinely take it out unless they suspect a problem as it can cause problems and affect the pressure within the band.

Makes sense really. Think about what happens to a balloon if you constantly inflate and deflate it.

Glad you had a good experience and its interesting to hear how other surgeons do things. I have a 10cc band with 5.75cc in it and I THINK I'm good. SOme days I can eat a horse, but most I'm at a good restriction. I find it interesting that your surgeon does a barium swallow after a fill. That sucks! I am SOOOO glad mine doesnt. I just drink Water to make sure it doesnt bubble up in my throat before I leave. I guess the barium would be a very precise way of doing it but I HATE HATE HATE doing it! My PA and Surgeon are very gentle with my fills. One little numbing shot, then the poke to fill. Nothing to it. Never been sore or even felt like anything happened there. Well hopefully this fill helps ya out!