Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all.....Looking for advice regarding the lap band surgery....A friend of mine has had it done with very minimal complications. I know that isnt always the case with others though....I am 36, with a BMI of 36.6...I have always been very athletic, I have been playing sports since I was 4 yrs old, even pregnant I played sports! Ever since my hysterectomy in 2004, my weight has flucuated up and down. I lost about 60 pounds in 2006, but I have gained it all back and then some since. At the time of my weight loss, I had a job where I was on my feet and up and about for 11 hour shift...I have since gone back to a sit down job and I of course have gone back to bad eating habits. I still play sports, but 2 times a week doesnt cut it. I have become severely depressed about my body image, I cannot even look at myself in the mirror without clothes on. I literally shut my eyes and put clothes on.....My insurance does cover the surgery, as long as I meet the medical guidelines, which I feel I do, but that isnt up to me tho!....Any advice, stories is GREATLY appreciated.

Hey sftballpalyer,

I too was very athletic all my life(played softball) and did not really put on the "bad weight" till after kiddos. I was recently banded on Friday the 18th. It is definately worth doing especially if your insurance covers it. I have had no complications, and have even starting walking long walks 5 days after surgery. I am just educated my body on how to handlle exercise now. No gulping of Water after a workout, proper hydration and just getting in the grove. I too had fallen severly off the exercise routine as life progressed, and this has given me a new drive to get it going again. This does not do the work for you, but allows you to be successful if you just put some time into it. The weight does come off easier and I think that mentally that helps to keep you going. My sister did this 2 yrs ago and just last yr ran a half marathon. I truly feel this procedure gets you back where you need to be especially if you have the desire. My advice do your research talk to many on here and make a educated decision. I dont know where you are, but I am in houston and had a awesome surgery team. Pick your surgeon wisely. Best of Luck! Hope to see you on the "banded" side! Oh and PS i have lost 5 lbs in 5 days! YEA!!!

Hey sftballpalyer,

I too was very athletic all my life(played softball) and did not really put on the "bad weight" till after kiddos. I was recently banded on Friday the 18th. It is definately worth doing especially if your insurance covers it. I have had no complications, and have even starting walking long walks 5 days after surgery. I am just educated my body on how to handlle exercise now. No gulping of Water after a workout, proper hydration and just getting in the grove. I too had fallen severly off the exercise routine as life progressed, and this has given me a new drive to get it going again. This does not do the work for you, but allows you to be successful if you just put some time into it. The weight does come off easier and I think that mentally that helps to keep you going. My sister did this 2 yrs ago and just last yr ran a half marathon. I truly feel this procedure gets you back where you need to be especially if you have the desire. My advice do your research talk to many on here and make a educated decision. I dont know where you are, but I am in houston and had a awesome surgery team. Pick your surgeon wisely. Best of Luck! Hope to see you on the "banded" side! Oh and PS i have lost 5 lbs in 5 days! YEA!!!

Thank you for your advice!!! I live in southern California, my surgeon will be through my insurance should I be medically eligible. I believe I am, my BMI is like 38...I have been doing quite a bit of research and talking extensively with my good friend that had it done in October of last year.

I am so hoping that I can get approved to have this surgery. I have tried so many ways to lose the weight and it works while you do it, but once you stop, the weight comes right back it seems! Its put me in such a depression with my self image. I hate the way I look for sure!

Good for you for losing 5 lbs in 5 days. That is great!!!! :biggrin:

Co-morbitities ie diabetes, High BP, sleep apnea are also factors insurance companies look at, so U can have a low BMI, but 1 or 2 Co-morbities or a very high BMI and no other factors, it just depends on your insurance company. I worry about your depression and body image issues though! This is a hard step to take to fix yourself physically, you gotta work on your self-value too. Its a slow process and you got to have determination to make it through the long haul. You will be happy you did it, trust me, but make sure your mind is in the right place too.. Give yourself a little break :) you've taken a good step in a positive direction!:thumbup:

I also have a BMI of 36 and am waiting on approval from insuranc (which I hear that it shouldnt be a problem) What insurance do you have ..that is what the deciding factor would be..all ins. companies are different. I think its awesome you are considering the surgery. I am just tired of fighting the fight and ready for a permament change. I know its a journey and not easy but Im ready. good luck with everything and keep us updated

I went for a dr appt last week and the dr I saw at Kaiser basically said to me "I was not fat enough for the surgery"....I just laughed at her! I am going soon for a second opinion, because I honestly did not like her attitude towards me at all....My current weight as of Friday was 217 pounds....I am 5"4 and according to that, my BMI is like 37.6...Which is considered obese. My BP was 128/86....Which was not high, but I did explain the depression and body image issues and such.....Dr just didnt seem to care! So off for a 2nd opinion I go! :)

If you go to the LAPBAND website it states that criteria for lapband patients should be a 40 BMI or a 35 with comorbities. I definitely think you should run not walk to get a second opinion. You absolutley should qualify ...dont know what this Dr's deal is?? Good luck.

I went for a dr appt last week and the dr I saw at Kaiser basically said to me "I was not fat enough for the surgery"....I just laughed at her! I am going soon for a second opinion, because I honestly did not like her attitude towards me at all....My current weight as of Friday was 217 pounds....I am 5"4 and according to that, my BMI is like 37.6...Which is considered obese. My BP was 128/86....Which was not high, but I did explain the depression and body image issues and such.....Dr just didnt seem to care! So off for a 2nd opinion I go! :)

You really need to go to another Dr. Some Dr's have a very negative attitude when you bring up WLS. My primary Dr. gave me a huge lecture when I mentioned LAP-BAND®®. She tried her best to talk me out of it, but all she did was make me mad as she tried to belittle me. She just didn't understand why I didn't just stop eating so much. WTF!!! If I knew how to do that, I wouldn't be fat in the first place!! She made me jump through hoops just to get a medical release letter from her. I did it just because she's been my Dr for years and had all of my info for the insurance. After I get approved for the LAP-BAND®®, I plan to get a new Dr.

I hope you have better luck with the next Dr. Keep us posted!

I have a second opinion appt scheduled for next month....I also have to attend a class through Kaiser that the nurse says is "mandatory" to see if I even qualify to have the Lap Band....Doctors are SOOOOOOOOOO incredibly judgemental. If we had the magic answer on how to stop eating or how to stop being overweight, would we even be talking to a doctor? That is how the last doctor I saw was, just gave me a look like, you are wasting my time and you just need to stop overeating and being lazy and you will lose weight! Acting like I want to be this way....If I wanted to be like this, I wouldnt be begging you to refer me for surgery! :)

Hi all.....Looking for advice regarding the LAP-BAND® surgery....A friend of mine has had it done with very minimal complications. I know that isnt always the case with others though....I am 36, with a BMI of 36.6...I have always been very athletic, I have been playing sports since I was 4 yrs old, even pregnant I played sports! Ever since my hysterectomy in 2004, my weight has flucuated up and down. I lost about 60 pounds in 2006, but I have gained it all back and then some since. At the time of my weight loss, I had a job where I was on my feet and up and about for 11 hour shift...I have since gone back to a sit down job and I of course have gone back to bad eating habits. I still play sports, but 2 times a week doesnt cut it. I have become severely depressed about my body image, I cannot even look at myself in the mirror without clothes on. I literally shut my eyes and put clothes on.....My insurance does cover the surgery, as long as I meet the medical guidelines, which I feel I do, but that isnt up to me tho!....Any advice, stories is GREATLY appreciated.

Advice

This isn't a diet - it's really a total LIFETIME lifestyle change - once we get that through our heads - we have won 1/2 the battle...

Diets don't work - we lose the weight then we go back to eating "normal" - Light Bulb !!! that's what got us fat in the 1st place - eating healthy and exercise with the help of the band for restriction = success

Good Luck on your journey !!!